House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Brown To Unveil Rules To Ease House Prices

Brown to unveil rules to ease house prices

"First-time buyers struggling to get on the housing ladder will be helped tomorrow by new rules forcing all councils to take soaring local house prices into account when deciding how many new homes to build.

They will have to consider affordability - the gap between earnings and house prices in their areas - before drawing up blueprints. The move means that in desirable areas, with fierce competition for houses and thus high prices, developers will be expected to build thousands more homes, while areas where house prices are at rock bottom because people are reluctant to live there would be discouraged from building."

More: http://politics.guardian.co.uk/economics/s...1657402,00.html

---&---

On average, you can't afford it

"It seems only yesterday that the headlines were shouting that the average UK house price had hit the £100,000 barrier. Yet last month property website Rightmove released a survey showing that the average asking price in the UK is now just a shade off £200,000 - an increase of just a little more than £1,500 on the month before.

It's bad news for anyone earning an average salary. In November the Office for National Statistics released its latest earnings survey showing regional variations in the average annual salary from £20,082 in the North East to £28,912 in London - way below what you would need to buy the average home, assuming a lender allowed you to borrow up to 3.5 times your salary. So what is the average property like in your area - and does your salary match up?"

More: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/story/...1656994,00.html

lol seems our chancellor is trying to hold up house prices while at the same time trying to make them more affordable.

For years he didint give a heck about the ftb as he had enough votes coming from all them that gain, but house prices are now affecting everyone, so he now wants to buy our votes.If he had put something in place to stop the inflation in the first place none of this would have been needed.

Anything he tries now is not going to stop the problem hes caused,.

lol seems our chancellor is trying to hold up house prices while at the same time trying to make them more affordable.

For years he didint give a heck about the ftb as he had enough votes coming from all them that gain, but house prices are now affecting everyone, so he now wants to buy our votes.If he had put something in place to stop the inflation in the first place none of this would have been needed.

Anything he tries now is not going to stop the problem hes caused,.

Exactly.

Gordon Brown has alot to answer for. Tomorrow's pre-budget speak wil be interesting!

Could it be that he intends to actually take credit for a House Price Crash - sorry - not a crash, but the housing market responding to Government initiatives to make housing more affordable.

There is no way the average person can afford to buy a house in this area, from what I can see there is not enough land available to build too many more homes, let alone the infrastructure to support them, not unless you build on the school playing fields, parklands or green belt, heaven forbid.

I for one hope the opposition get together and throw every bit of political filth they can get their hands on at him.

The arrogance and smarm that this guy has previously exhibited will no doubt still be there but he has never been so weak with regard to his forecasts as he is now.

He has systematically weakened the pension outlook and the prospects of every first timer buying a house for an entire generation of the population.

May we all herald tomorrow as the beginning of the end for this sad bigotted bunch of hypocrites that have debased labours core principles and beliefs and now are being shown up for what they really are............

Edited by miser

Could it be that he intends to actually take credit for a House Price Crash - sorry - not a crash, but the housing market responding to Government initiatives to make housing more affordable.

This was the first thing that went through my mind.

Houses are gonna correct and he knows it.

He can either let it happen and look like a buffoon to all the blind sheeple, or he can pretend he only tried to make houses more affordable for those poor FTBs. The sheeple will think "I'm in negative equity to the tune of £xk, but he was trying to help those poor FTBs. That's alright then. Nice man"

NDL

Maybe he has finally cottoned on that:

* Nobody is buying into the share-buy myth.

* Keyworkers aren't the only key salary earners needed to keeping cities running.

* He might just loose the next election, not on the back of people posting here, but rather young people voting for the Lib Dems and handing seats to the Tories in the process. And then there's the parents. Even if they feel warm and fuzzy about how much they are worth, parents have this irritating tendency to concern themselves with their children's wellbeing as well!

* Anyway, I will believe whatever it is he is trying to achieve??? when I see it, and make my mind up accordingly on the evidence. Until then, I abstain or vote Lib Dem (and this is dye hard old-labour talking). I can't be bothered to vote on faith and professions of goodwill anymore.

The Guardian article also says

"The Chancellor is also expected to unveil details in tomorrow's Pre-Budget Report of his plans to provide cheap mortgages for first-time buyers - and a shake-up of planning making it easier to build new roads and airports."

This has got to be good news for all first time buyers.

"The Chancellor is also expected to unveil details in tomorrow's Pre-Budget Report of his plans to provide cheap mortgages for first-time buyers - and a shake-up of planning making it easier to build new roads and airports."

"His plans"? Only if the lenders want to partake, perhaps through tax breaks or the threat of windfall taxes?

Unless HM Government is to become the lender of last resort either directly or via a guarantee scheme.

Just more of the same, got to try to keep the locomotive going at all costs. It needs more fuel from somewhere. But where?

"Shake up of planning"? Again I'll believe this when I see the much needed new and improved infrastructure. "Nimbys" and "Greens" will fight any attempts to build much new infrastructure leading, as usuual, to long delays and much waste of money.

I disagree. Any move that pumps money into the foot of the 'ladder' has the instant effect of increasing HPI. That money goes straight into the house-builders pocket. If first-time buyers suddenly have more money to spend, asking prices will adjust to absorb the new money.

The only thing that will help first-time buyers is a natural correction to sustainable levels.