House Price Crash Forum

Devo Manc ?

Ash4781

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

The Scottish referrendum is maybe helping us all realise, maybe we can be free of London/Westminster/Big Business control/Bankers/Over taxation/state propaganda/state control/ etc etc etc.

Please Scotland, Vote Yes, for all our sakes.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA444
HOLA445

We need to just ditch Westminster completely, ditch the House of Lords, and build a new democratic state with a proper written constitution.

My preference would be for a parliament in Birmingham or York or Liverpool (somewhere not London), with the same PR system as Scotland has. If you have to have a second chamber then it should be of a fixed size and filled by lot like jury duty. Terms should be at most 4 years. MP's 'expenses' should run on the same rules as any other job, or be abolished. They can keep their current salary, which is a fortune now they won't be in London. Ministers should be paid the same as the others.

The Queen can stay as long as the constitution makes it clear she has no power except maybe to defend the constitution - be a neutral head of the armed forces and to force an election should anyone get the bright idea to pass an enabling act.

Any state involving the Westminster establishment will never change anything material. Two-party politics and FPTP ensures that they all end up the same, bribing the favoured parts of the electorate. It all needs throwing out and starting again.

HOLA446
HOLA447

We need to just ditch Westminster completely, ditch the House of Lords, and build a new democratic state with a proper written constitution.

The Scottish people have the chance to do just that but 50% want to say no, that is crazy !!!

The only way the English will get that chance is through a lot of trouble/pain/suffering. That's why I'm moving to Scotland if they vote Yes. I'd rather pay more tax and pay more for food ( and a lot less for housing ) than live under thd control of Westminster much longer.

Anyone coming with me ?

HOLA448

The Scottish people have the chance to do just that but 50% want to say no, that is crazy !!!

The only way the English will get that chance is through a lot of trouble/pain/suffering. That's why I'm moving to Scotland if they vote Yes. I'd rather pay more tax and pay more for food ( and a lot less for housing ) than live under thd control of Westminster much longer.

Anyone coming with me ?

I'm sure plenty are considering it the way the UK is being run at the moment.

It's no way to run a country.

Edited by billybong

HOLA449

I'm sure plenty are considering it the way the UK is being run at the moment.

It's no way to run a country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Address

"and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Instead we have the GetTaeF**k_Address

"and that government of the people, by the people minotiry, for the people minotiry, shall not perish from the earth."

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Anyone coming with me ?

Oddly enough, some Scottish friends contacted me a few nights ago saying they would leave Scotland if it votes for independence.

This will be like India Pakistan all over again - hopefully withouth the mass murder and bloodshed.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Excellent, hopefully a bit of committment behind the sentiment.

However, voters will have to take a more sceptical view of parlentary candidates parachuted in from London, eg Luciana Berger was a controversial one who nevertheless won a big majority. The Labour PPC for City ofChester is a London property owner (collecting expenses via his tenant Labour MP already). Hard to see that he will put up much of a fight.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Anyone coming with me ?

It's crossed my mind, seriously. I have Scottish rellies and genuinely love the country. Plus the optimism about the place post-independence would be exhilarating.

HOLA4418

I quite like that except with 2 amendments.

Firstly I think the upper house should be staffed by representatives from the regional parliaments so the 'executive' is overseen by the local democracies - thereby turning the tendency to centralise on its head. I would also have representatives voted specifically by the professions and the unions etc to provide expertise.

Secondly I would get rid of Queenie. I would reserve the head of state post to the person voted for by the combined arts associations to represent the ultimate in human expression. An inherited postion says all the wrong things about a meritocracy.

(my family were picked out at Disney to be the Disney King and Queen once. We had to get up in the garb and ride on an open top bus at the end of the evening parade waving to what seemed thousands of people lining the Main Street. It was great and just goes to show anyone can do it. All you'd lose is the corruption inherent in the current set-up with all the baubles and grace and favour).

I like these ideas.

I think it's clear that political reform is essential to restore faith in the political process, it will take time, and it will never be perfect, but there really isn't any other option in the medium-term. The question is: Can political reform come in a measured and considered way, or will it come as the result of a messy breakdown of the existing structure? The Scottish independence vote this week will give us some idea of that.

Getting rid of the monarchy is an interesting one. I would be completely in favour of ditching them. I don't see any value in the royal family at all. However, the royals are inexplicably more popular than ever, there's no way a referendum would result in their being abolished. Perhaps if faith could be restored in the democratically elected, we would be more ready to remove the unelected.

HOLA4419

My preference would be for a parliament in Birmingham or York or Liverpool (somewhere not London),

Please no-have you ever dealt with Liverpool City Council-morechips on their shoulders than McCains and totally without any vision,strategy or ability-a total bunch of self serving,self pitying muppets-irrespective of whether its the comrades in the Labour Party(up de Werkers!)or the Illiberals who are beyond a joke.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-should-everything-scotland-gets-7770818

It looks like off the back of the Scotland 'debate' a number of city regions and councils are pushing for the same.

..should be the M62 corridor as a region..... all the way from Liverpool to Hull.....taking in Greater Manchester , Leeds and if they would like Wearside and Tyneside..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4422

Anyone coming with me ?

I doubt you would pay more tax though.

Conservatives seem to conveniently forget illegal foreign wars and a military industrial complex constitute big government too.

While i'd rather see less taken in taxes in the first place, id still rather it be spend on hospitals and such like (even if it is just paying doctors silly salaries) than bombing ISIS or some other Mossad/CIA invention.

HOLA4423

I do think giving cities more power is a bit dumb though. They effectively have this in the US and the net result is business is driven out to the suburbs not under the control of the leftists.

Already the green belt forces houses beyond cities, business is ripe to go too. No one wants to sit in a traffic jam to get into a city, or be forced to sit on some bus with a bunch of chavs.

Edited by Executive Sadman

HOLA4424

Please no-have you ever dealt with Liverpool City Council-morechips on their shoulders than McCains and totally without any vision,strategy or ability-a total bunch of self serving,self pitying muppets-irrespective of whether its the comrades in the Labour Party(up de Werkers!)or the Illiberals who are beyond a joke.

..crowd of Liberals and lefties ...?....frightening .... :rolleyes:

HOLA4425

Exactly. They want tiny cities that can never compete with London in terms of influence and voice. No competition for Westminster.

+1

where I live ib the middle-ish of the country - Brum would take control and hoard the money and the rural dwellers would be left at the wayside (the potholes would never get filled :unsure: )

what is needed is an English parliament for England and English matters leaving the 'British' decisions to a rump of westminster - defence etc - a loose federation as it were.

of course that London would still hog all the 'goodies' and it would be an even bet that London would be the new 'English parliament HQ

I wonder how the rest of Scotland outside the big cities will feel with power and money concentrated in Edinburgh (and maybe Glasgow) a Hebridean farmer/fisherman is worlds away from a trendy Edinburgh 'banker'.

Edited by olliegog