House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Investors Pull £17Bn From Uk As Banks Ratchet Up Scottish Independence Pressure

Net flows out of Britain hit $27.3bn (£16.8bn) in August, the highest seen since the financial crisis

Well that's b0llocks. There wasn't any threat of a 'yes' vote win in August.

Poor Torygraph attempt to blame Salmond for Osborne's failure and the looming London housing correction.

Poor Torygraph attempt to blame Salmond for Osborne's failure and the looming London housing correction.

The outflows began to take off in June according to the article when the Scottish referendum barely rated a mention in the UK or international press.

One wonders how much Russian money is in that total and how much of the outflow is due to Cameron's posturing over the Ukraine.

BTW I love the bit about the £127 billion outflow this year reducing the amount for 'financial investment'. One assumes this is a euphemism for the City of London's gambling pot.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

“We know that running a separate pricing system in Scotland will mean taking the difficult decision as to whether or not to pass on the increased costs through higher prices to Scottish consumers.”

So they're not even going to consider passing on the reduction in costs through 10% lower wages that Credit Suisse were quoted as predicting for Scotland earlier on when giving it's own doom forecast.

Edited by billybong

Don't be so sure, where I work we have been taking the risk of a Yes vote seriously for over a year and have already amended investment decisions on the basis that we could not guarantee a No vote.

The outflows began to take off in June according to the article when the Scottish referendum barely rated a mention in the UK or international press.

One wonders how much Russian money is in that total and how much of the outflow is due to Cameron's posturing over the Ukraine.

BTW I love the bit about the £127 billion outflow this year reducing the amount for 'financial investment'. One assumes this is a euphemism for the City of London's gambling pot.

I didn't bother reading the article 'cause it's obviously made up.

It's the failed rebalancing, trade deficits and cooling London housing market that's the culprit and possibly as you say Russian/Asian money fleeing the Cty crime syndicate due to Russia sanctions. Once bitten over Cyprus and all that.

With the exception of AEP the telegraph's cover to cover garbage.

Funnily enough just this morning I bought 3 x 2.5 bars from Baird and Co.

£218.25

One has to start somewhere I guess... :lol:

I didn't bother reading the article 'cause it's obviously made up.

It's the failed rebalancing, trade deficits and cooling London housing market that's the culprit and possibly as you say Russian/Asian money fleeing the Cty crime syndicate due to Russia sanctions. Once bitten over Cyprus and all that.

With the exception of AEP the telegraph's cover to cover garbage.

The amount of money sunk in through QE and other measures made this country a honey pot for a while (oh and the lympics), the rest of the world has partially driven out the debt bubble or never participated in it to the same extent, which makes pretty much everywhere else look like a better invement bet. Short term hot money like RK says now leaving for stated reason with very much better prospects now the tories have shot the bolt a second time.

They are going all out - On Radio 4 they had people saying that Scotland will go the way of Weimar Germany, Argentina and Greece!

I do wonder whether the BOE will use the vote as an excuse to raise rates. Then the US Fed has an excuse to raise rates and, before we know it, they both are back to, albeit small, rises in their base rates.

The cycle would then have been turned and it allows them to blame the vote as why they started raising rates.

Outflows?

Do they mean investors SOLD their investments, or simply that funds were sold out to cash.

The first means there were BUYERS who did really well, the second means bank liabilities were lower and the one man office brigade in Offices in Threadneedle Street are also going to be short of a bob or two, of course these funds bought something and that means a buyer has been found.

Deflation and price drops mean outflows too..to nowhere.

Outflows?

Do they mean investors SOLD their investments, or simply that funds were sold out to cash.

None of the above really.

I can't put a figure to it, but hasn't August actually been significantly better than an average August? With the exception of London house prices coming off the boil, perhaps.