House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

2M In Magistrates Court Every Year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29114235

This article says 200,000 people are in magistrates for TV licence offences. And that makes 10% of their workload

"When over 10% of magistrates' court cases concern this one offence, you have to ask whether the current system is really working. So that's exactly what I'm going to do."

So if 90% of magistrates work is burglary/shoplifting/whatever then we could just tweak the law and then there'd be nothing for the magistrates to do.
Also crime rates would fall because you'd removed crimes.

It should be made a crime to assist in paying for the British State Broadcasting Corporation.

A man successfully argued this in one of Surrey's magistrates' courts last year - he said that since the Corporation knew in advance of the collapse of WTC-7 in New York, they were complicit in terrorism and therefore paying the licence was contrary to the Terrorism Act.

The BBC's director of strategy and digital James Purnell has suggested the time taken up by licence fee cases in court was actually much lower than often stated.

"The last fact we saw was that it took up 0.3% of time because most of these cases are processed pretty quickly, about three minutes on average," he told BBC Radio 4's PM programme in March.

That's alright then. The same Purnell that was a rising star in Blair's cabinet btw.

On one hand the current situation stinks, on the other the oft-proposed solution is to take the money out of general taxation or via an internet tax.

Subscriber model is best, methinks. I would happily pay for some of their output.

Edited by Joan of The Tower

All so they can charge you for cr.p like Tumble FFS.

For me, the license is not worth it. I watch more on CH5 than I do on the BBC channels.

I moving more to boxsets and netflix.

If I did not have kids, who do like CBBC, then the license would go.

It should be made a crime to assist in paying for the British State Broadcasting Corporation.

A man successfully argued this in one of Surrey's magistrates' courts last year - he said that since the Corporation knew in advance of the collapse of WTC-7 in New York, they were complicit in terrorism and therefore paying the licence was contrary to the Terrorism Act.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I imagine that this is an urban myth.

The magistrates are like rabbits caught in headlights (they are also clueless regarding case law and procedure) and just do the bidding of the clerk (who is to all intents and purposes, Mr. Establishment.).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29114235

This article says 200,000 people are in magistrates for TV licence offences. And that makes 10% of their workload

"When over 10% of magistrates' court cases concern this one offence, you have to ask whether the current system is really working. So that's exactly what I'm going to do."

So if 90% of magistrates work is burglary/shoplifting/whatever then we could just tweak the law and then there'd be nothing for the magistrates to do.

Also crime rates would fall because you'd removed crimes.

To be fair, although the BBC can f*** off, while it is 10% of the cases, they bulk process these cases so it's probably more like 2% of the workload.

Usually the TV license crime is put through as a batch, as most TV License criminals sign a disclaimer saying they are guilty - yes, a form they are hood winked into signing by the TV License salesman.

I personally think it should be decriminalised, and become a civil matter - just like those parking invoices!