House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Jihadists Miss Their Nando's

Dozens of British jihadis 'want to return home': Intermediary claims up to 30 British men have made requests after becoming disillusioned with the conflict
  • More than 500 Britons have gone to Syria to fight alongside Islamists
  • But it is said some of them are now tired of the conflict and want to return
  • Research institute says it has been contacted by fighter in the region
  • He and 30 others are said to be unhappy with the course of the conflict
  • They want to come back to Britain but are put off by the threat of jail terms

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2744620/Dozens-British-jihadis-want-return-home-Intermediary-claims-30-British-men-requests-disillusioned-conflict.html

I wanted to be a soldier when I was at school and since then have regularly read fictionalised and factual accounts of special forces operations; maybe my way of being a soldier by proxy.

What comes across time and time again is how unpleasant, boring, uncomfortable and occasionally very very dangerous the whole thing is. And this is from semi-fictionalised accounts which skip through the hours and days when nothing happens.

The really glamourised version, such as Sharpe, skips over much of this but I have no doubt what the reality is like.

If there was a radical anti-jihadist movement then you would have found the 18 year old me signing up for it, especially if I was egged on by on-line forums and Youtube videos, and only finding out later just how bad the reality was.

I'll leave it to the pros myself; and if these bedroom warriors ever come across real pros they will be slaughtered.

To quote Kate Bush:

"You can't win a war with ego".

Quick edit: I deliberately put Nando's thinking that was the right spelling, I've never actually seen such a thing.

The hard core of mercenary-jihadists currently murdering people in Syria and Iraq hail from some of the roughest places on Earth. They've fought in the Balkans, Chechnya, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Iraq again. The selection pressures must have been huge and the starting pool of mean b@stards will have been whittled down to a group of even meaner b@stards and a relatively scarce resource.

Which is presumably why someone went to the effort of springing a couple of thousand of them from sundry jails last year, prior to ISIL's dramatic appearance on stage.

I'm not sure how much use a bunch of relatively soft, squishy, British-raised wannabee jihadists are going to be to characters like that. I'm thinking canon fodder, front men for propaganda videos and, at a pinch, goat substitutes.

The hard core of mercenary-jihadists currently murdering people in Syria and Iraq hail from some of the roughest places on Earth. They've fought in the Balkans, Chechnya, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Iraq again. The selection pressures must have been huge and the starting pool of mean b@stards will have been whittled down to a group of even meaner b@stards and a relatively scarce resource.

Which is presumably why someone went to the effort of springing a couple of thousand of them from sundry jails last year, prior to ISIL's dramatic appearance on stage.

I'm not sure how much use a bunch of relatively soft, squishy, British-raised wannabee jihadists are going to be to characters like that. I'm thinking canon fodder, front men for propaganda videos and, at a pinch, goat substitutes.

Mostly this.

The 20 year old girl from Glasgow is now "married" to an ISIS terrorist, a total nightmare for her poor parents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2742112/You-ve-betrayed-Parents-private-school-jihadist-emotional-appeal-stop-inciting-massacre-return-home-Syria.html

(Tell me when to stop posting Monkeydust references.)

How about never.

The best documentary record of Blair-era Britain, bar none impo.

Please sir, can I come home now? My **** hurts and the nasty jihadis won't let me play video games in my bedroom all night.

Mostly this.

The 20 year old girl from Glasgow is now "married" to an ISIS terrorist, a total nightmare for her poor parents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2742112/You-ve-betrayed-Parents-private-school-jihadist-emotional-appeal-stop-inciting-massacre-return-home-Syria.html

Good for her. I hope she gets to live the true life of a woman married to a fundalmentalist muslim nutjob.

In Reck B's utopia, your average run of the mill 'normal' muslim has a moment of clarity and see's Islam as the paedophilic death cult it appears to be and converts to Buddhism, leaving a small handful (50,000 or so?) of the unchangeably deranged, megalomaniac, Nazi-esque psychopaths who could, quite easily I'm sure, be wiped out in a week or two.

That's what the hardcore will think, so all the more reason to prep them for 72 exploding virgins or whatever it is.

cannon fodder and useful domestic disruptors.

(and the black flag stuff is completely apocalyptic stuff in the koran, so the people behind this are not messing about)

either way, they made their bed,they have to lie in it now.it should have been made clear it was a one-way trip.

E-Borders passport machine says noooo.

do not pass go

do not collect £200.

As a hot-headed, right-on 19 year old (in 1998) I was appalled by the stories coming out of Afghanistan about how the Taliban were abusing women and generally being awful. If someone had proposed a latter-day International Brigade to go there and fight them I'd very probably have been up for it. Nobody did, of course, and the rest is history.

Now I was motivated by liberal values and human rights ideals, whereas the modern breed of young British Jihadis presumably are not. But the net result would have been the same, I would have gone off to fight people in a foreign land.

So much as I despise Radical Islam I do think that we should agree to the deal those having second thoughts are now proposing, I.E. arrest upon return, tagging or maybe even internment, a full intelligence debrief/interrogation, compulsory de-radicalisation, maybe a year or two in prison. I can't see that anything is to be gained by leaving them there, and they may well have useful intelligence to share, not least if they know the identities of the people who have been involved in summary executions of civilians/ POWs, or beheading journalists. Of course if any of them are subsequently found to have willingly participated in such atrocities they still get life without parole, but I daresay the ones who have developed real bloodlust are not the ones wanting out.

We shouldn't forget that not even six months ago nobody had heard of ISIS, but we were hearing daily of war crimes committed by Assad's government against pretty much anyone who wasn't an Alawite.

The food must be crap out there! I went to Pakistan once! Not to join a Madrassa, and join the fight between different brands of Islam, but to make something work, that didn't work before! Actually the food was great, and once my guts settled down a bit (over a week) . I used to have chilli omelette for breakfast!

see's Islam as the paedophilic death cult it appears to be

The way you describe Islam it sounds just like Catholicism, maybe these two religions should merge into the globalist one-world-religion... :ph34r:

Reading accounts of the First World War I am always struck by the fact that the best soldiers in the British Army were often either the hard men who formed the core of the regular army in 1914 or else rather unlikely groups such as ex civil service clerks who seemed to adapt rather well from organised paper pushing to organised killing as a job. It was the high minded romantics fired with military ardour for whom the reality of war palled most quickly.

Reading accounts of the First World War I am always struck by the fact that the best soldiers in the British Army were often either the hard men who formed the core of the regular army in 1914 or else rather unlikely groups such as ex civil service clerks who seemed to adapt rather well from organised paper pushing to organised killing as a job. It was the high minded romantics fired with military ardour for whom the reality of war palled most quickly.

And then they became poets?

The way you describe Islam it sounds just like Catholicism, maybe these two religions should merge into the globalist one-world-religion... :ph34r:

that's a bit harsh.

I would say the ISIS brand of islam is VERY similar to pre-reformation catholicism.

thankfully some(not all) have grown up.

but we do have to deal with the "convert-or-die-you-infidel" clique very sternly, and give support to the "reformers" within islam.

let them have their "reformation" and 30 years war,we have a 600 year head start in experience of having gone through what they are now going through .

hopefully after that things will be a bit more peaceful

that's a bit harsh.

I would say the ISIS brand of islam is VERY similar to pre-reformation catholicism...

unfortunately ratzinger and his ilk have demonstarbly proven there are still some elements within catholicism that see everybody that doesn't agree with them as infidel too..so we should treat that particular institution as hostile for the time being(yes he was directly involved in the import of foreigners in order to start civil unrest in this country..and then for an invasion of some EU troops to pacify the rebellion first,and then the heretics)

THIS is why there is merit to that arrest warrant story doing the rounds...it is sedition and the intent to cause harm to the people of this country.

thankfully some(not all) have grown up.

but we do have to deal with the "convert-or-die-you-infidel" clique very sternly, and give support to the "reformers" within islam.

let them have their "reformation" and 30 years war,we have a 600 year head start in experience of having gone through what they are now going through .

hopefully after that things will be a bit more peaceful

One rule to ring them all? :blink:

As a hot-headed, right-on 19 year old (in 1998) I was appalled by the stories coming out of Afghanistan about how the Taliban were abusing women and generally being awful. If someone had proposed a latter-day International Brigade to go there and fight them I'd very probably have been up for it. Nobody did, of course, and the rest is history.

Now I was motivated by liberal values and human rights ideals, whereas the modern breed of young British Jihadis presumably are not. But the net result would have been the same, I would have gone off to fight people in a foreign land.

So much as I despise Radical Islam I do think that we should agree to the deal those having second thoughts are now proposing, I.E. arrest upon return, tagging or maybe even internment, a full intelligence debrief/interrogation, compulsory de-radicalisation, maybe a year or two in prison. I can't see that anything is to be gained by leaving them there, and they may well have useful intelligence to share, not least if they know the identities of the people who have been involved in summary executions of civilians/ POWs, or beheading journalists. Of course if any of them are subsequently found to have willingly participated in such atrocities they still get life without parole, but I daresay the ones who have developed real bloodlust are not the ones wanting out.

We shouldn't forget that not even six months ago nobody had heard of ISIS, but we were hearing daily of war crimes committed by Assad's government against pretty much anyone who wasn't an Alawite.

The intelligence is only useful IF 'we' intend on continuing to maintain our general interference and presence in that part of the world on an everyday basis. IF we treated/regarded the Middle East, in general, in the same way as, say, Outer Mongolia or the far side of the Moon (i.e. never give it a waking moments thought!) then the intelligence becomes of academic curiosity value only.

IF there is one prediction I would stake my entire life savings on is that, IF every last drop of oil and gas instantly disappeared from the Middle East today, you would struggle to find news of routine suicide car bombings in downtown Baghdad or Palestinians rioting in the West Bank tomorrow even buried in page 23 of the Guardian!

They went there. Let them stay there!

They went there. Let them stay there!

I think that's something pretty much the entire country, for once, is united on. The question is how to keep them there. The trick the Yanks use is their no-fly list since they're so far away from the crazy places it makes it really tough for people on it to get back home. The UK could do something similar but it wouldn't stop the loons travelling back by land and sea. The passport trick is actually quite clever though since it appears that ISIS recruits have to burn theirs as part of the joining process. If the UK government refuses to issue them with new ones, without actually revoking their citizenship, then it makes it very hard for them to get back to the UK and, for a while at least, sidesteps the issue of making them stateless.

I think that's something pretty much the entire country, for once, is united on. The question is how to keep them there. The trick the Yanks use is their no-fly list since they're so far away from the crazy places it makes it really tough for people on it to get back home. The UK could do something similar but it wouldn't stop the loons travelling back by land and sea. The passport trick is actually quite clever though since it appears that ISIS recruits have to burn theirs as part of the joining process. If the UK government refuses to issue them with new ones, without actually revoking their citizenship, then it makes it very hard for them to get back to the UK and, for a while at least, sidesteps the issue of making them stateless.

As already mentioned, some of these muppets went to Syria when the corporate press was full of stories of Assad's atrocities against noble freedom fighters and the British government was pressing hard to effectively provide the insurgents with air support.

Yes, I know the air strikes were going to be limited in scope, but that's exactly what they said about Libya before bombing it back to the 8th century.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that passports shouldn't be revoked but that Cameron, Hague, Gove et al's should be added to the list.

Fair's fair

What happened to the British citizens who fought for the Germans in WWII? There were some. There must have been an outcome after 1945?