House Price Crash Forum
Lifes a game

Report 'endies' Struggling In London - Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/13/endies-employed-no-disposable-income-struggling-in-london

Employed with No Disposable Income are struggling in London, anyone surprised?

".....They feel they are overlooked and betrayed. There is an underbelly of quiet resentment building up."

My fear, given human nature, is that it will not stay quiet for much longer. The only people who cannot grasp this are the intellectually and economically challenged MPs who collectively allowed this state of affairs to arise.

I'm not a gambling man but I'd be very tempted to wager that, aside from a relative few new affordable homes here and there and the few lone political voices of wisdom, these muppets will not do anything really major and significant until they are absolutely panicked into doing it. Only then will you see a level of national urgency and commitment and sense of purpose akin to that of Churchill fighting the Nazis or the Attlee government building homes, an NHS, etc. Until such time that these 'quiet' endies cease being quiet there will be no change. History teaches us that much.

Edited by anonguest

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/13/endies-employed-no-disposable-income-struggling-in-london

Employed with No Disposable Income are struggling in London, anyone surprised?

...no...but always thought it was like that ...decades ago ..everyone lived for the next pay day not long after the last one....it's a constant grind living in such a place....unless you are well off... :rolleyes:

Solution: get out of London.

Worked for me. Well, sort-of. Eventually.

"Get out of London" isn't a plan. "Go to place X and do job Y" is a plan. Not easy to figure out what X and Y are now that the UK's economic activity is so skewed towards London/SE.

It is just crazy now - as well all know even if you are offered a 6 figure salary, and how many people are, London is still too expensive.

Even on a 100K a year then, after tax, a huge part of your salary will be going on either rent or mortgage. Can you imagine having a London house price mortgage around your neck worrying about rising IRs and/or falling HPs?

It is just crazy now - as well all know even if you are offered a 6 figure salary, and how many people are, London is still too expensive.

Even on a 100K a year then, after tax, a huge part of your salary will be going on either rent or mortgage. Can you imagine having a London house price mortgage around your neck worrying about rising IRs and/or falling HPs?

Yep, I never go back if I could help it. £100K salary certainly wouldn't tempt me. Quality of life is absolutely awful for the average person. Long expensive commutes to expensive, small and often shabby accommodation in crime infested areas. Recently stayed with a friend at their new (to them) flat they'd bought in zone 3. Overlooked a car park and a railway line. I doubt there was any change from 250K. For London, that would be regarded as cheap.

Unemployment outside of London might actually offer a better life for many.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

This is, of course, unless you bought the house in the mid-90s or before. Then you're minted, especially so if you bought pre-1990 as, more than likely, you've paid off the mortgage.

This is, of course, unless you bought the house in the mid-90s or before. Then you're minted, especially so if you bought pre-1990 as, more than likely, you've paid off the mortgage.

I think the future for London is that those who bought prior to the boom will eventually sell up and move out to the regions - or they will keep the property for their kids or as some investment.

However, I think that new UK talent will simply stop going to London - apart from the most arrogant or those who get accomodation paid for them - and that more and more jobs in London will go to immigrants who are paid some kind of accomodation benefit.

I think that - and some might argue that we are already halfway there - that we will end up with many posts in public sector central government departments - i.e. the Home Office, Education, Immigration, etc - staffed by immigrants and we will have immigrants deciding policy within those departments. Crazy.

".....They feel they are overlooked and betrayed. There is an underbelly of quiet resentment building up."

My fear, given human nature, is that it will not stay quiet for much longer. The only people who cannot grasp this are the intellectually and economically challenged MPs who collectively allowed this state of affairs to arise.

I'm not a gambling man but I'd be very tempted to wager that, aside from a relative few new affordable homes here and there and the few lone political voices of wisdom, these muppets will not do anything really major and significant until they are absolutely panicked into doing it. Only then will you see a level of national urgency and commitment and sense of purpose akin to that of Churchill fighting the Nazis or the Attlee government building homes, an NHS, etc. Until such time that these 'quiet' endies cease being quiet there will be no change. History teaches us that much.

well I've got some really bad news for you.

these policies are actually deliberately designed to cause tension and unrest.

don't bother waiting for the external enemy, there is already one burrowing within.

I think the future for London is that those who bought prior to the boom will eventually sell up and move out to the regions - or they will keep the property for their kids or as some investment.

Not just the future.

Friend of my family (no longer with us) retired from London to Northumberland in the 1980s. Sold an ugly suburban hole, bought a big detached Victorian villa.

We have plenty of similar stories here in Devon and Cornwall: people - largely pensioners - who sold in London making enough to buy up great swathes of our nicest property.

don't bother waiting for the external enemy, there is already one burrowing within.

That's conspiracy theory nonsense I can't bring myself to believe (just yet!).

How does that supposed Napoleon quote go? "Never ascribe to conspiracy that which can more easily be explained by incompetence". That, as far as I can see, is all that has happened over the last 20+ years. We have had a political class who, combined with the always present sprinkling of vested interests by some, have been exceptionally myopic and of limited intellectual abilities.

We are at the stage where they can see that all is not well but, unable to think creatively plus with limited knowledge of history, the are struggling to (i) accept their policies are to blame, (ii) unable to tell the public the truth, and (iii) unable to think of sensible solutions. So all we get is policy equivalents of sweeping the dirt under the carpet (e.g Help to Buy, etc) and not actually getting rid of the dirt at all.

Edited by anonguest

However, I think that new UK talent will simply stop going to London - apart from the most arrogant or those who get accomodation paid for them - and that more and more jobs in London will go to immigrants who are paid some kind of accomodation benefit.

I think that - and some might argue that we are already halfway there - that we will end up with many posts in public sector central government departments - i.e. the Home Office, Education, Immigration, etc - staffed by immigrants and we will have immigrants deciding policy within those departments. Crazy.

I guess you haven't flown through Heathrow or Gatwick lately. It does seem mildly odd when 75% of the UKBA staff are clearly not local.

burrowing or borrowing?

I guess you haven't flown through Heathrow or Gatwick lately. It does seem mildly odd when 75% of the UKBA staff are clearly not local.

I have not been there for years but, yes, I have heard this about London and about Heathrow. Personally I find it quite disturbing.

How does that supposed Napoleon quote go? "Never ascribe to conspiracy that which can more easily be explained by incompetence". That, as far as I can see, is all that has happened over the last 20+ years. We have had a political class who, combined with the always present sprinkling of vested interests by some, have been exceptionally myopic and of limited intellectual abilities.

We are at the stage where they can see that all is not well but, unable to think creatively plus with limited knowledge of history, the are struggling to (i) accept their policies are to blame, (ii) unable to tell the public the truth, and (iii) unable to think of sensible solutions. So all we get is policy equivalents of sweeping the dirt under the carpet (e.g Help to Buy, etc) and not actually getting rid of the dirt at all.

Great quote! :lol:

..I know he said "not tonight Josephine".....but could you give me the link to his quote re incompetence ..on the issue of politicians ..within a democracy the level of intellectual ability is not measured before becoming an elected politician ...that's democracy ...not sure what it is elsewhere but can't see them sitting IQ tests anywhere..... :rolleyes:

I just can't read the Guardian's comments. Its blinkered readers are nearly as bad as some of the "Scotland Free" fundamentalists.

Everything must be blamed on the Tories. ******ing hell.

Isnt it something like 1 in 3 Londoners get housing benefit, that benefit is paid by taxpayers so companies can make more profit.

..I know he said "not tonight Josephine".....but could you give me the link to his quote re incompetence ..on the issue of politicians ..within a democracy the level of intellectual ability is not measured before becoming an elected politician ...that's democracy ...not sure what it is elsewhere but can't see them sitting IQ tests anywhere..... :rolleyes:

Maybe he originated it or he didn't? It's possibly one of those quotes that ends up being ascribed to other famous historical figures who, at some time, perhaps said something similar......

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Hanlon_s_razor.html

As for intellectual ability....what I was trying to allude to, based on my own personal observations of both MPs and party activists, was that in spite of often having Oxbridge educations (though often in useless subjects) they have a stunning lack of knowledge of the things that matter in running 'UK Plc' and a profound inability to mentally and independently work things out for themselves, unable to independently questions and critically analyse things they are told. Despite us being told that there are no more truly idealogical politicians remaining (like Thatcher or Tony Benn, etc), and that they are all just 'managers' now, this is anything but true if effect. It may not be strictly idealogically driven but they often display a mindset that I have seen described elsewhere as being one of "my mind is made up please don't confuse me with facts".

Solution: get out of London.

Worked for me. Well, sort-of. Eventually.

I can understand that view point. However isn't there something wrong with people who work being forced to live London whilst pro single parents have quite a decent life doing nothing and enjoying all that London has to offer?

(I know people like that).

Of course if the pro single parents were forced to leave then there would be cheaper housing for the rest of us.