House Price Crash Forum

Detective Book Series

Trampa501

HOLA441

I've enjoyed the Rebus series by Ian Rankin, and the Wallender series by Henning Mankell (among others).

I've now been made aware of the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr (Berlin detective from the 30s onwards) - looking forward to sampling a couple.

Any others that can be recommended?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Have a look at Jo Nesbo. Good reads.

Yes, good books, I enjoy his writing

Also Peter Robinson, the Inspector Banks series (even if you've seen the TV series)

Peter James - Roy Grace novels based in Brighton

Camilla Lackberg - another swedish writer featuring Patrik Hedstrom definitely recommended

Robert Wilson - Det. Javier Falcon based in Seville, Spain if I remember rightly

Donna Leon - Inspectore Brunetti in Venice

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

David downing's station series quite good. About to start the third one. Dashiell hammett is worth a look along with raymong Chandler mentioned above. Also James ellroy's LA quartet.

www.fantasticfiction.co.uk will show the order of series by authors so you can read them in the right order too.

HOLA4410

You could just read through this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Top_100_Crime_Novels_of_All_Time

Though I am not sure some of the titles are strictly crime novels

Hat tip to Patricia Highsmiths Strangers On A Train which must be one of the best murder plots ever devised.

Ed Mcbain (87th Precinct Police prodecurals) and Ross Macdonald (Lew Archer) are also worthy of consideration

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Even if they find out, they'll do nothing - unless he does 31 in the 30 limit. :lol:

Even in centimetres, that's quite an impressive member! :blink:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Trial by Franz Kafka

Noddy and the Naughty Gollyw*gs by Enid Blyton

I see you are a well read person!

HOLA4419

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may give Peter Robinson a miss, as I read one in the Banks series and wasn't too impressed, but that may have been just my personal taste.

Of course there are also "one-off" stories that appeal. I really enjoyed "The curious incident of the dog in the night time" and also "Shadow of the Wind" - if those qualify as a crime mystery.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I highly recommend anything by Michael Connelly, who has a fictional detective called Harry Bosch. For the forensic psychologist genre, Kathy Reichs, Kathryn Fox, and Jefferson Bass. (Bill Bass-one of the co-authors-manages The Body Farm in Tennessee in real life.) For female private eyes, Sue Grafton's 'Alphabet' series with PI Kinsey Millhone, Sara Paretsky's character V.I.Warshawski (considerably better-written than the film!) and for something a little different, Dana Stabenow's 'Kate Shugak' series. The character of Shugak is an Aleut private investigator, living in Alaska. You may also like James Lee Burke, who writes about a sheriff's deputy and a PI in Louisiana. Burke manages to combine a poetic descriptive writing style with staggering violence.

HOLA4422

Archived