House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rave

My Cat Has Congestive Heart Failure...

Our eldest British Blue was fine until a month ago. Then she developed an eye infection. We took her to the vets, he pronounced her otherwise healthy and gave her eye drops. Last week she became increasingly reluctant to come and eat her dinner (though her eyes were fine).

Long story short she's had three visits to the vets since, culminating in a £525 visit yesterday in which she got general anaestheticed, x-rayed, had her lungs drained via a needle shoved in through her ribs, and got put on diuretics and heart pills. She doesn't like taking them but I've managed to get them all down her neck through the troubling brutality of grabbing her head, teasing her mouth open, dropping the pill in and then rubbing her chin while blowing on her nose.

Anyway the diagnosis is that she's got congestive heart failure. Today's pills seem to have made no odds, she can still get up and walk a short distance, but she's still lolling about looking miserable. She's due back tomorrow at 11.45 for a further checkup. The real problem as I see it is that we can't seem to persuade her to eat more than a fraction of what I reckon she needs, and she's already bony having lost about 15% of her previous bodyweight,

She's 11 1/2 years old, which as far as I can tell isn't a bad age for an inbred pedigree cat.

So really I just want to know if anyone has had a cat recover from a proper heart problem and go on to have a few more happy years? I'd be happy to have her as she is lolloping about for a few more months/years, but we can't persuade her to eat more than a thimbleful of food at a time, and I really don't want to watch her waste away. I do trust my vet's advice, he's a nice kind man, and I guess if he recommends putting her out of it I'll accept his advice, it just seems to me that 48 hours and two heart pills might not be enough time to give them a chance to work...

That does not sound good! A newer cat should be considered!

I'm already reconciled to losing her; I'm about to go sleep on the floor next to her in the front room for what may be her last night on earth.

She was never that close to our other two cats, will it mentally damage them if she disappears and never returns?

I recently had my cat put down who was 19 and I had had since I was 5 years old

I still haven't gotten over it and probably never will

Yes I had to have a cat put down once! It wasn't nice but the cat wasn't having much fun any more!

I'm already reconciled to losing her; I'm about to go sleep on the floor next to her in the front room for what may be her last night on earth.

She was never that close to our other two cats, will it mentally damage them if she disappears and never returns?

:( Sorry to hear all of that. Cats are primarily solitary animals and, in my experience, they won't be upset by another cat disappearing unless they were bonded pretty much from birth.

:( Sorry to hear all of that. Cats are primarily solitary animals and, in my experience, they won't be upset by another cat disappearing unless they were bonded pretty much from birth.

Lions aren't solitary animals! Cats vary!

I read you should have them put to sleep at home, so the other cats can see she's dead and will know not to look for her. Doesn't mean they won't pine though.

I'm not crying, just got something in my eye.

Basically vets cost a fortune to tell you they're suffering from old cat/dog but aren't totally honest that there's nothing you can do to any long term effect.

If the fluid's been drained once it will build again, They will struggle to breathe and the, I think, liver will swell up making their stomach look bloated. In all honesty I would just make the cat comfortable take food and water to her and keep the litter tray nearby and she will eventually slip away but it can take longer than you think even if they've become virtually immobile but I wouldn't think more than a week. I don't think they get in that much pain and they do seem to get moments when they are winning against the fluid build up and are just be happy to be sat by you.

Personally I wouldn't give the cat the stress of the vet my view is whose pain is the vet putting to sleep theirs or yours from being forced to watch them die?

Edit to add: maybe let the other cats see the body but I always think they can sense when another one is dying prior to the event.

I read you should have them put to sleep at home, so the other cats can see she's dead and will know not to look for her. Doesn't mean they won't pine though.

I'm not crying, just got something in my eye.

My mate's dog died, so I looked through my old photographs, and found a black and white one of the dog! I had it blown up to a 10x8 size, and he was delighted and had it framed!

My mate's dog died, so I looked through my old photographs, and found a black and white one of the dog! I had it blown up to a 10x8 size, and he was delighted and had it framed!

Aww.

Not surprised it died if you had it blown up.

Aww.

That's "Hard Bob the Biker" that is! He's not as "hard" as he thinks he is! Actually a very nice bloke! A Gentleman, I would say, and I've not met many of those! I went shopping with his wife, and he stood outside with the dogs, and when I was eventually allowed out of the store, he is collecting lost children again! Luckily he is not from Rotheram, so we phoned the plod, and had them reunited with their families!

Not surprised it died if you had it blown up.

It was a nice dog, but about the size of a horse, so it's a good job he was friendly!

We got a a pair last year and one went missing. We were absolutely distraught as he was a great pet and not at all like cats should be. But our other cat, who was rescued with him was even more upset.

Been 3 months since he went missing so were going to get a new one on Monday.

Not very HPC but instant tears reading that - I really feel for you.

I've had lots of cats over the years, sometimes singly, other times two or three. Some have missed having a particular cat around but have quickly adjusted whereas some cats have been happier when finally on their own, so a bit difficult to know how your other two will react. They should adjust ok though so I don't think you should be overly concerned right now.

Hope your cat had a comfortable night.

We had one cat put down (26 quid!) and then left him in his box in our living room so that the other cat could get used to the idea. He looked so peaceful.....as if he was sleeping

Our current cat is 2 years old but will be put down at the first sign of weakness!.

We had one cat put down (26 quid!) and then left him in his box in our living room so that the other cat could get used to the idea. He looked so peaceful.....as if he was sleeping

Our current cat is 2 years old but will be put down at the first sign of weakness!.

Spartan! :blink: Probably got another 15 years left!

Our eldest British Blue was fine until a month ago. Then she developed an eye infection. We took her to the vets, he pronounced her otherwise healthy and gave her eye drops. Last week she became increasingly reluctant to come and eat her dinner (though her eyes were fine).

Long story short she's had three visits to the vets since, culminating in a £525 visit yesterday in which she got general anaestheticed, x-rayed, had her lungs drained via a needle shoved in through her ribs, and got put on diuretics and heart pills. She doesn't like taking them but I've managed to get them all down her neck through the troubling brutality of grabbing her head, teasing her mouth open, dropping the pill in and then rubbing her chin while blowing on her nose.

Anyway the diagnosis is that she's got congestive heart failure. Today's pills seem to have made no odds, she can still get up and walk a short distance, but she's still lolling about looking miserable. She's due back tomorrow at 11.45 for a further checkup. The real problem as I see it is that we can't seem to persuade her to eat more than a fraction of what I reckon she needs, and she's already bony having lost about 15% of her previous bodyweight,

She's 11 1/2 years old, which as far as I can tell isn't a bad age for an inbred pedigree cat.

So really I just want to know if anyone has had a cat recover from a proper heart problem and go on to have a few more happy years? I'd be happy to have her as she is lolloping about for a few more months/years, but we can't persuade her to eat more than a thimbleful of food at a time, and I really don't want to watch her waste away. I do trust my vet's advice, he's a nice kind man, and I guess if he recommends putting her out of it I'll accept his advice, it just seems to me that 48 hours and two heart pills might not be enough time to give them a chance to work...

One of my cats needs daily medication, I mould the pill into the centre of a pellet of cheese and she eats it with no problem.

One of my cats needs daily medication, I mould the pill into the centre of a pellet of cheese and she eats it with no problem.

Our old cat went bonkers for cheese! She is dead now!

Thank you all for the kind words. The good news is that she's still with us, the vet looked quite pleased with her progress! She's going back on Wednesday for another checkup.

I'll try that but she has always been very good at spitting out pills however well we try to hide them in food! And at the moment, she's hardly eating at all. The vet suggested warming her food up, so after she's had a bit of time to recover from the bus ride home I'm going to try microwaving some cat food, which I'm sure will be every bit as much of a disgusting endeavour as it sounds!