House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

End Of The Line

To me, this is the true awful reality of high housing costs:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28992233

Even if the house the guy was staying in was nice and well maintained, he'd still be living out his final days in a room in shared house with a bunch of people he doesn't know.

Is there any indication that he ever owned a house or lived somewhere better?

If he's in his 60s he's pretty sure to have encountered far worse in his youth. Though of course slumming it is physically easier when the body has the resilience of youth, and emotionally easier when your peer group are all in the same boat ...

Says he used to be a lorry driver. A sleeper cab looks nicer than that dump

None at all, but that's not really the point. Britain, as one of the richest countries on the planet, ought to be able to provide some basic dignity in a situation like this. Not so many years ago, he'd have been able to get a small flat of his own provided by the council. Now, even if he had the cash to get a private rental, he'd have no security of tenure. And before some idiot leftie starts spouting off about Thatcher and council houses, I'll say that we wouldn't be in this position now if Blair & Brown had allowed councils to start building again, hadn't let the world and his dog move to the UK regardless of consequences and hadn't absolutely destroyed the economy handing over most of the assets to bunch of shysters in the process.

The report says that one in three privately rented properties fails to meet the government's standards for a "decent" home - but what is like for those tenants who find themselves living in such a place.

I bet you £100 the government revises their standard for decent home down within 12 months.

I bet you £100 the government revises their standard for decent home down within 12 months.

I bet they don't do anything as they don't care.

If they did we would have had a compulsory licensing scheme for landlords by now.

I bet they don't do anything as they don't care.

If they did we would have had a compulsory licensing scheme for landlords by now.

You're right, they don't care (the Tories don't give a sh1t about you, with Labour it's personal), but that isn't really the point. Like I said, even if the place was in good condition it would still be awful. The problem is too few houses, not the lack of a licensing system.

It would be an awful situation at any age, but to end up there after four or five decades of hard work...

This is my nightmare. You have only a limited amount of time to escape the rental trap, or you're screwed all the way to the grave.

It would be an awful situation at any age, but to end up there after four or five decades of hard work...

This is my nightmare. You have only a limited amount of time to escape the rental trap, or you're screwed all the way to the grave.

Yes

This man seems to have been a normal hard working bloke. Done what was expected of him to pay his way and look where he has ended up due to a common life problem...unwanted ill health! Probably has never earned enough to live and build up financial resources for his future.

Loads of men and women like him all over the country. I personally know a 50ish single female with no family who has recently had a stroke. Always worked but low pay. After her stroke she had a period with no income for over 4 weeks. She's lost the use of her left side but has been sent home to fend for herself. £73 pw to live on and the job centre are saying just because she has a sick line that's no reason not to think about getting back to work. A medical assessment booklet has now arrived to be filled in but she's left handed and can't write.

It's disgusting that people who work and end up incapacitated through ill health are left in such dire straits just because they worked hard in a low paid job.

Yes

This man seems to have been a normal hard working bloke. Done what was expected of him to pay his way and look where he has ended up due to a common life problem...unwanted ill health! Probably has never earned enough to live and build up financial resources for his future.

Loads of men and women like him all over the country. I personally know a 50ish single female with no family who has recently had a stroke. Always worked but low pay. After her stroke she had a period with no income for over 4 weeks. She's lost the use of her left side but has been sent home to fend for herself. £73 pw to live on and the job centre are saying just because she has a sick line that's no reason not to think about getting back to work. A medical assessment booklet has now arrived to be filled in but she's left handed and can't write.

It's disgusting that people who work and end up incapacitated through ill health are left in such dire straits just because they worked hard in a low paid job.

Umm. Doesn't sound like he has a job. What's he hanging around London for. Council shouldn't pay rent to HMO landlords, if not in good condition. Guardian video I watch last night showed the Local Housing Authority under pressure (facing staff cutbacks too) finding people accommodation. Bidding system, chancer landlords, council paying out £84pn for a room. Why doesn't he go to Blackpool or something, where housing costs less?

You seem to project a lot into his circumstances. Photo probably on his son in the room. Divorce maybe? Pay your way, save for the future, make decisions, including it used to be, avoid reckless debt.

He's in his 60s. Had lots of opportunity - including when housing cost lot less to buy. Also to save. Too many people think other people should pay for other people - after any event they've chosen to take. He's still got some choices, it seems to me, to improve his situation - especially if he's put away to allow a small pension (errr another decision we can take).

My circumstances aren't great, thanks to 'victims' securing their futures with jumbo mortgages - and I'd like to see a crash.

Umm. Doesn't sound like he has a job. What's he hanging around London for. Council shouldn't pay rent to HMO landlords, if not in good condition. Guardian video I watch last night showed the Local Housing Authority under pressure (facing staff cutbacks too) finding people accommodation. Bidding system, chancer landlords, council paying out £84pn for a room. Why doesn't he go to Blackpool or something, where housing costs less?

You seem to project a lot into his circumstances. Photo probably on his son in the room. Divorce maybe? Pay your way, save for the future, make decisions, including it used to be, avoid reckless debt.

He's in his 60s. Had lots of opportunity - including when housing cost lot less to buy. Also to save. Too many people think other people should pay for other people - after any event they've chosen to take. He's still got some choices, it seems to me, to improve his situation - especially if he's put away to allow a small pension (errr another decision we can take).

My circumstances aren't great, thanks to 'victims' securing their futures with jumbo mortgages - and I'd like to see a crash.

You are right, the story is nonsense. Lorry drivers made decent money back in the day, and probably still do for long hours, he has had opportunity to buy for peanuts in his life, there is more to this than the article says. Remember, we are in DEFLATION, certain VI`s are going to cling to stories about things (especially property ) being expensive. Grab popcorn and watch the unwinding, it will be "interesting".

Clearly there is Guardian-style spin at play here since there always is (it's a BBC article), but that doesn't negate the underlying point. We, as a nation, should be able to provide dignity in old age for our citizens, regardless of why they've fallen on hard times, but, because of stupidly high housing costs, we cannot. That is what needs to get fixed.

Landlords can currently claim tax relief on the money they spend repairing and maintaining their houses and flats - the report suggests that landlords who join a recognised accreditation scheme should get similar concessions for making some physical improvements to them.

Whole story seems like a plot to give more jam to landlords!

Hard to say from the story if he is the undeserving poor who squandered his opportunities to buy as others suggest.

But I suspect few have enough of a buffer to cover ill health for the rest of their life. I suspect the journey towards living in a scummy HMO wasn't one that happened overnight.

Hard to say from the story if he is the undeserving poor who squandered his opportunities to buy as others suggest.

But I suspect few have enough of a buffer to cover ill health for the rest of their life. I suspect the journey towards living in a scummy HMO wasn't one that happened overnight.

If he's always lived in London as a bachelor then he probably never lived in anything else but a grotty HMO, nor had much chance to save!

My experience of London was of a supposedly-decent income, yet what was left after PAYE tax and after rent on a grotty HMO being about the level of the dole at the time (and with much higher costs than being on the dole, due to the cost of working). Not so much scope to save on that. And a man now in his 60s might already have been too old to get a mortgage when the '90s HPC presented an opportunity to others, especially if health issues threatened to cut his working life short.

This is a nightmare that I hope I never have to face in my older years, my father is in a similar boat but he does have family that help out and is lucky in that respect, the poor will always be exploited by others.

The shame is that despite all the obvious solutions to this problem, not one government has mentioned the mass building of council housing to elevate this disgusting state of affairs, I can only assume that the people farming rentier VI's are now so entrenched in government that it will take a huge popular movement that this country has not seen in generations before anything is actually done about housing in the UK.

In his situation I'd seriously consider leaving London though. Snag is area's of low housing demand have little or no job availability so you can't win.

You can demand all you want the 1% and the rentiers are in control and getting stronger. There is absolutely no need for any housing shortages / over priced property in UK. But the UK government are not unique as the same approach is taken in Australia et al.

they soon get upset if the public sector goes on strike, ie themselves....but nobody else notices.

The shame is that despite all the obvious solutions to this problem, not one government has mentioned the mass building of council housing to elevate this disgusting state of affairs, I can only assume that the people farming rentier VI's are now so entrenched in government that it will take a huge popular movement that this country has not seen in generations before anything is actually done about housing in the UK.

Cameron just pulled 3.5 Billion for armoured cars that could have built 35,000 3 bed semi's.

The government dish out 21 billion in housing benefits that could easily build 200,000 houses every year.

The government choose to have high house prices and a housing shortage. You only have to look at what action they have taken over the last 20 years.

Cameron just pulled 3.5 Billion for armoured cars that could have built 35,000 3 bed semi's.

The government dish out 21 billion in housing benefits that could easily build 200,000 houses every year.

The government choose to have high house prices and a housing shortage. You only have to look at what action they have taken over the last 20 years.

I am not so sure there is a housing shortage. High house prices might make it look like there is a shortage, but in reality it is just the easy credit and herd mentality that is pushing prices up.

I am not so sure there is a housing shortage. High house prices might make it look like there is a shortage, but in reality it is just the easy credit and herd mentality that is pushing prices up.

That's a great point. I would welcome a excess of property where there are thousands lying empty - it makes hoarding property pointless and would stabilise the property market.

If it was easy to get planning and build a nice house in the green areas that surround Cities and towns then prices within would drop like a stone are people relocated away from the dirty, over crowed cities.

Severely restricting supply in the burbs pushed up the cost in the center, they know this well.

I hear you, I do look around and one thing I don't see is tent cities full of homeless families, I have to reach a conclusion that the problem isn't solely of not enough housing, even though i think we can agree that council run housing solutions are desperately needed everywhere, but the illusion of a housing shortage brought about by easy credit enabling a certain subset of society to hoard housing and exploit those who are unable to obtain the means to house themselves adequately, all aided and abetted by a complicit political class that is clearly contemptuous of the people and irredeemably wicked in it's venality and greed.

The only question I have is why haven't we seen the mass protests and disorder required to shock the system into action? Most perplexing, it reminds me of a dystopic vision of jails where the doors are always unlocked but the inmates are far too institutionised and cowed by obedient servitude that they dare not walk to freedom..