House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Testing A Betamax Vcr (No Signal To Modern Tv).

So I've taken an old Betamax VRC from out of the loft (if had to be lowed in a suitcase on a piece of rope) to sell on eBay. It still runs but there's no signal to my TV. Before I tested the VCR I also tested a ZX Spectrum,which once again provided no signal. I've subsequently discovered that I the Specy will need to be

which is not a problem. However, I've not been able to establish why the VCR isn't working and what work-arounds I need to perform ?

I would still expect it to work, if you have a TV which can accept an analogue RF signal (I haven't bought a new TV for years, so I don't know whether new TVs still have analogue compatibility), it should work if you tune it in, although the quality would likely leave a lot to be desired.

Failing that, most TVs should still have an analogue composite input, and the VCR should have a composite output - so it should just be a matter of connecting them up, and it should work. There should be nothing to mod, unless your VCR only has an RF output, and your TV does not have an analogue RF input.

I would still expect it to work, if you have a TV which can accept an analogue RF signal (I haven't bought a new TV for years, so I don't know whether new TVs still have analogue compatibility), it should work if you tune it in, although the quality would likely leave a lot to be desired.

Failing that, most TVs should still have an analogue composite input, and the VCR should have a composite output - so it should just be a matter of connecting them up, and it should work. There should be nothing to mod, unless your VCR only has an RF output, and your TV does not have an analogue RF input.

It's a monster ! It only has RF and the TV doesn't have an option to "tune in" and the menu doesn't include VCR. I have an old TV in the shed (I know) which I'll dig out. On the plus side the specy is modded and up and running,well almost as I don't have a tape player with mic and ear. Thanks for your advice.

Seems I don't need a tape player but I do need a mono cable !

What are you doing with a Betamax?

It's a monster ! It only has RF and the TV doesn't have an option to "tune in" and the menu doesn't include VCR. I have an old TV in the shed (I know) which I'll dig out. On the plus side the specy is modded and up and running,well almost as I don't have a tape player with mic and ear. Thanks for your advice.

Personally I would just leave it outside at the bins and see if anyone picks it up. To be honest, this is of no use to anyone? I once left a computer on the street in Edinburgh, at a bin, and about 8 minutes later, after I had walked to a shop and came back it was gone. Supply and demand. Betamax is an 80`s concept and has only nostalgic value?

Personally I would just leave it outside at the bins and see if anyone picks it up. To be honest, this is of no use to anyone? I once left a computer on the street in Edinburgh, at a bin, and about 8 minutes later, after I had walked to a shop and came back it was gone. Supply and demand. Betamax is an 80`s concept and has only nostalgic value? (A bit like HPI really?)

Personally I would just leave it outside at the bins and see if anyone picks it up. To be honest, this is of no use to anyone? I once left a computer on the street in Edinburgh, at a bin, and about 8 minutes later, after I had walked to a shop and came back it was gone. Supply and demand. Betamax is an 80`s concept and has only nostalgic value? (A bit like HPI really?)

WTF?

I think some of the newer tellys have dispensed with the old analogue tuner and are now digital only.

I think the best bet is to try and pick up an old style CRT telly. You could try the dump or freecycle

It's a monster ! It only has RF and the TV doesn't have an option to "tune in" and the menu doesn't include VCR.

It shouldn't necessarily need a VCR, the signal is no different to any other analogue signal. If there's no analogue tuner though you won't get anywhere with it. A more modern analogue TV should be able to find the signals automatically if you select the tuning menu (there must be one somewhere) but you'll probably need to be playing something on the VCR for it to pick up.

Any TV that is around 2 years or older should be able to tune analogue. I have some quite modern Samsung and LG smart tv's which still have analogue tuners in them and these are around 2 years old.

If you can get it tuned into a TV it should play tapes but that would be the limit of it's functionality.

None of the UK broadcasters transmit analogue TV signals any more so it won't be able to record anything.

Unless white noise is your thing....

I think some of the newer tellys have dispensed with the old analogue tuner and are now digital only.

I think the best bet is to try and pick up an old style CRT telly. You could try the dump or freecycle

I'm certain there's no tuner. It's a Alba TV with HDMI that kinda doubles for a monitor (and that's what it will end up being). I could check their website but I have an old TV which I'm digging out. So I'll know for sure then if it works or not.

It shouldn't necessarily need a VCR, the signal is no different to any other analogue signal. If there's no analogue tuner though you won't get anywhere with it. A more modern analogue TV should be able to find the signals automatically if you select the tuning menu (there must be one somewhere) but you'll probably need to be playing something on the VCR for it to pick up.

As above - no tuning me thinks.

Any TV that is around 2 years or older should be able to tune analogue. I have some quite modern Samsung and LG smart tv's which still have analogue tuners in them and these are around 2 years old.

If you can get it tuned into a TV it should play tapes but that would be the limit of it's functionality.

None of the UK broadcasters transmit analogue TV signals any more so it won't be able to record anything.

Unless white noise is your thing....

I need to be sure the picture quality is good. The nerds love these units and therefore I need to be 100% sure I'm selling it as described.

Example : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-BETAMAX-SL-C6UB-VIDEO-RECORDER-VTR-SL-C6-mk2-BETA-MAX-/251633099755?pt=UK_ConsumerElec_VCRs&hash=item3a968063eb

This is the same model as mine.

I am unfamiliar with electrical equipment from the Pleistocene era!

I'm certain there's no tuner. It's a Alba TV with HDMI that kinda doubles for a monitor (and that's what it will end up being). I could check their website but I have an old TV which I'm digging out. So I'll know for sure then if it works or not.

As above - no tuning me thinks.

I need to be sure the picture quality is good. The nerds love these units and therefore I need to be 100% sure I'm selling it as described.

Example : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-BETAMAX-SL-C6UB-VIDEO-RECORDER-VTR-SL-C6-mk2-BETA-MAX-/251633099755?pt=UK_ConsumerElec_VCRs&hash=item3a968063eb

This is the same model as mine.

Recently found a huge stock of family videos whilst clearing out my dad's place. My partner had an old video camera that will play them with an an analogue output. Our solution was to buy a USB Video to MPEG converter, cost about £10 off eBay I think

If it only has an analog RF (UHF) output, you will need a demodulator such as this one in order to view the output on a TV that does not have a built-in analogue tuner.

Betamax PAL VCRs in good working order are very much in demand by archives and video transfer houses. The belts and servo will probably want replacing on yours, but if it plays a tape as things are, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get £50 to £100 on Ebay for it.

If it only has an analog RF (UHF) output, you will need a demodulator such as this one in order to view the output on a TV that does not have a built-in analogue tuner.

Betamax PAL VCRs in good working order are very much in demand by archives and video transfer houses. The belts and servo will probably want replacing on yours, but if it plays a tape as things are, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get £50 to £100 on Ebay for it.

Thanks - I've been trying to find out if cleaning the heads might fix the problem. If it does then I'll do the repair myself and sell it as running. So far though I've had no response. However, I suspect it's internal electronics,at least going by what I've read so far.