House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scunnered

Buying A New Bed

Is it just me, or is the mattress the only part of a bed that does anything? The rest of it seems kind of useless.

I think it's OK to splash out on a quality mattress occasionally

What you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is up to you.

HPC off topic is a broad church after all.

Is it just me, or is the mattress the only part of a bed that does anything? The rest of it seems kind of useless.

It's just you. The bit underneath it stores bedlinen and towels, and whatever else you see fit to keep there.

Like anything else these days its an absolute minefield. You don't know if you're getting a bargain or paying top dollar for shite with a brand name on it.

Exactly. I've had a tentative look, and there's a vast choice of suppliers and styles of bed, and it appears that there's no upper limit on what you can spend.

I've already been plunged into a state of existential despair in case I end up buying the wrong thing.

Well, when I lived in Japan I suffered from severe back, my back would seize up at night.

Since buying a latex mattress I`ve had no such problem.

Latex is cool in the summer a warm in the winter, unlike memory foam.

Exactly. I've had a tentative look, and there's a vast choice of suppliers and styles of bed, and it appears that there's no upper limit on what you can spend.

I've already been plunged into a state of existential despair in case I end up buying the wrong thing.

The last time I had to buy a mattress I waded through a 186 page thread on MSE which was all set to run even longer if a couple of posters hadn't started hurling abuse at each other. My will to live was notably dented for several days afterwards and I was more confused about the shady world of mattresses than when I started.

This FAQ/ Intro to mattresses on this direct retailer's site was better (at least, last time I read through it)

Bankphobic hpcers use the bedframe to raise the matress off the ground thereby reducing the risk of their loot being consumed by squirrels.

The last time I had to buy a mattress I waded through a 186 page thread on MSE which was all set to run even longer if a couple of posters hadn't started hurling abuse at each other. My will to live was notably dented for several days afterwards and I was more confused about the shady world of mattresses than when I started.

This FAQ/ Intro to mattresses on this direct retailer's site was better (at least, last time I read through it)

We got a mattress from there (factory beds direct).. middle of the range coil-sprung jobbie (about £1000).

We also got a decent cheap memory foam mattress somewhere else for the guest room for about £150 quid.

The coil sprung mattress feels a bit more "sumptuous', but honestly, I can (and do) sleep on both equally comfortably. I think if I were to look again I'd probably go for a cheaper coil-spring or give latex a look. Probably the latter.

I have a custom made bed frame from the nineties (fits 12" boxes of vinyl underneath). Think I am getting too old for the 15 year old futon as constant back problems now, what next? Don't want to spend money.

Bought a mattress from the factory beds link, about £1000 over a year ago, very pleased with it and the site has plenty of good info on the mattress industry scams, even if you do not want one of their offerings. A good aspect of the link is that they accept returns (check this is still the case though) whereas most other places do not.

Bought an oak frame from this place( it is nearby to us so we had a look first before ordering online):

http://www.furnitureplusonline.co.uk/bedroom-furniture/beds/king-size-beds/devonshire-new-oak-5-lfe-bed.html

Not cheap overall at £1500 or so all in, albeit with a 10 year guarantee on the mattress, but I feel the quality is good and if it lasts the guarantee period it will cost a negligible amount. A John Lewis frame we bought was of surprisingly poor quality and was sent back.

Yes, good information on their site and knowledgeable people on the phone.

We bought from the latex/memory/hybrid foam range .... more comfortable, cooler and far cheaper than the Tempur mattress it replaced.

Recommended.

We got a mattress from there (factory beds direct).. middle of the range coil-sprung jobbie (about £1000).

We also got a decent cheap memory foam mattress somewhere else for the guest room for about £150 quid.

The coil sprung mattress feels a bit more "sumptuous', but honestly, I can (and do) sleep on both equally comfortably. I think if I were to look again I'd probably go for a cheaper coil-spring or give latex a look. Probably the latter.

I bought a 400 quid double mattress from them about four years ago for someone else. It's well made and still showing little or no wear. Having said that, I was linking to the info rather than plugging the site. You could easily do worse though, particularly if you just walk into a shop.

I've been happy with pocket coil springs but I might also check out latex next time. The mattresses to avoid in my experience are open coil types. Uncomfortable, short-lived, a real waste of money.

I bought a 400 quid double mattress from them about four years ago for someone else. It's well made and still showing little or no wear. Having said that, I was linking to the info rather than plugging the site. You could easily do worse though, particularly if you just walk into a shop.

I've been happy with pocket coil springs but I might also check out latex next time. The mattresses to avoid in my experience are open coil types. Uncomfortable, short-lived, a real waste of money.

I should probably add that I have no issue with the mattress or the supplier (the only note I would make is that you can't try the mattresses in advance, plus they choose comparisons with what they have, not necessarily with what else is on the market.. so while other manufacturers have systems of springs on springs (thinking John Lewis), the FBD ones are all single set of springs + padding AFAIK).

I think my point was more that mattresses seem to suffer as much from the law of diminishing returns as anything else. I am pretty happy with the mattress for what it is, but I realised afterwards that it probably wasn't worth getting carried away with the budget. Your price point was probably much more sensible in terms of value for money (or considering alternatives like latex).

I guess I wanted to add some balance for anyone fretting about how much to chuck at it. Spend a ton if you want, but don't listen to all the guff about "you spend half your life in bed.." , yeah, sure you do.. but most of it you're unconscious and in the end you probably won't notice the difference anyway.

:)

I think my point was more that mattresses seem to suffer as much from the law of diminishing returns as anything else.

That's my take on it. What makes mattresses a little special in this regard though is that it's such an opaque market you can, if you're not careful, spend the extra and get no return. It's one thing to spend £1k on a mattress and decide you personally would have been almost as satisfied with a 500 quid mattress. Another thing to drop a grand on what really is, with different branding, a 500 quid mattress.

Unless you have specific needs (like back problems or you're very heavy) I'd just go for a basic 1000 pocket sprung mattress - with traditional fillings rather than latex or memory foam.

Pocket springs are much nicer than the cheaper open coil spings.

Something like this made by Deluxe Beds for £199 for a double.

http://www.mattressesworld.co.uk/p/Rennes_1000_Pocket_Hand_Tufted_Mattress.htm?&pla_item=89356

I tested one recently and it seemed very nice but maybe ever so slightly too firm. Paying much more seems a rip off - you ends up paying hundreds of pounds more for an extra inch or two of foam or polyester and a slightly posher fabric for the covering. I really think expensive beds are a massive con.

But, please don't take my word without trying - bed sellers always say you should go and lie on them first as everybody is different!

Solid wood bed frame (about 400 quid) with zero give/movement in it coupled with memory foam mattress (about 100 quid) does the job for me.

Personally I'd never go for a divan due to dust mite allergy, and the bog standard bed frames sag too much in the middle for me. I expect the bed frame to outlive me. The mattress I'm happy to regard as a consumable item and replace once a decade or so.