House Price Crash Forum

Installing A Chimney Flue Liner - Anyone Done It?

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.woodburningstovesandflues.co.uk/chimney-installations-page-19

http://www.fluesupply.co.uk/en/content/7-installation-advice

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Flexible-Flue-Liners.html

It seems that I'm going to have install a flue liner, currently the chimney is capped off so I'm going to have to open it up.

Any tips? And pitfalls to look out for?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Not really, except that you can presumbly put in and run a wood burner before the liner, just to see if you like it. (Presumably your chimney has been subjected to decades of caustic smoke in the past, and a few more months won't make any difference)

Er... I think the liner is because the woodburner operates at a much higher temperature than an open fire so if you do that you risk burning your house down.

So it may make some difference :P

HOLA444

Drop a weight on a string down. Get one of the funnel things that fit on the liner, it will help it not to get stuck when you pull it down. Fit the liner to the wood burner first. It is easier to shorten it at the top. You need a liner so that you get enough draught when the fire is just smouldering. An old chimney will have too large a cross section to work efficiently. You need at least two people.

In old stacks with several flues use a smoke pellet to find out which pot is which, often you will be surprised!

Good luck, quite easy really.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Soz Frank, can't really help you there mate.

The only flues I've ever lined were with the aid of my purple-headed womb-broom...

;)

XYY

Yow dorty bastad! :blink: I am shocked at your "innuendo"!

If you can't get up the chimney yourself, you could always employ Victorian boys!

As a young lad, I always was delighted to volunteer for Church duty! Polshing the parish's big bell, and cleaning the vicar's dirty organ, so it was fit to be played on Sunday! I used get a shilling for it! Then I was straight to Woolworth, to buy a bag of "hundreds and thousands" so I could sprinkle them on Jenny Brakspear's cup cakes, and lick them off!

Ah! Innocent times! ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I know I know but.....it was hysterical. My eye's are still watering! I'm desperately trying to 'compose' myself before the good lady wife gets back.

I quite like the Hartlepool potty mouth sense of humour! :blink: I hope your wife hasn't been away in Hartlepool BTW!

HOLA4414

If you install it yourself and there's a fault would your house insurance cover it?

Just had someone round saying if you install it then it wouldn't be covered under the house insurance if any problems. As far as I was aware it would need signing off by the council to ensure it complies with the building regs. If the council sign if off as fitted properly surely there wouldn't be any issues?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The liner is just there to improve the draw and avoid the usual problem with open fires which is that the open chimney sucks all of the warm air out of the room. You can run a stove in an open fireplace without a liner, it just doesn't work very well - smoke everywhere, no draw so poor burning.

The bad news is that stoves, like electricity, have a cartel that shafts you for several thousand quid if you want anything done. Gone are the days when any jobbing builder could stick a liner up, they now have to be a member of HETAS, and you pay for that privilege. Then you get it signed off by building control. Hasn't stopped me installing several, because as others have said, it is easy.

First point is the liner itself. For wood you need double walled high grade stainless. Don't muck about with low grade stainless, and don't be tempted to stick single wall in.

Second point is that the job is conceptually easy, but at one end of the flue, you are presumably working on the roof. This is hard and possibly dangerous. I did all of ours when we had scaffolding up for another reason, so it was simple.

Finally watch the size of the flue - it will be specified on your stove. 6" will go into pretty much any chimney. 7" may be a bit of a struggle. 8" is for country house style chimneys.

HOLA4418

Archived