House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Do You Think A "yes" Vote For Scotland Would Be Good Or Bad For Hpi In England?

I suspect it might be bad for Hpi in England as TPTB will consider it very damaging to the population/economy ponzi and try to do more to "stimulate" the economy.

So bad for Hpi - in that they'll try to boost house prices even higher than the current crazy levels. However ultimately it might speed up reaching the peak so ultimately good.

Hpi UP = Bad.

Hpi DOWN = Good.

Edited by billybong

It's a good question.

If Scotland says yes then the Tory party in the rest of the UK will see UKIP as its main challenger, in that case I'd guess that part of their response would be to appeal to the "angry men in blazers" who constitute the backbone of UKIP support with more anti-building regulations under the guise of protecting this green and pleasant land. So, in the long term it's bad news.

In the short term it would all be about interest rates but here the answer is cloudier. On the one hand rates could be kept lower for longer than otherwise would be the case in order to not to threaten the fragile recovery. On the other hand sterling has slipped by over 10% since the polls started showing the yes vote in the ascendency, so there may be a tiny, tiny bump in rates to strengthen the currency.

Edited by silver surfer

One other thing, a yes vote might act as a small stimulus for the new "border" region in the north, a swathe from Carlisle to Newcastle, so there might be a bit of extra HPI (or less decline) in those towns and cities.

The world is going through a profound change. People are realising that a hierarchy exists and the elites have not provided people with enough of the spoils from the last 25 years.

Scotland leaving would be bad for England as it would provide a neighbour who could compete for tax revenue. Imagine a state not locked to the EU or UK that could set its own tax rate or decide what its immigration policy would be. Luxembourg, Ireland and Switzerland have already shown that you can manipulate tax and laws to create industry. Which bank wouldn't want to be in scotland if they lowered tax rates by 5% but mirrored other UK laws? Competition for taxes and ultimately power is what politicians fear the most. That's why they've all suddenly got on their bikes up North. They thought they could scare the people into a No vote but its become too close for comfort.

One things for sure it will cause financial chaos. I just cant see the scots econemy support all left wing benefit thats alex salmon wants. I think the free percriptions , free uni education will end. I cant see it being good for uk either as last think we want is the chaos

Economic turmoil is never good for house prices. English prices down on Yes period........UK pound similarly hammered...so UK balance sheets depressed on international comparisons, Scottish balance sheets in meltdown.....excellent opportunity for young Scots who have no skin in the game.

They will be thanking the boomer turkeys that are voting for Christmas.

Edited by crashmonitor

Depending on how it plays out, there's a good chance it brings the market right down.

There could be a drop in sterling, queries over the UK's debts and bond prices, and general uncertainty. All will all encourage foreign investors to cash in their property savings, to invest in something safer. More supply means prices down, premiums down etc etc.

It all started in....Scotland.

If they vote yes can they please raise an army and march south to free the rest of us ?

#FreeUsToo

Looks like we are all cheering on the Yes vote then and hoping for complete carnage north of the border spreading south to UK property.

Guess we always want a destroy and reset scenario when it came to inflated asset prices.

Edited by crashmonitor

Looks like we are all cheering on the Yes vote then and hoping for complete carnage north of the border spreading south to UK property.

Guess we always want a destroy and reset scenario when it came to inflated asset prices.

A yes vote would be a great excuse for the tories ( who will then romp the next election ) to collapse the market.

#BlameTheScottish

A Yes vote could be the black swan in my view. There will be a lot of uncertainty, and no-one will be worrying about the price of their house.

If I didn't have a place in Wales, I'd be hotfooting it up there asap. Others, who are younger, with less skin in the UK game might well consider doing the same. There will be a load of opportunities in Scotland I reckon, less so in England and Wales. I wouldn't count on accessing any political ones if you aren't Scottish, but there could be plenty of indirect ones to access. Equally investing in housing/business/stocks when things crash could well pay off in the longer term.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

A Yes vote could be the black swan in my view. There will be a lot of uncertainty, and no-one will be worrying about the price of their house.

Just 2 weeks ago some bulls were on here saying that foreign investprs will buy in London due to the political and economic stability.

That is now being shown to be a nonsense, the UK is as open to the proles rebelling as any nation.

I am hearing rumours abound in Scotland that they are going to try some new pretty radical stuff and it is being kept hush as to not frighten the masses. Default on debt, arresting bankers, bitcoin style currency, business incentives etc all keep coming up. A small dynamic country full of new ideas could really put one over on England with its old guard of lords and bankers all trying to protect there angles and assets.

There is a real hunger in Scotland to face the hardships and do something new, a sense of community looking to do something entrepreneurial away from the tumour that is the city of London. If any country has a historical and intellectual precedent to achieve this it is the Scots. This concept of them as a bunch of useless dole sponging drunks is utterly ignorant of history, this is country that has consistently created some of the finest minds in the human race. There is much talk of successful Scots overseas returning and making a go of it too, lots of fire for new things and this has the old elites terrified.

It is better to leave the old job that is crushing you, the company is going bankrupt anyway, start your own business, You know the work will be hard and you will be poor for a bit but its worth the chance because your facing the dole in a couple of years anyway.

I am hearing rumours abound in Scotland that they are going to try some new pretty radical stuff and it is being kept hush as to not frighten the masses. Default on debt, arresting bankers, bitcoin style currency, business incentives etc all keep coming up. A small dynamic country full of new ideas could really put one over on England with its old guard of lords and bankers all trying to protect there angles and assets.

There is a real hunger in Scotland to face the hardships and do something new, a sense of community looking to do something entrepreneurial away from the tumour that is the city of London. If any country has a historical and intellectual precedent to achieve this it is the Scots. This concept of them as a bunch of useless dole sponging drunks is utterly ignorant of history, this is country that has consistently created some of the finest minds in the human race. There is much talk of successful Scots overseas returning and making a go of it too, lots of fire for new things and this has the old elites terrified.

It is better to leave the old job that is crushing you, the company is going bankrupt anyway, start your own business, You know the work will be hard and you will be poor for a bit but its worth the chance because your facing the dole in a couple of years anyway.

No idea about the rumours, but totally agree with the idea. My impression with Scotland's population is that they are up for a bit of a change, and there's a strong sense of community. Wales also has a strong sense of community (at least in patches), but the national psyche is more depressive.

Landwise, Scotland is huge - but the population is tiny. And if you think the current status quo re: a small number of families owning the vast amounts of land is going stand, I suggest that's highly unlikely. Agreed on the finest minds stuff; an astonishing number of thinkers and inventors have had some kind of connection with Scotland. They still value education highly too. They could easily punch well above their weight on the global stage.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

No idea about the rumours, but totally agree with the idea. My impression with Scotland's population is that they are up for a bit of a change, and there's a strong sense of community. Wales also has a strong sense of community (at least in patches), but the national psyche is more depressive.

Landwise, Scotland is huge - but the population is tiny. And if you think the current status quo re: a small number of families owning the vast amounts of land is going stand, I suggest that's highly unlikely. Agreed on the finest minds stuff; an astonishing number of thinkers and inventors have had some kind of connection with Scotland. They still value education highly too. They could easily punch well above their weight on the global stage.

the major problem with this is scotland would not be able to borrow money from anyone. It really would be on pay as you go sort of econemy. In short term goverment would not be able to pay a single bill witha cheque and would have to result to suitcase of £5 under alex salmonds bed

the major problem with this is scotland would not be able to borrow money from anyone. It really would be on pay as you go sort of econemy. I

Since when was spending what you have a MAJOR PROBLEM.

The Major Problem is the UK is the fact that the British Government BORROW MONEY.

Ah transparency in politics... So people are voting on something they have no idea what YES really means. There is no plan and we'll make something up after the event.

Will successful Scots want to pay higher taxes?

Ah transparency in politics... So people are voting on something they have no idea what YES really means. There is no plan and we'll make something up after the event.

Will successful Scots want to pay higher taxes?

Will successful english people ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2692213/Stars-given-90-days-pay-tax-avoided-Clampdown-celebrity-backed-schemes.html

Depends on how many Scots decide on moving south to flee paradise doesn't it?

That's a good point, the Scottish financial market would decamp to London, depressing Edinburgh prices and boosting London prices. Plus to your later point, you have to be right, top rate taxes would almost certainly increase in Scotland so that would also push people south.