House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver2

Help. Running A Cable From The Garage To Log Cabin.

I had a log cabin put in the garden this summer to be used as an office and wish to relocate a twin socket from the garage into there.

I've spent all morning digging a trench to a depth of 40cm can I just run some 3mm armoured core cabling through a hose pipe and bury it at this depth or do I dig a little deeper?

The run is 15 metres long.

Great Tom! You are doing the right thing using armoured cable! The wiring to my garage does not comply to any IET regulations at all!

Great Tom! You are doing the right thing using armoured cable! The wiring to my garage does not comply to any IET regulations at all!

Thanks MrPin. It needs to be watertight to allow for the jacuzzi which is on *order.

*when hell freezes over

SWA can go direct in the ground. Don't put bloody hosepipe over it. Why make a perfectly good job amateur?

Also there is no such size as 3mm :D 2.5mm or 4mm

20A breaker for 2.5, 32 for 4mm will be fine

Thanks MrPin. It needs to be watertight to allow for the jacuzzi which is on *order.

*when hell freezes over

What "filth" are you up to? :blink:

I'd suggest that at the log-cabin end you set up a TT system with RCD, rather than extend a TN-C-S.

SWA can go straight into the ground. 40 cm is tolerable, but 60 cm would be preferable. If you are worried about damage, then put 2 inches of soil over the cable, then cover some paving slabs, and fill in the trench.

If you are planning for your jacuzzi, then you need to do volt drop calculations on your cable run. In practice, if the run is only 15 m, then a 2.5 mm2 cable should be adequate for a 20A load. By 3 mm2 do you mean you have 1.5 mm2 4 core cable, and are doubling up the cores? That's a reasonable solution, and should give enough future proofing for a jacuzzi.

I'd suggest that at the log-cabin end you set up a TT system with RCD, rather than extend a TN-C-S.

For one double socket in a wooden framed (I assume) building? Bit OTT!! If it was metal framed I'd install a sub board though yes.

For one double socket in a wooden framed (I assume) building? Bit OTT!! If it was metal framed I'd install a sub board though yes.

I was kind of hoping that there would be something a bit more exciting than just a double socket.

SWA can go direct in the ground. Don't put bloody hosepipe over it. Why make a perfectly good job amateur?

Also there is no such size as 3mm :D 2.5mm or 4mm

20A breaker for 2.5, 32 for 4mm will be fine

Perhaps because I am an amateur and first sort advice from a mate (he's not an electrician but a jobbing DJ) :D

The cable is rated 27 amps.

I was kind of hoping that there would be something a bit more exciting than just a double socket.

It's the latter (a double socket) so I'm letting the side down here. Thanks for the detailed reply, I've done as you said and broken the soil down a further 15cm+ and managed to shake the cable underneath without adding it to my spoil.

There's a TT system with an RCD in the garage so happy that this is an extension of this. Will be wired in tomorrow just need some conduit/clips. I tried c&q today but it was prohibitively expensive.

I'm a bit out of touch with regs these days but the trench needs to be 60cm. Bed the cable in soft (building) and cover over with the same. The regs then call for warning tape to be put over the sand. While you have the trench I'd think about a seperate 1.5mm cable for lighting.

SWA needs to be terninated properly - do you know how to do this?

Perhaps because I am an amateur and first sort advice from a mate (he's not an electrician but a jobbing DJ) :D

I once knew a jobbing DJ who built his own console. He fitted a 13A socket to the side of it and connected it to the mains using a lightweight mains cable with a 13A mains plug on each end :wacko:.

I'm a bit out of touch with regs these days but the trench needs to be 60cm. Bed the cable in soft (building) and cover over with the same. The regs then call for warning tape to be put over the sand. While you have the trench I'd think about a seperate 1.5mm cable for lighting.

SWA needs to be terninated properly - do you know how to do this?

I didn't but I do now (Google is my friend) off to get the bits now (including the glands). To be honest all I was intending to do was cut back the armour and wrap it in tape. I may as well do it properly and satisfactory.

I didn't but I do now (Google is my friend) off to get the bits now (including the glands). To be honest all I was intending to do was cut back the armour and wrap it in tape. I may as well do it properly and satisfactory.

Yep, terminate each end in an ip65 box and then run conventional cable to your consumer unit and circuit at either end.

I once knew a jobbing DJ who built his own console. He fitted a 13A socket to the side of it and connected it to the mains using a lightweight mains cable with a 13A mains plug on each end :wacko:.

That's a nice piece of electrical idiocy Bruce! :blink:

That's a nice piece of electrical idiocy Bruce! :blink:

You can see the thinking - didn't want a permnanently attached cable which could get damaged, that part is sensible, unsheathed plug terminals that could become live not so much so. :o

Neutrik make some very good mains plugs and sockets for such instances.

You can see the thinking - didn't want a permnanently attached cable which could get damaged, that part is sensible, unsheathed plug terminals that could become live not so much so. :o

Neutrik make some very good mains plugs and sockets for such instances.

I think the end of the cable where the power comes out should be a socket, not a plug! It sort of makes sense. Well it does to me, and I don't need an IEE wiring certificate, to spot that was wrong!