House Price Crash Forum

Chocolate - Help For A Beginner

Ologhai Jones

HOLA441

When it comes to chocolate, I know I'm a heathen. I know that Dairy Milk doesn't count as chocolate (at least to chocolate connoisseurs), but--even if it's not chocolate--I know that, when I'm in the mood, I like it for whatever it is.

However, I would quite like to be able to try some 'real' chocolate. Can anyone recommend any brands or types that are fairly readily available that I can try so as to be able to say that I've given proper chocolate a go?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Green & Blacks is a good start - go to Sainsburys and try a few different bars. Saindburys own fair trade dark chocolate is also very good.

You can't beat the German discounters for quality chocolate. This is very good from Aldi - bargain price of course. £1.09.

Rp_Choceur_PD5_75f7db3ab6.jpg

This is also very good from Lidl - also bargain price. £1.05.

Czekolada-Hazelnut-Chocolate-Bellarom.jp

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Start with dark chocolate at around 70% coco solids and work your way up. Above 85% it'll likely be rather bitter for most ordinary mortals.

Put a single piece in your mouth and let it slowly melt rather than wolfing down half a bar in one go (difficult I know if you're a bloke).

Lidl or organic stuff for me. Try those with added chilli, or even sea salt.

Green & Blacks. Lindt are both widely available.

Booja Booja worth trying as well.

If it says Cadburys or Hersheys on it - stay well clear.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I'm just trying to find out what a chocolate connoisseur would say is 'good chocolate', to try to establish whether I like it or not.

The fact that I happen to like Dairy Milk is probably a red herring because, as I said in my OP, I'm happy to assume that, like it or not, DM isn't really chocolate.

In a sense, I want to go through the same process as I did some years ago with single malt whisky. I've never really liked whisky and someone told me that I ought to try some single malts before I dismiss it, i.e., what a whisky connoisseur would call 'good whisky'.

So, I spent an evening with a whisky lover exploring some single malts... and wasn't terribly enamoured with any of 'em. But at least I can say I gave it a try, and was able to establish that even good whisky isn't my thing.

I don't want to try any old chocolate, establish it wasn't that great, only for someone to say, well, you didn't try such-and-such, so what do you expect?

... I just need for someone to tell me what the 'such-and-such' is that I won't know if I like 'good chocolate' without having tried.

And, I may be mistaken, but I really would be surprised if Aldi's cheap-as-chips range is the proverbial dog's. I'm not sure Michel Roux, Jr. would recommend it somehow. ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

As per JTB- munch your way through Aldi and Lidl's premium offerings before you get too fancy/expensive. They are top quality

TBH as a chocolate philestine I like "dark" chocolate with 30-50% cocoa content for munching. I had a 2kg pile of Lidl's milk chocolate (which is still about 25-30% IIRC), bought on half price weekends when it was 17p per 100g bar, put away as part of my apocalypse stash. Made the mistake of showing my housemate where it was- first thing I knew of it was when he turned up with two more bars and reckoned they were replacements. Had a look under the stairs and the greedy ******* had munched the lot! :o:o

HOLA4423

Make sure you eat the chocolate when it is cold from the fridge.

Particularly true with oily sugary American style chocolate. I'm pretty sure Americans keep chocolate in the fridge and for that reason their chocolate is designed to taste best chilled (and awful at room temperature IMPO).

HOLA4424

I'm just trying to find out what a chocolate connoisseur would say is 'good chocolate', to try to establish whether I like it or not.

The fact that I happen to like Dairy Milk is probably a red herring because, as I said in my OP, I'm happy to assume that, like it or not, DM isn't really chocolate.

In a sense, I want to go through the same process as I did some years ago with single malt whisky. I've never really liked whisky and someone told me that I ought to try some single malts before I dismiss it, i.e., what a whisky connoisseur would call 'good whisky'.

So, I spent an evening with a whisky lover exploring some single malts... and wasn't terribly enamoured with any of 'em. But at least I can say I gave it a try, and was able to establish that even good whisky isn't my thing.

I don't want to try any old chocolate, establish it wasn't that great, only for someone to say, well, you didn't try such-and-such, so what do you expect?

... I just need for someone to tell me what the 'such-and-such' is that I won't know if I like 'good chocolate' without having tried.

And, I may be mistaken, but I really would be surprised if Aldi's cheap-as-chips range is the proverbial dog's. I'm not sure Michel Roux, Jr. would recommend it somehow. ;)

Well I don't regard myself as a chocolate or whiskey connoisseur but I do take your approach to life in trying things before I dismiss them. Whiskey mainstream or malt is a distant memory and discarded for me. Chocolate is something that I haven't discarded though.

I do like the best quality I can achieve in life. Regarding indulgence via chocolate. Nowadays I define that as something tasty to be really enjoyed and focused on in the moment . For me it has to be something with the least processing and additives that I can access.

When I'd given up Cadburys Dairymilk etc completely and went onto Green and Blacks occasionally I happened to discover Cocoa Mountain when I was up in the North West Of Scotland at Balnakiel where they are based. In the coffee shop you can get a nice coffee, which for me is freshly ground black, and buy samples of their handmade chocolates. I really enjoyed them and bought a box of 20 faves I always visit when I'm up there and send for a box now and again for a treat with good coffee. Only two or three chocolates at one indulgence which I really enjoy.

The chocolate I buy from Cocoa Mountain to me tastes lovely but it has a short shelf life because it has no preservatives and seems to be decent ingredients. So it ticks my boxes.

HOLA4425

Archived