House Price Crash Forum
R K

Phones4U To Close 550 Stores

The customer service is terrible at EE/Orange/ T Mobile. I think you can now pay to queue jump their call centres confirming how bad they are.

Interesting.......watch this space, the people with the biggest pockets getting the best perks and customer service.....two tiered service with all manner of providers everywhere.

The last time I went in a phones4u shop there were walls of dummy phones with a few desks at the back.

They have concessions in Dixons,a business that has survived in the face of it all.

Yes, the PE company raised £250m in debt and paidf themselves a £205m divi. Ponzi schemes are all about timing :)

EAs next, me thinks! Just watch those property volumes fall.

They have concessions in Dixons,a business that has survived in the face of it all.

Well they merged with Carphone Warehouse. I am not sure what the separate group margins are like. I guess all chips on iphone 6 sales?

Got to feel sorry for staff there but. it has been coming for while. mobile are not a growth industry any more. I am quiet happy with my £60 waterproof and shock proof phone of ebay and 9.99 a monthly ee contract. I looked at the phone in the ee shop and website and i just though the ebay phone was better and i think the ee website suck big time

Worcester has around 5 mobile phone shops cant really see how it supports them all not forgeting all the shops that trade in phones.

For me last recssion really kick of when large shop chain 'woolsworth' collapsed. is this the start of it again?

The contract phones have got more and more expensive but offer very little new nowadays. Yes, they are lovely but there are some excellent sub £200 phones available now. And the Chinese mobile phone makers are coming.

Well they merged with Carphone Warehouse. I am not sure what the separate group margins are like. I guess all chips on iphone 6 sales?

MT hits the nail here for me.I've a smartphone that I've had for years and I just can't see the point of replacing it as the technological improvements haven't created a need that I can perceive.

I think you're right Ash,a good round of i6 sales and they'll breathe for another year but these bricks and mortar businesses will be deleveraging if they've any sense-or more likely banging out the divi's before the bump.

Bought the missus a Sony e1 sim free from them a couple of months ago as they were discounting, I didn't need much in the way of service having done the research myself, but in fairness they didn't try and up sell me either. If you have been thinking about a new phone anyway it may be worth walking by their stores seeing what cash deals there are on offer to clear their stock.

I think this is a bigger story than just Phones4U going under. The mobile networks seem to have taken the decision to concentrate all sales through their own distribution channels. This will enable them to control prices of phones and plans more effectively. I wouldn't be surprised to see all independent shops which resale mobile phone plans being forced out of the business over the next couple of years.

I thought it only used the O2 network. As opposed to being owned by O2. Same way Lebara uses the Vodafone network, etc.

It maybe some kind of joint venture but suspect it is a wholly owned subsidiary. This maybe to get around the regulations. I think Plusnet is still a wholly owned subsidiary of BT?

i see giffgaff are changing their model so you don't get unlimited internet unless you go for the £20 bundle.

Kinda defeats the whole selling point of them if you ask me

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Upcoming-goodybag-changes/td-p/14395647

Sound more expensive than contract if no phone supplied.

I have only had a contract for coming up 2 years but 3G is getting to be a bigger disappointment and getting far more reliant on roaming wifi access, as wifi becomes more widely available the need for a "mobile" phoen may disappear completely - why not a mobile internet phone, IP calls whenever wifi is available or a dual phone - wifi for the data/IP calls and then backup use payg sim for calls.

MT hits the nail here for me.I've a smartphone that I've had for years and I just can't see the point of replacing it as the technological improvements haven't created a need that I can perceive.

I think you're right Ash,a good round of i6 sales and they'll breathe for another year but these bricks and mortar businesses will be deleveraging if they've any sense-or more likely banging out the divi's before the bump.

Well the Dixons Carphone shares jumped (edit- fallen back) but analysts question whether the mobile companies are taking control of the distribution. The chair of that Dixons Carphone seems sharp so guess they are ok but the merged business means they are more than phones. Interesting though not long after merger the mobile companies pull the plug on phones4u. Edited by Ash4781

Only network / provider to stay off this forum is Tesco Mobile? Dont they piggy back off the other main networks? My son has a brand new Nokia Lumia on Windows phone for £13 pcm payg - Me and Mrs Pentu will move off our vodafone 24 month contracts in the new year and move to Tesco Mobile. That'll save us about £55 pcm - We're quite happy with our Galaxy S3s :).

Communications deflation anyone?

Only network / provider to stay off this forum is Tesco Mobile? Dont they piggy back off the other main networks? My son has a brand new Nokia Lumia on Windows phone for £13 pcm payg - Me and Mrs Pentu will move off our vodafone 24 month contracts in the new year and move to Tesco Mobile. That'll save us about £55 pcm - We're quite happy with our Galaxy S3s :).

Communications deflation anyone?

Seems that way, many phones' capabilities far exceed their owner's requirements.

Wife and I cut out combined monyjly phone bills to about £7/month from over £20 recently, albeit this does not incude handset costs.

I would pay more for unlimited mobile data tethering in order to attack the landline/broadband bill, but I don't know if it would be quick enough for even light browsing/streaming/youtube vids. I suspect not so perhaps will leave it for now. It's no longer a significant outlay so no big deal but it wrankles to hand cash over to companies with such woeful service reputations regardless.

If only it was as easy to cut gas/eleccy/water bills. I guess phone companies are bearing some of the fallout from rising utilities precisely because it is easier to cut expenditure on coms.

Seems that way, many phones' capabilities far exceed their owner's requirements.

Wife and I cut out combined monyjly phone bills to about £7/month from over £20 recently, albeit this does not incude handset costs.

I would pay more for unlimited mobile data tethering in order to attack the landline/broadband bill, but I don't know if it would be quick enough for even light browsing/streaming/youtube vids. I suspect not so perhaps will leave it for now. It's no longer a significant outlay so no big deal but it wrankles to hand cash over to companies with such woeful service reputations regardless.

If only it was as easy to cut gas/eleccy/water bills. I guess phone companies are bearing some of the fallout from rising utilities precisely because it is easier to cut expenditure on coms.

Aren't phones now caught in the same performance trap as computers in that they're perfectly ok running the software of the time but when you start installing the latest apps they struggle?

Aren't phones now caught in the same performance trap as computers in that they're perfectly ok running the software of the time but when you start installing the latest apps they struggle?

Of course. You can tweak smartphones if you know what you are doing. My 14 year old got his Nexus 4 running minecraft and a browser at the same time - but only to kid his friends as the phone got too hot to hold running the dual core processor flat out. Fanboys assuming their current phone is obsolete and wanting the latest model drove sales for several years. Apple products only have tiny incremental improvements and sometimes not even that. Recently most of the iPhone 5s at work just stopped working. I reckon the non-replaceable battery reached its predetermined expiry just a little early and the i6 didn't quite make it to market in time to distract them from this built in obsolescence.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time for high street sales. Remember when there were video hire shops on every estate? Peterborough has masses of phone shops, betting shops and loan shark shops. At least 3 'pound' shops. Even Tesco Express seems to be trying to rebrand itself with "Hello" emblazoned across the entrance. I wonder how long it will be before some wag pulls the 'o' off!

So that's the end of the high street then. Deutsche Bank analysts recently said a bank could survive with 500 branches as opposed to the c. 2k each has atm. No more banks, phone shops, no more video shops, betting shops, pawnbrokers, pound shops. Only one left; estate agents. Everything will be OK with property, wont it?

So that's the end of the high street then. Deutsche Bank analysts recently said a bank could survive with 500 branches as opposed to the c. 2k each has atm. No more banks, phone shops, no more video shops, betting shops, pawnbrokers, pound shops. Only one left; estate agents. Everything will be OK with property, wont it?

I think reality TV studios will be a growth industry. A Big Brother set on every high street. 'Grimsby Shore', 'There's Only One Nuneaton', 'St Austell Borstal', 'Henley Hen Nights'...