House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
giesahoose

Aberdeen Teachers Asked To House Probationary Teachers Due To Cost Of Housing

Hmm.

There are stupid bosses everywhere. My (private-sector) then-boss tried to save expenses by telling me to use a colleague's spare room, when working several hundred miles from home. The colleague in question and I had never even met at the time, and when we later did meet, he denied having a spare room (well, there was a room, but he was using it).

That was a little over 20 years ago. You'll always find idiots somewhere.

Mind you, I did once stay in a colleague's spare room: again, someone I'd never met. But that was in academia, and was just while I looked for somewhere.

Bit slow to catch on.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2005/oct/18/schools.communities

An apple for the teacher has never been so big or so polished. The Apple building in inner-city Manchester is almost certainly the only residential block of its kind in the UK. Its brand new apartments - complete with fitted kitchen, laminated floors, panoramic views, broadband access and a communal gym - are let exclusively to teachers at "affordable" rents.

Those who live here are for the most part newly qualified teachers (NQTs) on salaries of just over £19,000. So a one-bedroom flat here for £375 a month, plus a £50 service charge, is not to be sniffed at. For two bedrooms and a study, the rent is £475 and the service charge £75

From 2005.

As usual the article doesn't give any numbers and it only talks in generalities so as usual there's little or no useful information. Likely that's intentional.

Even so in the absence of information it's reasonable to assume it's just a small amount of teachers for each school. Most schools have a bit of spare land/space so they could put some mobile homes on that and even double/triple decker them if necessary to save space. Mobile homes without land costs don't cost much. Some people would prefer that to lodging.

As it seems to be the oil industry causing most of the problem then they could provide some funds towards that. In the oil industry etc it's not unusual for workers of different levels to live in that sort of accommodation provided by the company when working overseas - usually if mixing with local communities is difficult - so they would be familiar with it.

That is until the Garden Cities are being built.

It costs only about £30k to build a 2 bedroom flat. What would be about £200 pm. Everything else is just the price of land and speculation.

Edited by Damik

After spending 5-6 years doing A Levels and a degree and borrowing £50K for an education, you to could get the dream of a room in someone house.

You may even use the kitchen when they go away on holidays.

Hitler had a good solution to the kind of idiot who thinks this is a decent proposal.