House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lifes a game

Guardian: Another Slum Lord Bites The Dust (For Now)

Depressing, yes, but why do these people move into them and agree to pay this level of rent in the first place!

Desperation I guess! These people are not well off and don't have to stump up for high up front fees that normal renters have too. Like me, they would have bugger all chance of getting a council flat.

Housing Benefit is the only thing propping these shams up. Good on Islington council to have addressed this particular development. Pity is, this is just the tip of the iceberg in London at least.

Housing Benefit is the only thing propping these shams up. Good on Islington council to have addressed this particular development. Pity is, this is just the tip of the iceberg in London at least.

Yep...one tenant is quoted as saying "councils are supposed to invest in property, not spend £255 a week on prison cells'

So its the council that makes all this possible. How nice. Slumlords are just chancers...its the council who are evil.

Yep...one tenant is quoted as saying "councils are supposed to invest in property, not spend £255 a week on prison cells'

So its the council that makes all this possible. How nice. Slumlords are just chancers...its the council who are evil.

Yup. The howls in the guardian comments mostly ignore the fact that this is caused by government intervention in the housing market, both on the supply and demand side. Cap housing benfit at 50 quid per person per week, and see rents tumble AND people leave London AND other parts of the country grow as people move back and need feeding, servicing, etc etc

When I was in receipt of Housing Benefit in Hackney in 1998 it was just short of £100 week and I had to top that up by £5 a week from my JSA to a consortium type landlord like this one.

Same circumstances today and I would be 'entitled' (well, the landlord would be 'entitled' to) to £256 a week!

Except that councils only administer LHA. It's funded by the DWP i.e. central government. The legislation (acts and regulations) governing it were passed at Westminster.

Except that councils only administer LHA. It's funded by the DWP i.e. central government. The legislation (acts and regulations) governing it were passed at Westminster.

I've often heard this mentioned but I've never really joined the dots till you succinctly phrased it. So in essence, there is an argument that local councils have been quite happy to dole this money out willy nilly all these years as it's not really theirs and their budgets are not affected.

When I was in receipt of Housing Benefit in Hackney in 1998 it was just short of £100 week and I had to top that up by £5 a week from my JSA to a consortium type landlord like this one.

Same circumstances today and I would be 'entitled' (well, the landlord would be 'entitled' to) to £256 a week!

The massive increase has nothing to do with the government of course, it's "the market" ;-)