House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

A Welsh Labour Am Thinks Holiday Homes Should Be Taxed

Bumped into a Welsh AM yesterday and tackled her on the housing crisis in my area.

I suggested a tax on second homes. She said she would support such a move. I asked her what the likelihood of the introduction of such a tax was. She replied that it was low as the people at the top didn't think that second homes and affordable housing were key issues (a colleague of hers added that this was because repo rates were still relatively low - I've heard other Welsh Labour people using this line before).

A Welsh Labour party worker then approached me and told me that housing was barely a political issue anyway as the only people making a fuss were a few moaning FTBs coming to 'surgeries' and a handful of language activists.

A Welsh Labour party worker then approached me and told me that housing was barely a political issue anyway as the only people making a fuss were a few moaning FTBs coming to 'surgeries' and a handful of language activists.

What can you say about this? What can you say?

Bumped into a Welsh AM yesterday and tackled her on the housing crisis in my area.

I suggested a tax on second homes. She said she would support such a move. I asked her what the likelihood of the introduction of such a tax was. She replied that it was low as the people at the top didn't think that second homes and affordable housing were key issues (a colleague of hers added that this was because repo rates were still relatively low - I've heard other Welsh Labour people using this line before).

You have to remember that Labour now represents the broad middle class of whom 70% (a very sizeable majority) own their own homes. The poor, the young FTBs and homeless are not worth spending time on. OLd Labour would have taxed second homes, or at least not given second home a tax break which is true today as 2nd/3rd etc. homeowners only pay full council tax if they live in the home full time. There is no place for the less fortunate in the "Economic Miracle" economy of Gordo and Tony. :lol::lol::lol:

I can imagine the caucus when that was suggested to 70 MPs all with their own holiday home on top of the constituency home and the london digs. I would imagine it is a very key issue NOT to tax holiday homes.

And then of course there are the moaners. Good honest would be uncomplaining taxpayers whose only gripe is that they can't afford to live in their own 1st home. Periferal really :blink:

WTF?

How do you just happen to bump into an AM? Do you work in Assembly or something. You just dont happen to bump into anyone these days.

Second homes. Never mind that crap what about the BTL brigade full stop!

This week I can't help noticing the "New price", "Offers invited" and "Stamp duty paid" on the EA signs

We wait in hope :ph34r: