House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Britain Rejoices At Prospect Of Further Weird Pregnancy And Subsequent Nurse Suicide

I was trapped on a cross-channel ferry with a load of boomers when the birth of the last one was announced. The fervour was incredible, you'd have thought commercially viable nuclear fusion had finally been cracked or something.

I was trapped on a cross-channel ferry with a load of boomers when the birth of the last one was announced. The fervour was incredible, you'd have thought commercially viable nuclear fusion had finally been cracked or something.

They are a special generation. I'll miss shaking my head at them when they eventually go.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tuc-leader-frances-ogrady-speech-on-class-system-cut-off-by-royal-baby-newsflash-9719503.html

Live television coverage of a speech by Frances O’Grady, General Secretary of the TUC, was cut off this morning minutes after she had warned of a return to a “Downton Abbey” society – for a newsflash announcing that the Duchess of Cambridge is expecting her second child.

The second royal pregnancy was deemed to be so important that nothing more was heard of Ms O’Grady’s speech, in which she expanded on her theme that the British class system is being reinvented, as the gap between rich and poor widens.

People watching the speech on the BBC’s news channel heard her say: "Are we going to settle for a nastier and poorer Britain - a Downton Abbey-style society, in which the living standards of the vast majority are sacrificed to protect the high living of the well-to-do?”

But they missed the bit where she went on to warn against returning to a class system like the one described in Evelyn Waugh’s postwar novel, Brideshead Revisited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29103503

Does anyone care about this sort of stuff any more?

The thread hasn't dropped off the first page yet so it must be something worth talking about ;)

The thread hasn't dropped off the first page yet so it must be something worth talking about ;)

That's different, though. Like the Kelly Brook thread, it's only on the front page because we're saying it's not worth talking about. We're kind of talking about it with a sense of ironic detachment, don't ya know. :)

That's different, though. Like the Kelly Brook thread, it's only on the front page because we're saying it's not worth talking about. We're kind of talking about it with a sense of ironic detachment, don't ya know. :)

:: Bump ::

Does anyone care about this sort of stuff any more?

It appears I wasn't the first to ask the question 'Do we get another bank holiday for this brat?' - I'm yet to find an answer!