House Price Crash Forum

This Will Make You Laugh.

HOLA441

You could legitimise taking out the biggest loan you could get and buying a house with that line of argument.

FAIL.

no, the implication is that by not booking up the best tutor, I. E. Most expensive 4 years in advance and not hot housing your child for an educational outcome you don't even know is right yet, you are a bad parent.

You're missing my point.

Taking out the biggest loan they can get and buying a house is exactly what most people do. You can rail all you like about the stupidity of paying such prices, but until human beings stop being competitive, they'll keep on paying them. And because they're paying them, you have to pay them if you want to buy a house. Blame the system that encourages this behaviour, not the people.

In practical terms, not coaching your child for exams when everyone is doing so means that your child is likely to end up being taught alongside children who are less academically able than she is. Similarly, those who overdo the tutoring are likely to see their kids getting used to being at the bottom of the class, outshone by their more able peers.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

One thing about the 11 plus - a poor girl at my school turned over 2 pages of the exam booklet by mistake and didn't realise until it was too late. She ended up at the school nobody wanted to go to, though IIRC it became 'famous' for having schooled Mandy Rice-Krispies of Profumo fame.

Tell any of your kids with exams coming up not to make that mistake!

HOLA443

Egg-******ing-xactly.

I'll give it some thought at the time but waiting lists for tutors 4 years out? They can ****** off.

And the whiny, ******ing harridan pushy mothers can ****** off again.

And thrice.

Regardless of 11 plus or any other exams, best prep IMO for any child is to get them reading and enjoying it - anything they find interesting - animals, space, dinosaurs, The Worst Witch or Horrid Henry stories, anything. Join the library if you still have one and let them take out stacks for free.

And if they can't read yet, read to them. Lots.

My younger was a very reluctant reader at first - bit of a shock after the elder - mind you she had a stroppy streak and the school reading books were utterly boring. I started reading her the My Naughty Little Sister stories, which I would have thought too hard for her to tackle at all then, but after a couple she began racing through them on her own. It was finding that impetus - something she enjoyed enough - that was a bit of a slog.

I think it can be harder with boys, but anything like the Horrid Histories - lots of pictures and not too much print - often go down well with reluctant boys.

HOLA444

Regardless of 11 plus or any other exams, best prep IMO for any child is to get them reading and enjoying it - anything they find interesting - animals, space, dinosaurs, The Worst Witch or Horrid Henry stories, anything. Join the library if you still have one and let them take out stacks for free.

And if they can't read yet, read to them. Lots.

My younger was a very reluctant reader at first - bit of a shock after the elder - mind you she had a stroppy streak and the school reading books were utterly boring. I started reading her the My Naughty Little Sister stories, which I would have thought too hard for her to tackle at all then, but after a couple she began racing through them on her own. It was finding that impetus - something she enjoyed enough - that was a bit of a slog.

I think it can be harder with boys, but anything like the Horrid Histories - lots of pictures and not too much print - often go down well with reluctant boys.

Very nice Mrs Bear! One of the best things my dad did, was to get me a library ticket, when I was 7! I used to get 3 books ago and read them all in a week! And then got 3 more! I read the whole library! You probably think bloke's heads are full of football and tits!

HOLA445

Very nice Mrs Bear! One of the best things my dad did, was to get me a library ticket, when I was 7! I used to get 3 books ago and read them all in a week! And then got 3 more! I read the whole library! You probably think bloke's heads are full of football and tits!

No I don't! Mr B gives not a stuff about football. He likes that game with the oval ball, you know, where one of them runs like mad and the others try to trip him up before he chucks himself over the line.

All I can say about the other is that he was always rather keen on watching Sarah Beeny...

HOLA446

No I don't! Mr B gives not a stuff about football. He likes that game with the oval ball, you know, where one of them runs like mad and the others try to trip him up before he chucks himself over the line.

All I can say about the other is that he was always rather keen on watching Sarah Beeny...

Then, you seem to have chosen a gentleman! :P:)

HOLA447

Archived