House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Excellent News, Brilliant.

Excellent news, brilliant...... said BBC News business presenter, Victoria Fritz, to a man from the ONS who had reported house prices up 11.7% in the year to July and that this is not putting people off buying houses.

Has anyone on here ever complained to the Beeb about this kind of bias in their coverage of house prices? Ever had a response? I'm debating whether to waste ten minutes of my time that I suspect will just be duly ignored...

They wouldn't make the same comments during a piece on gold prices going up, or energy prices or whatever, so why with houses? No possible justification for it.

1/ More expensive property > higher wage demands > reduced ability to compete in export markets

2/ More expensive property > higher housing costs, reduced spending power in the rest of the economy > reduced income

3/ More expensive property > reduced ability to induce talented people to relocate > inability to expand / compete

4/ More expensive property > pressure on commerical property development > increases rents

5/ More expensive property > higher rents for businesses > lower profits, fewer start-ups, enterprise supressed

Its absolutely not a good thing for business at all.

How did the idiot who said this get a job as a business correspondent?

1/ More expensive property > higher wage demands > reduced ability to compete in export markets

2/ More expensive property > higher housing costs, reduced spending power in the rest of the economy > reduced income

3/ More expensive property > reduced ability to induce talented people to relocate > inability to expand / compete

4/ More expensive property > pressure on commerical property development > increases rents

5/ More expensive property > higher rents for businesses > lower profits, fewer start-ups, enterprise supressed

Its absolutely not a good thing for business at all.

How did the idiot who said this get a job as a business correspondent?

Low BBC salary

Lives rent free with parents in London

Did unpaid internship

Dad has contacts

Has anyone on here ever complained to the Beeb about this kind of bias in their coverage of house prices? Ever had a response? I'm debating whether to waste ten minutes of my time that I suspect will just be duly ignored...

They wouldn't make the same comments during a piece on gold prices going up, or energy prices or whatever, so why with houses? No possible justification for it.

There's no point - many of us have made complaints about various bias before, and all you ever get is a condescending reply.

In all fairness, I don't think they are necessarily running any sort of scripted agenda; I just think that they are as goggle-eyed with HPI lust as your average UK citizen, possibly a little more so due to the higher wages involved allowing more of them to get into BTL.

The other mistake we tend to make is to assume that the BBC journos are intelligent enough to realise that they're talking shit. I'm not at all convinced that's the case.

As a kid watching Barry Took on Points of View I realised the BBC didn't really take complaints seriously.

As another poster pointed out, BBC bias isn't really some great conspiracy (they're not organised enough for that) it's just that the HPI mindset is the norm amongst the London chattering classes which make up the majority of BBC staff.

Peer pressure and VI / political / management pressure inside the bbc as well. It's a subject that they'll chat about amongst themselves - at the very least.

Even if some journalists don't own a property they'll still know the score.

Then there's the teleprompter/autocue of course.

Edited by billybong

It's good news because it's FREE money. Lot's of FREE money for everyone that joins the ponzi.

Odd then, that the banks rely on this free money to get the economy moving.

Come on, these BBC journos are bombarded with EA or Mortgage lender vested interest press releases and twitter - you would have to be a REALLY GOOD journalist to see through it all and actually put across a balanced view when reporting.

How often do we hear such reports on the TV or Radio?

Just because someone works for the BBC or Sky or ITN does not make them a good journo. 90% of being a 'journo' nowadays is about looking pretty. To be honest, it has been like that for decades but far, far more so in the past 15 years or so.

More great news from Sky:

http://news.sky.com/story/1336642/inflation-slips-but-house-price-growth-surges

Inflation Slips But House Price Growth Surges
There is better news on living costs but the latest official house price figures show buyers will need even deeper pockets.

So lets look at this.

PRICES GOING UP:

"better news "

Are these people just stupid or are they blatantly lying ?

In all fairness, I don't think they are necessarily running any sort of scripted agenda; I just think that they are as goggle-eyed with HPI lust as your average UK citizen, possibly a little more so due to the higher wages involved allowing more of them to get into BTL.

The other mistake we tend to make is to assume that the BBC journos are intelligent enough to realise that they're talking shit. I'm not at all convinced that's the case.

I completely agree. But it happens so frequently that it should be up to the editors or someone at a senior level to send round a memo to the effect of "stop making silly comments like this after every piece on HPI, it makes the BBC look unprofessional", and it would soon stop.

yes and the more people do it the less they will ignore it

It's not beyond the bounds of possibilities that lobbyists in the VI property sector might pay some form of direct/indirect fee or gratuity etc for a positive mention about anything to do with house price increases. They seem to get in everywhere else. All above board of course.

For instance apparently the bbc gets 75% of its money from the government (the licence fee) one of the biggest VIs and then they get 25% from selling programmes such as property programmes.

Don't some get invitations to speak at places as well. It all adds up.

Edited by billybong

Never seen her on the BBC before. This is apparently here, from June last year... looking for 'green-shoots' - happy as anything.

HTB might only create an asset bubble 'in the future'.

We live in a world where so many air-heads have all the housing wealth, complacency and continuous malinvestment.

Just by reading out the autocue the newsreader gets the message - and of course they have briefing meetings about their role and they watch the telly themselves. They're not daft - but that's not to say they all know the full implications of what they're saying.

They're not going to end a programme like that by saying "that's dreadful" or even anything similar. Not at the moment at any rate.

Edited by billybong

More great news from Sky:

http://news.sky.com/story/1336642/inflation-slips-but-house-price-growth-surges

Inflation Slips But House Price Growth Surges
There is better news on living costs but the latest official house price figures show buyers will need even deeper pockets.

So lets look at this.

PRICES GOING UP:

"better news "

Are these people just stupid or are they blatantly lying ?

"There is better news on living costs but the latest official house price figures show buyers will need even deeper pockets."

I read this as saying that a fall in CPI inflation is good but a rise is HPI is not so good.