House Price Crash Forum

51 Yes 49 No - Rumoured Yougov Poll Tomorrow

R K

HOLA441

Clearly the poor English need Scotland.

London is doing a wonderful job of destroying all that is around it.

I do wonder why, if England has to subsidise the Scots so much ( as many believe ) why the tories ( who would benefit from Labour losing 50 seats ) are trying so hard to sway the vote.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The other thing I wonder about is if things are going to end up being so bad in Scotland post a Yes vote, surely the opposite would be true for the other half of the split?

Companies would come to England, house prices will rise, investment would go to England etc. So they tell us.

The other interesting thing about the vote is the pattern amongst different groups on average. It seems it is the dispossessed, those with little hope of advancement who are seeking to shake things up, another roll of the dice, a tilting of the field their way...the young, men, less well off.

Whereas those who want to maintain the status quo want to keep their positions, their middle class jobs, their houses, their pension promises. They are the ones with 'fear'.

Yet the overall split itself suggests it is merely a coin toss. If a decision is too close to call, it is because there is little material to choose between them. It cannot really be true that there are nearly equal shares of potential winners and losers from independence?

What I don't understand ( yet ) is that it'll still be the same old families that own all the land and the wealth,

I'm all for independence but I am more hopeful of freedom.

If the Scottish people do not demand a republic after an indepence vote and the return of the counties wealth to the government so that it can be managed for the people then what's the point in independence ?

All the shepherds ( the bankers, the establishment and the landed genetry ) will have is the same number of sheep split across 2 fields instead of 1.

HOLA443
HOLA444

9 out 0f 10 of the poorest regions in northern Europe are in the UK. But NOT in Scotland it seems.

The richest region in northern Europe is London.

The conclusion in the following document is to do with regional policy, high levels of inequality i.e. wealth distribution POLICY.

http://inequalitybriefing.org/brief/briefing-43-the-poorest-regions-of-the-uk-are-the-poorest-in-northern-

293ayk5.jpg

..we are too London centric ...part solution ...move the capital and government offices out and all other centralised trappings like the BBC ...leave the City and the Tourist areas to their strengths .... :rolleyes:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

..we are too London centric ...part solution ...move the capital and government offices out and all other centralised trappings like the BBC ...leave the City and the Tourist areas to their strengths .... :rolleyes:

Some countries Australia, US for starters quite deliberately do not have their political capitals in the biggest cities or financial centres.

There is no reason other than inertia why Parliament should be based in London

Indeed, given the flexibility of modern electronic communications there is zero reason why they need to be tied to one spot

In fact if you dig back far enough English Parliaments were held in places as diverse as York, Northampton, Oxford, Leicester, Winchester and Coventry as well as London.

Perhaps it is time they got out and about more.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4411

I think you have to take these stepwise. The Irish agreed to have debt heaped on them for recompensing those who had stolen their land in the first place (a bit like the huge sums paid to slave owning landowners for having to release their slaves). But then they eventually reneged on those debts because they were simply too big. It cost them for a couple of decades though as the 'Brits' took sanctions.

Yes De Valera reneging on the Land Annuities element of the 1921 Treaty led to a series of tit for tat trade sanctions with Britain which did the Irish economy no favours in the 1930s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89amon_de_Valera#President_of_the_Executive_Council

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I see John Reid's out campaigning for no too.

An independent Scotland could basically reconstitute the New Labour cabinet. Even Blair could make a comeback.

IIRC Reid called for a 'serious grown up debate' about immigration in 2005, and again in 2007. Cameron called for the same thing in 2009, and then in response to the public mood proposed limiting the numbers of immigrants to a few tens of thousands per year - and we all know what happened, of course. Nothing, we still have completely open borders.

At present Holyrood has no powers over citizenship or immigration, something Scots might care to reflect upon when confronted by Reid's foul appearance.

HOLA4415

Why is it so difficult to redistribute wealth to the poorer areas of the UK? If they had done this, then the 'yes' campaign wouldn't have anywhere near the ammunition it has. Is it simply a case of greed? I honeslty don't understand why the 'Better Together' crowd which has most of the British elite within it's ranks and which claims to love the UK/Britain so much hasn't done anything to re-balance the UK from London to other poorer areas. It's quite possibly too late now even if there is a 'no' vote. The Scots have started something.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Why is it so difficult to redistribute wealth to the poorer areas of the UK? If they had done this, then the 'yes' campaign wouldn't have anywhere near the ammunition it has. Is it simply a case of greed? I honeslty don't understand why the 'Better Together' crowd which has most of the British elite within it's ranks and which claims to love the UK/Britain so much hasn't done anything to re-balance the UK from London to other poorer areas. It's quite possibly too late now even if there is a 'no' vote. The Scots have started something.

But how you can put all the government departments you want in the regions but if privately owned businesses want to be London and the South East how do you stop them?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Obama urges Scotland not to ruin America's 'special relationship' with Britain by voting for independence

1410802554194_Puff_Image_galleryImage_US

The dramatic intervention, just three days before Scotland goes to the polls, will infuriate Alex Salmond - with the battle for independence set to be decided by the smallest of margins.

It does appear a lot of people are worried by this, Obama thinking that it could be some US states following next?

HOLA4420

But how you can put all the government departments you want in the regions but if privately owned businesses want to be London and the South East how do you stop them?

Tax breaks for businesses in designated enterprise zones? There aren't many other levers the government has which don't risk creating a quasi-governmental economy.

HOLA4421

Some countries Australia, US for starters quite deliberately do not have their political capitals in the biggest cities or financial centres.

There is no reason other than inertia why Parliament should be based in London

Indeed, given the flexibility of modern electronic communications there is zero reason why they need to be tied to one spot

In fact if you dig back far enough English Parliaments were held in places as diverse as York, Northampton, Oxford, Leicester, Winchester and Coventry as well as London.

Perhaps it is time they got out and about more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island

I would have suggested this Island especially a few years ago.

HOLA4422

Obama urges Scotland not to ruin America's 'special relationship' with Britain by voting for independence

1410802554194_Puff_Image_galleryImage_US

The dramatic intervention, just three days before Scotland goes to the polls, will infuriate Alex Salmond - with the battle for independence set to be decided by the smallest of margins.

It does appear a lot of people are worried by this, Obama thinking that it could be some US states following next?

Im sure not many will change their vote because some out of touch not very good black politician tells them to.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The simple fact that we have a simple YES campaign, and overstuffed London twats calling their campaign Better Together, paired with celebrity endorsements says it all.

I will utterly despair if Scotland vote no. It will leave the worst taste in all our mouths.

I am a Londoner. I need the Scots to save me.

Edited by Tonkers

HOLA4425

Tax breaks for businesses in designated enterprise zones? There aren't many other levers the government has which don't risk creating a quasi-governmental economy.

I agree but of sort of tried with the enterprise zones, when the taxpayers money stops then they leave.

Lower uni fees couple with tax breaks for research might work