House Price Crash Forum

Buying A Used Van.

HOLA441

I need to get a medium van shortly. I will be using it weekends only about 2,000 miles per year. I really don't want to spend much more than £3k.

I have been looking at Vivaro's, Traffic's and Primastar's with about 150k on them.

I am also considering a LDV maxus after having a 02 red ex. po van which was very reliable.

I have ruled out Transits as they are quite rusty at £3k/10 year old

Any thoughts?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Vivaros have dodgy gearboxes and injectors pre-08. After that they got Renault engines and they're very good. Mines a 58 plate on 142k miles without any trouble (touch wood). Gearbox developed a slight whine in 6th but an oil change stopped that. Gets 40+mpg if driven gently. Nice to drive. Can't fault it.

I had an old style Vito before that which was good but rusted to death. Mercedes vans all seem to suffer from tin worm as do Transits.

HOLA444

LDV Maxus is possibly a good shout assuming you can still get basic consumables like brake pads.

The Trafic/Vivaro can have expensive problems at that sort of mileage, or less, basically there are well known problems with injectors and high pressure fuel pumps in common rail diesel engines and this model is particularly badly effected.

I had a sizable fleet of of Renault Master vans and they all eventually had the same issue and it was cheaper to scrap the lot than repair and barely any made it over 100k. Made the mistake of deciding to keep for 5 years rather than just the warranty period.

Lottery really best thing probably to find one from a good home with obvious life left in it.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I would suggest a class7 panel van, for low yearly mileage in that price bracket, where 30 mpg from a big lazy engine is a better bet than 40mpg from a more highly strung one when the 25% difference in fuel purchase cost is not that big a deal. The bigger vans tend to be more solidly built than the lighter ones and hence less on their last legs at that age.

VW LTs and merc sprinters are worth a look, just work out which are the best engines. I run an LT with the 2.8 engine as my only vehicle and it is very good.

Generally, the dealers get the best vans from fleet auctions, although you might get lucky with a private seller.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Fitted up with bike carrier, kayak rack on roof, bed in back, camping stove etc. in there permanently.

You are a man of dreams, and that seems a nice one! :)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Bought a LWB Vivaro in the end, I took it for a test drive - gearbox is good, clutch is good - no smoke. Fairly good for a 150k van, and it;s had a fair chunk spent on it in the past.

I will be doing about 2k per year in it so hopefully it will last the next 3 years!

Bejesus, that was expensive! :wacko:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Something I was going to post on this thread, and forgot - so no use to the OP now but, worth remembering that older vans cannot go into London these days.

Not a problem, I wont be going further than Taunton to Bristol of a Saturday evening.

Fingers crossed. My last van was an ex PO LDV convoy - ugly red thing, but incredibly reliable. The 06 Vivaro looks much nicer in Black, but it must be reliable or it;s back on ebay.

HOLA4419

Not a problem, I wont be going further than Taunton to Bristol of a Saturday evening.

Fingers crossed. My last van was an ex PO LDV convoy - ugly red thing, but incredibly reliable. The 06 Vivaro looks much nicer in Black, but it must be reliable or it;s back on ebay.

Good luck with the van! You can wave at me when you go past Clevedon!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Give me a shout if you need a mobile DJ of a Saturday evening next year :-)

You can hear my guitar from the motorway! I am a musician of sorts!

HOLA4422

Archived