House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Cheap (But Not Nasty) Stuff

the bbc website ran an report last week of a survey suggesting that a large proportion of Britons would not stoop to pick up a pound coin "on the grounds that it no longer buys anything of value".

i know the UK is expensive, but I don't think that's true.

For instance, Iceland are selling 6x Cornetto-alike ice creams, indistinguishable to me from the Walls product, for £1 -- currently discounted to 89p!

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/6-pack-iceland-s-choc-nut-ice-cream-cones-for-89p-iceland-1948241

I bought a child's breakfast (for myself) in the Asda cafe on Monday consisting of 1 egg, 1 bacon rasher, beans, toast and butter for £1.85

RWqudccl.jpg

And yesterday acquired a stainless-steel 3/6-cup electric moka pot in as-new condition from a local charity shop for a fiver.

beat that, you cheapskates!

I never think it's a good idea to food shop anywhere the elite wouldn't as if I was a senior member of a real elite I would dope the food in places like Iceland with sedatives, or something, to keep the masses pacified.

Petrol. The fact we can get it out of the ground and into your car for less than £1 a litre is testament to human ingenuity. Even with the tax added it's good value considering all the things you can do with it.

Petrol. The fact we can get it out of the ground and into your car for less than £1 a litre is testament to human ingenuity. Even with the tax added it's good value considering all the things you can do with it.

I agree. It's incredible how much 'work' can be done with a litre of petrol... but just look at how rashly we're getting through it.

If the species doesn't come up with something of equivalent utility or better to replace it, future humans will look back with incomprehension at how we spent a few short decades squandering the bulk of it.

Let's hope we leave ourself enough to power the research into and generation of an alternative.

the bbc website ran an report last week of a survey suggesting that a large proportion of Britons would not stoop to pick up a pound coin "on the grounds that it no longer buys anything of value".

Well I picked up 21p from the pavement yesterday and put it towards a bag of chocolate covered peanuts, delicious they were.

Supermarket food and, with the advent of Wetherspoons and other pub chains playing catch up, a lot of pub food.

I've not been in an Asda cafe but have been in Morrisons and Sainsburys and they are both very good and amazingly cheap, Morrisons having the edge IMO.

Edit: who, seriously, would not pick up a pound coin? Massive pinch of salt required with these online surveys.

These pound coins are usually glued to the pavement. Believe me, it's not worth the embarrassment.

These pound coins are usually glued to the pavement. Believe me, it's not worth the embarrassment.

You nudge it with your toe first, ditto anything that you're not sure is an actual coin - 5ps are so small and shiny that they appear practically white and I think most people don't spot them.

Broadband and the internet generally.

As noted elsewhere I have given up my TV (and licence) and find that there is a universe of stuff out there to watch on the catch up channels and Youtube. Unless they get round to changing the rules I have zero intention of ever having a TV or licence again as this is just better.

So net the cost of the licence fee off what I'm paying for broadband (which is anyway mostly landline rental) and it's under £100 a year net. Result.

If the species doesn't come up with something of equivalent utility or better to replace it, future humans will look back with incomprehension at how we spent a few short decades squandering the bulk of it.

Unless human beings change massively in the future I very much doubt they will look back with incomprehension. Immediate short-term thinking seems like a fundamental part of human nature. You don't get very far suggesting a course of action which makes things harder for us now no matter what the future benefits will be (otherwise we wouldn't have the economic mess we've got). I really, really doubt that'll ever change.

Unless human beings change massively in the future I very much doubt they will look back with incomprehension. Immediate short-term thinking seems like a fundamental part of human nature. You don't get very far suggesting a course of action which makes things harder for us now no matter what the future benefits will be (otherwise we wouldn't have the economic mess we've got). I really, really doubt that'll ever change.

There was an excellent programme on R4 yesterday deconstructing the grand engineering schemes that the benevolent Victorians bestowed upon future generations.

Short-termism, monetary gain and get-rich-quick were the actual order of the day.

So the Channel Tunnel will be seen in a hundred years as an example of Elizabethan benevolence when it was really a failed investment.

One interesting thing on the canals was that for reasons of cheapness they were made narrow which meant they were limited in the freight that they could carry. When they became successful and could have done with being widened to avoid a lot of congestion they couldn't be as loads of factories had been built along their edges so these would have had to be purchased at enormous cost.

Guest eight

For instance, Iceland are selling 6x Cornetto-alike ice creams, indistinguishable to me from the Walls product, for £1 -- currently discounted to 89p!

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/6-pack-iceland-s-choc-nut-ice-cream-cones-for-89p-iceland-1948241

Yeah, everything in Iceland that was £1 has been reduced to 89p. Plus you can currently get £10 off £40 online. I know ready made pizzas etc. get some stick on here but we have them maybe once a fortnight and I don't find them particularly offensive.

Yeah, everything in Iceland that was £1 has been reduced to 89p. Plus you can currently get £10 off £40 online. I know ready made pizzas etc. get some stick on here but we have them maybe once a fortnight and I don't find them particularly offensive.

I buy cheap pizzas when on offer and they live in the freezer for ages until called into emergency service.

I buy cheap pizzas when on offer and they live in the freezer for ages until called into emergency service.

I know they're making cuts but using frozen pizza's to put fires out is just a step too far!

Apparently the best thing Maggie Thatcher ever did for the poor was to introduce the £1 coin, according to one homeless person in his autobiography (can't remember who it was) the coins are great because they are dense and therefore don't make a sound when dropped out of a pocket, they also glisten under street lights so are easy to find.

Although I'm sure at the time you could feed yourself for a week (as a homeless person at least) with £1, his top tip was a bag of oats, which before the recent fad for porridge was seriously cheap but packed plenty of nutrition in.

I know I'd certainly pick up a £1, possibly wouldn't go lower that a 20p though.

Guest eight

Apparently the best thing Maggie Thatcher ever did for the poor was to introduce the £1 coin, according to one homeless person in his autobiography

Really? I thought the opposite, that changing from a note to a coin somehow trivialised or tokenised it.

I like playing those seaside machines that shove coins backwards and forwards. I don't think twice about shoving 2p's in, I might do a 10p one if a tempting prize looks dropable. Would I ever put a £1 in one? - no way!

Apparently the best thing Maggie Thatcher ever did for the poor was to introduce the £1 coin, according to one homeless person in his autobiography (can't remember who it was) the coins are great because they are dense and therefore don't make a sound when dropped out of a pocket, they also glisten under street lights so are easy to find.

Although I'm sure at the time you could feed yourself for a week (as a homeless person at least) with £1, his top tip was a bag of oats, which before the recent fad for porridge was seriously cheap but packed plenty of nutrition in.

I know I'd certainly pick up a £1, possibly wouldn't go lower that a 20p though.

:o

I don't hesitate to pick up a penny and regularly do in crowded streets.

Although I was trumped by my girlfriend last month when she picked up a halfpenny in some woods.

It went out of circulation in 1984, I've just looked it up.

Guest eight

Pennies and £1 items aside... last night I had a look on the apple store and impulsively bought myself an iPhone 5cHeap as they have dropped the price to £319.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just spent £2.40 on a new trackball for my Blackberry.

Is the BBC trying to suggest that people don't pick up pound coins because they're not worth anything? I suspect it's more because most people are thriftless and think it's 'pikey' to pick up money. I read that the pavements around shops near schools are good places to find money because teenagers just throw small change away as a way of trying to look rich in front of their peers.

Anyone who's read Robert Philp's victorian classic 'How a Penny Became A Thousand Pounds' will have no shame in picking up a penny from the street.

I picked up 1p this morning...surprising how many times you have 68p in your pocket (in change) and the purchase is 69p...so not picking up that penny might mean I have even more crap in my wallet when I have bought something.

Of course a Victorian penny was worth rather more then than a modern one is now (despite the face value being less than half a modern penny).

The book shows how one old penny if properly invested can eventually yield a thousand pounds, so 240,000 times its value (there being 240 old pennies in a pound).

So one new penny multiplied by the same amount would actually yield £2400; still worth the effort in picking it up, I'd say.

However, I've only skimmed the book so I don't know how he did it. I suspect it was possible with the much higher interest rates that the Victorians had.