House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

One For The Doom & Gloomers

Given all that's going on in the world at the moment (Ebola, ISIS, Ukraine-Russia spat, etc) I thought it appropriate to renew an age old question I suspect more than a fair few here have, at some time or another, pondered.....

IF the proverbial SHTF and/or things go all a bit Mad Max AND you had no choice but to remain in the UK (anywhere from Lands End to the Orkneys) but could choose where......where would be, relatively speaking, the safest place overall.

For example in a nuclear war one presumably would be best located as far away from any military/government infrastructure that would be a target? Is there actually anywhere sufficiently far away from any such places that the safety prospects rise significantly? or are such targets fairly uniformly spread across the British Isles, ensuring nowhere really being any safer (from blast, fallout, restrictions of movement, etc) than anywhere else.

in a pandemic situation, on the other hand, such a 'map' of desirable safe places could well look very different.

Anyone want to chip in?

Bushmills

Is that an actual place? or a joke I don't get?

The point I was trying to make, in a roundabout sort of way, but did not explictly say in my post is.......in the event of a SHTF situation would it, for most of us in the UK, actually make no real difference if we all chose to stay put? rather than, instinctively, get in the car and try and drive to someone/some place we assume will be safe?

In other words, just lock the front door and settle down in the armchair and sit it out and hope for the best?

Wherever your social capital lies.

Remote rural villages are wonderful - provided that your kin live around you.

In my case my family (a *lot* of 'em) live in deep-ish rurality yet all within 2 miles of each other. I'll go back there when TSHTF. I know the farmers and landowners. I know the business-people. I know the fishing and the woods.

I suspect it would never be as bad as feared. Very few things in reality ever seem to pan out actually worse than the worst case scenario.

Urban environments will be most prone to looting but beyond that I can't see one place being much better than any other.

London is obviously a total avoid but that's an equally valid statement outside a nuclear winter.

Given all that's going on in the world at the moment (Ebola, ISIS, Ukraine-Russia spat, etc) I thought it appropriate to renew an age old question I suspect more than a fair few here have, at some time or another, pondered.....

IF the proverbial SHTF and/or things go all a bit Mad Max AND you had no choice but to remain in the UK (anywhere from Lands End to the Orkneys) but could choose where......where would be, relatively speaking, the safest place overall.

For example in a nuclear war one presumably would be best located as far away from any military/government infrastructure that would be a target? Is there actually anywhere sufficiently far away from any such places that the safety prospects rise significantly? or are such targets fairly uniformly spread across the British Isles, ensuring nowhere really being any safer (from blast, fallout, restrictions of movement, etc) than anywhere else.

in a pandemic situation, on the other hand, such a 'map' of desirable safe places could well look very different.

Anyone want to chip in?

The old Blue streak rocket store in the cliff behind the Needles. Been my potential bolt hole for 30+ years.

Wherever your social capital lies.

Remote rural villages are wonderful - provided that your kin live around you.

In my case my family (a *lot* of 'em) live in deep-ish rurality yet all within 2 miles of each other. I'll go back there when TSHTF. I know the farmers and landowners. I know the business-people. I know the fishing and the woods.

yeah........except that, presumably, 5+ million other people will have similar ideas? and pretty quickly all those quiet/idyllic villages will be flooded with refugees seeking food/shelter/etc. No?

Is that an actual place? or a joke I don't get?

The point I was trying to make, in a roundabout sort of way, but did not explictly say in my post is.......in the event of a SHTF situation would it, for most of us in the UK, actually make no real difference if we all chose to stay put? rather than, instinctively, get in the car and try and drive to someone/some place we assume will be safe?

In other words, just lock the front door and settle down in the armchair and sit it out and hope for the best?

Whisky place in Ireland ?

The old Blue streak rocket store in the cliff behind the Needles. Been my potential bolt hole for 30+ years.

Now THAT is the sort of interesting and creative idea I suspect very few will think of. Except, alas, you have now publicised your little secret and so me and 10,000 other will be racing you to get there first! LOL

yeah........except that, presumably, 5+ million other people will have similar ideas? and pretty quickly all those quiet/idyllic villages will be flooded with refugees seeking food/shelter/etc. No?

Yes. That was the point I was trying (and failing to make). Rural isolation sounds great - but in reality you're best off wherever you family, friends and connections are.

Anyone want to chip in?

Given the country's current population density it'd be an exercise in futility. However, playing the game as an intellectual exercise I'd plump for the Western Isles. Decent fishing, reasonable scope for growing stuff and the Gulf Stream helps take the edge off their Northern location.

Unfortunately, that would involve abandoning several tons of my stash. So I'd probably pass on heading there.

Given the country's current population density it'd be an exercise in futility. However, playing the game as an intellectual exercise I'd plump for the Western Isles. Decent fishing, reasonable scope for growing stuff and the Gulf Stream helps take the edge off their Northern location.

Unfortunately, that would involve abandoning several tons of my stash. So I'd probably pass on heading there.

My goodness! Are you a drug baron, like me! :blink:

Ditto on the exercise in futility. Ditto on the islands.

north lake district..between helvellyn and blencathra or ullswater.

know the area well and still have some friends there.

times get tough and no transport/fuel I'll borrow one of the horses-I can still just about ride.

probably too close to sellafied which would be a target, but stunning scenery, so I'd be happy popping my clogs there if SHTF.

I'll just hunker down under the stairs with my stash of 1970's Vesta Ready Meals and hoard of 1977 Silver Jubilee Commemorative Crowns for barteriing.

Well I think they're silver. It does say 'Silver jubilee' on them.

I'll just hunker down under the stairs with my stash of 1970's Vesta Ready Meals and hoard of 1977 Silver Jubilee Commemorative Crowns for barteriing.

Well I think they're silver. It does say 'Silver jubilee' on them.

I'd set up a fiefdom in Croydon. Think of the governor in Walking Dead, but madder.

Probably stop where I am. Both of the neighbours are armed with guns. Access to mountains, sea and forests near by. Low population. Seriously, the missus asked about crime when we moved in. One neighbour who'd lived here for 30 years said they couldn't recall any.