House Price Crash Forum
awaytogo

London Right To Buy Tenants 'forced Out' Of City

She is not the only right-to-buy'er experiencing problems. The mother-in-law and other people in the same area earn such low salaries that they have never been able to afford to repair and maintain their properties properly. Many of them have spend the decade MEWing (due to low wages) and are left in their late 50's owing £80k (the orignal amount) with no way of being able to repay it.

If capitalism is allowed to prevail then these 'bank renters' will be forced to sell within the decade.

Kind of ironic that they are happy to buy their council homes with a nice big juicy discount but when they have to sell, they want the home to be valued at market rate. Nice to be able to have your big fat cake and eat it.

Kind of ironic that they are happy to buy their council homes with a nice big juicy discount but when they have to sell, they want the home to be valued at market rate. Nice to be able to have your big fat cake and eat it.

exactly. what happened to the idea of personal decision making and responsibility? If they had made hundreds of thousands on the deal would they be complaining 'take the money back'. would they feck.

That whole area has been re-designated by the Westminster politburo as a posh/rich persons zone so the plebs can jolly well ship out!

Heaven forbid that former Council tenants should expect full market value. Thats only for Tories and rich landowners donchaknow.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Depends what you put down as 'market value'.....

Most people steer very clear of ex-LA properties, even more so when they are on at London bubble prices.

That whole area has been re-designated by the Westminster politburo as a posh/rich persons zone so the plebs can jolly well ship out!

Heaven forbid that former Council tenants should expect full market value. Thats only for Tories and rich landowners donchaknow.

Heaven forbid a council tenant who has bought a heavily discounted property which they have been living in and benefitting from heavily discounted rent should have to sell their property with a heavily discounted price.

Heaven forbid a council tenant who has bought a heavily discounted property which they have been living in and benefitting from heavily discounted rent should have to sell their property with a heavily discounted price.

But the discount is a virtual discount on an inflated price. Who inflated the price of London property? Not the tenant.

Thanks to Pickles and the Localism Bill, I am now eligible to buy my Council flat with a '50% discount.' The problem? Well since the greatest financial crash of 2007/2008 they have 'doubled' in price.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I wonder what people who have bought an ex-LA property from a Right to Buyer are getting offered?

While Right to Buyers in London have clearly lucked out, does anyone really begrudge them from wanting to be housed under similar circumstances for similar money if the council wants to redevelop the place for rich people?

But the discount is a virtual discount on an inflated price. Who inflated the price of London property? Not the tenant.

Thanks to Pickles and the Localism Bill, I am now eligible to buy my Council flat with a '50% discount.' The problem? Well since the greatest financial crash of 2007/2008 they have 'doubled' in price.

Well, at least you get 50% off. Those who have not benefitted from social housing have to pay the full whack of an already inflated price and they didn't even get the benefit of low rents and security of tenure! I think you should count your lucky stars that you are getting 50% off a property in the heart of the most expensive city on earth, I know I would be.

Edited by fru-gal

What gets me is that flats on that shit-hole estate are being valued at £300,000!

What I wondered was are the flats in that shit-hole estate really valued at £300,000 or were similarly sized flats nearby valued at £300,000?

Im not even allowed to put my name on the list for social housing, i know plenty of people on much higher salaries than me already in the "social housing system" and have been for donkeys. So not only do they have secure tenure with subsidized rents i in my private rental with no security of tenure am expected to contribute to their housing costs.

Did they pay market value when they bought their home?