House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Solve Crimes Yourself, Police Tell Victims

BBC website: Report on police: Victims 'asked to investigate crime themselves'.

Only last week, a friend of mine whose company has required the services of the police a couple of times over the last few months, made the comment that the police seemed to want him (and his company) to come up with evidence and do the legwork.

In the second incident, a truck was stolen from outside one of the company's depots. The police asked if they had any CCTV of the incident. The company found that one of their cameras had just caught the truck being driven away (and hence they knew the time of the incident), but as there were no faces visible, the police said, 'Well, in that case, sir, there's not much we can do...'

He was minded to say, 'Erm, how about some police work?' Or, 'What did the police do before there were CCTV cameras at all?'

He was thinking that perhaps, as the world's full of CCTV and traffic cameras these days, whether, given the approximate time of the theft was known, whether they could at least try to establish where the stolen vehicle had been taken. But anyway.

It's been like this for a while. In Southampton my niece had her handbag stolen. She traced her iPhone to a nearby address and told the police. They said they could do nothing - no evidence. Duh! Her phone illegally in the possession of some unknown party? Not evidence, apparently.

Edit to say: no wonder insurance is so expensive.

It's been like this for a while. In Southampton my niece had her handbag stolen. She traced her iPhone to a nearby address and told the police. They said they could do nothing - no evidence. Duh! Her phone illegally in the possession of some unknown party? Not evidence, apparently.

The police don't do "evidence" these days. Read the Yewtree report, it quite plainly states that there would be no attempt to look for evidence when chasing down ageing celebs.

I've reported forgery/fraud to them in the past. They wouldn't even give me a police number. Some months later the perp stitched up someone with influence, and the police had the dumb cheek to come back and ask me if I knew where he was.

Not fit for purpose, unless it's kettling and shooting innocent electricians.

I'm not surprised. The half of Hampshire force that isn't pursuing parents that disagree with doctors are hiding in bushes with laser speed traps.

I'm not surprised. The half of Hampshire force that isn't pursuing parents that disagree with doctors are hiding in bushes with laser speed traps.

Too true. And prosecuting motorists who do 31 in a 30 limit.

Should have just said she was walking past the address when they shouted racist abuse and took her handbag. Go big on mentioning the racist abuse then add they stole the handbag almost as an afterthought.

Too true. And prosecuting motorists who do 31 in a 30 limit.

Haha you say that, they did me about 15 years ago for doing 44 in that 40 limit as you head out of Fareham on the A27 Dual Carriageway a couple hundred metres before the M27.

It was very controversial with the locals as it was a rural area no footpaths and a dual carriageway. There was no possible safety explanation for it to be a 40 limit but it was a good earner.....

Someone chucked some rocks at a local Indian Temple a few months ago and the area was flooded with police. They went round knocking on doors and stationed a CCTV van outside the Temple. Clearly "racist" is the key word to use when complaining to the filth.

Someone chucked some rocks at a local Indian Temple a few months ago and the area was flooded with police. They went round knocking on doors and stationed a CCTV van outside the Temple. Clearly "racist" is the key word to use when complaining to the filth.

Tis indeed.

Two people on the same street suffering abuse from lads.

One gets a CCTV camera and heaps of support. The other nowt.

If someone does rock up to the police station with all the relevant details to prosecute in a minor crime, the police would get right on it? Surely they'd want to satisfy themselves the punter's work was correct, and that's what they can't be bothered doing in the first place.

Just leave the offenders corpse with the desk sargent.

In the paper this week there was a sad case of a man being sent to jail for killing the thug who mugged his student son. The scum of a judge said that people should not take the law into their own hands.

Haha you say that, they did me about 15 years ago for doing 44 in that 40 limit as you head out of Fareham on the A27 Dual Carriageway a couple hundred metres before the M27.

It was very controversial with the locals as it was a rural area no footpaths and a dual carriageway. There was no possible safety explanation for it to be a 40 limit but it was a good earner.....

I'm sure my sis got caught there a while back. But she was doing more than 44.

Judging by Rotherham even when the victim has all the evidence they still aren't interested.

Seems they are only interested if it's a celeb and they can organise a bit of air time on national TV.

Any crime that involves travel to a holiday destination in the Med, Iberia, Australia or the Caribbean to collect evidence is always popular with plod.

Cliff Richard's mistake was to have homes in Portugal and Barbados. Celebs who live in Skegness need never fear a visit from the police.

And what are the police doing? Playng Cluedo?

The police don't have enough resources to investigate loss of property. iPhones and televisions can be replaced. I think the police are probably prioritising the investigation of crimes involving violence or the threat of violence against a person.

The police don't have enough resources to investigate loss of property. iPhones and televisions can be replaced. I think the police are probably prioritising the investigation of crimes involving violence or the threat of violence against a person.

You've seen the pictures from Cardiff right?

They didn't need to 'investigate' my niece's stolen. Only arrest the thief, who had been found for them. But they couldn't manage it. :huh:

That's only true if the victim is a random person, try stealing a 10 quid CD from a large chain store and you will see at least a couple of squad cars turning up minutes after they have been called.

Let's face it, these days UK police only serves and protects corporations and the ultra-rich, everybody else is purely seen as a nuisance or a source of revenue.

Like jailing that guy who was filming in a cinema.