House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Alternatives To Amazon For Books?

Of course, there are high-street bookshops, but I was wondering if there are any decent alternatives to Amazon these days if one wants to buy books (physical rather than 'e-')?

I'm pretty sure that at one time I used to know a handful of alternatives so I could compare prices (not just of books). In recent times, laziness stopped me doing that, and now I've forgotten what those alternatives were.

Anyone buy books online from anywhere else?

Of course, there are high-street bookshops, but I was wondering if there are any decent alternatives to Amazon these days if one wants to buy books (physical rather than 'e-')?

I'm pretty sure that at one time I used to know a handful of alternatives so I could compare prices (not just of books). In recent times, laziness stopped me doing that, and now I've forgotten what those alternatives were.

ABE Books used to be ok, haven't use them for a while.

I'd take the Housepricecrash skinteratti approach and order it from the local library for a small fee. At least you wont be stuck with the physical clutter afterwards and nine weeks to read it (usually allowing two renewals) You will also be doing your bit to crash the economy.

I'd take Housepricecrash skinteratti approach and order it from the local library for a small fee. At least you wont be stuck with the physical clutter afterwards and nine weeks to read it (usually allowing two renewals)

You mean after searching google for 'Book' and read online?

I'd take the Housepricecrash skinteratti approach and order it from the local library for a small fee. At least you wont be stuck with the physical clutter afterwards and nine weeks to read it (usually allowing two renewals) You will also be doing your bit to crash the economy.

I make good use of the library - I'm always amazed that it is free to the user (obviously paid for from taxes somewhere along the line). The Singapore libraries have a good online reservation system and you can keep the book for 7 weeks in total (if no one else has reserved it). Thinking of throwing the books I do have away soon, they are all yellowing slowly in this climate and I really will never realistically read them again.

A library is like a free all you can eat buffet for the brain.

Abebooks.co.uk

Huge database of 2nd hand bookshops. We have found all sorts there, inc. very old, long out of print books we had never thought we'd be able to find.

Also charity shops. Not much good if you want anything newly published, though.

Abebooks is good for sourcing hard to find print titles..... They do come at a premium though.

Usenet is handy for any new stuff ebook wise from my favourite authors. If I download something I like after about a dozen pages I go back to Amazon and spend the few £ to buy it....

Calibre is an excellent tool (open source and free) for managing a library of ebooks. It also has purchase functions from a wide number of online retailers and will suggest reading based on your likes.

http://calibre-ebook.com/about