House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stainless Sam

The Mucky Grey Swan - Coming In Less Than Two Weeks

The housing market is back on track to pre-crash lunacy, stock markets are wildly over valued and even the Moscow bourse is defying economic reality. China is sitting on (or under) a festering heap of debt with declining output and .... the list goes on.

I got thinking in the shower this morning that we need an unusual event to tip all this lot over and get prices of a 5 bed in Hampstead down to less than £400k. Scottish independence is going to be the mucky grey swan that clears the decks. The pound wobbled yesterday on the mere publishing of a poll, but when the jocks vote yet the dam will break.

For us, stock market falls and major disruptions to financial services as the big Edinburgh players hastily announce plans to decamp. In Europe it would seriously fan cessationist flames in Belgium and France and get the EU in all of a tizz. I doubt it will affect China immediately, but the decisions by rUK to stop promoting shortbread biscuits in twee tartan tins will eventually cause riots in the streets of Shanghai as supplies run out.

You can fill in the rest of the gaps yourself, but financial Armageddon is on the way. Vote YES boys!

Scotland would be better off joining the Euro.

The only reason that people are against the Euro is the sheer amount of propaganda in our media against it. People point to Greece, Ireland, Portugal and say look at what happened there 'it was the Euros fault' - Wrong!

Those countries were mismanaged and would still be in a state with their individual currencies being devalued and those countries experiencing high levels of inflation with ZERO productivity gain - exactly the same end result and remaining int he Euro.

As the UK has learnt, having your own means of exchange and printing it every time you get in trouble gets you nowhere. Collectively we are still worse off.

IMO Scotland would be better under the thieving gits of the EU than the thieving gits at westminster

Scotland would be better off joining the Euro.

The only reason that people are against the Euro is the sheer amount of propaganda in our media against it. People point to Greece, Ireland, Portugal and say look at what happened there 'it was the Euros fault' - Wrong!

Those countries were mismanaged and would still be in a state with their individual currencies being devalued and those countries experiencing high levels of inflation with ZERO productivity gain - exactly the same end result and remaining int he Euro.

As the UK has learnt, having your own means of exchange and printing it every time you get in trouble gets you nowhere. Collectively we are still worse off.

IMO Scotland would be better under the thieving gits of the EU than the thieving gits at westminster

While I agree that the Euro is stronger than the propaganda would have us believe, I disagree vehemently about the condition of the states you refer to.

Greece would have been far better off telling Merkel and Draghi to stuff it.

Something has to change, because if we stay on the course we're on and Westminster gets round to 'rebalancing the economy' then never mind London, a flat in Doncaster is going to be half a million pounds while wages stand still.

I've spent ten years working to try and get some modest piece of security for my life, with nothing to show for it as prices inflate faster than I can save. How can you be an adult when you're forced to live like a teenager, or a student? All my friends have delayed having children, partly due to their housing situation, and are now running out of time.

I really don't want to grow old as a serf to the bankers and the landlords, always beholden to my 'lord' with never any true independence or freedom.

Something has to change, and Scottish independence is one of the only chances left to vote for something different.

Something has to change, because if we stay on the course we're on and Westminster gets round to 'rebalancing the economy' then never mind London, a flat in Doncaster is going to be half a million pounds while wages stand still.

I've spent ten years working to try and get some modest piece of security for my life, with nothing to show for it as prices inflate faster than I can save. How can you be an adult when you're forced to live like a teenager, or a student? All my friends have delayed having children, partly due to their housing situation, and are now running out of time.

I really don't want to grow old as a serf to the bankers and the landlords, always beholden to my 'lord' with never any true independence or freedom.

Something has to change, and Scottish independence is one of the only chances left to vote for something different.

But an 'independent' Scotland, beholden to the bankers, will not be any different to Britain as it is now, and will be considerably more likely to bow to their wishes - just like an independent Ukraine.

But an 'independent' Scotland, beholden to the bankers, will not be any different to Britain as it is now, and will be considerably more likely to bow to their wishes - just like an independent Ukraine.

But it might not and he has sweet FA to lose if it does stay as bad.

If i was a sweaty id be voting for independence from the scum in Westminster, the ony ones with potentially anything to lose are those who work for the state.

Free from the westminster induced planning laws must be a huge step in the right direction. Would more than likely end up with a 'Scottish Tiger' economy and building boom as companies relocate from the UK to Scotland for tax reasons and relaxed planning permission allows construction to boom.

Free from the westminster induced planning laws must be a huge step in the right direction. Would more than likely end up with a 'Scottish Tiger' economy and building boom as companies relocate from the UK to Scotland for tax reasons and relaxed planning permission allows construction to boom.

Scottish planning law - controlled by Edinburgh since 1999 and even before - is more onerous and complex than anything in England or Wales!

The Irish had several decades of the Pund linked to the Pound, so no reason why the Scots can't do the same.

The advantage the Scots have is that their entire economy is not governed by one big mega-city called London - well, actually London currently does that, but independence will allow them to control their destiny.

But I still feel that the fear factor will produce a NO vote. but if it's very close, the rumpUK may have to send them on their way anyway...

Scottish planning law - controlled by Edinburgh since 1999 and even before - is more onerous and complex than anything in England or Wales!

Honestly - there is no point - so much ignorance on this subject. So many think that holyrood will move away from all the nonsense at Westminster. They will potentially be worse IMO.

Honestly - there is no point - so much ignorance on this subject. So many think that holyrood will move away from all the nonsense at Westminster. They will potentially be worse IMO.

I cannot understand why people don't realise that a Scottish parliament and government were established in 1999 - and even before that the Scottish Office was in many respects exercising a great deal of autonomy from London.

I disagree. I helped my Dad buy a bit of land and build a house. There wasn't anything too complex involved.

I cannot understand why people don't realise that a Scottish parliament and government were established in 1999 - and even before that the Scottish Office was in many respects exercising a great deal of autonomy from London.

Yes, and the quality of life for ordinary people in Scotland is much better than down here. They have an NHS and a higher education system that works. Houses are expensive (thanks Labour) but there is nothing like the insane London 'boom'.

Since 1999 the two countries have been on different paths - I don't know why you don't realise that.

To any Scottish posters on this site; this is your one and only chance to affect change in a meaningful way in Scotland and also the rest of the UK (perhaps even the world). If you vote NO at the referendum as far as I am concerned you have no right to be on this site any more moaning about high house prices as you were given the chance to perhaps make a change for the better but turned your nose up at it.

If there is a NO vote I will spend my time on here reminding NO voters that they had a chance but passed it up.

Since then they have had x amount to spend every year and that's it. The thought of the holyrood parliament - suddenly realising they have 150 billion of debt - and an annual deficit of 15 billion pounds - and have to think up some way of coping with that - is frightening.

Yes, and the quality of life for ordinary people in Scotland is much better than down here. They have an NHS and a higher education system that works. Houses are expensive (thanks Labour) but there is nothing like the insane London 'boom'.

Since 1999 the two countries have been on different paths - I don't know why you don't realise that.

I agree Scotland is a better country to live in than any other country in the UK.

Since then they have had x amount to spend every year and that's it. The thought of the holyrood parliament - suddenly realising they have 150 billion of debt - and an annual deficit of 15 billion pounds - and have to think up some way of coping with that - is frightening.

So what your saying is that Scotland is incapable of managing it's own affairs and needs Westminster to look after it. Shameful.

Don't you listen ? What happens to the above when 15 billion pounds a year extra has to be found ? You really think those free bus passes - removal of tolls on bridges - shiny new schools - is gonna continue ?

So what your saying is that Scotland is incapable of managing it's own affairs and needs Westminster to look after it. Shameful.

What I am saying is I wouldn't trust either to look after 5p i gave them.

The difference is a larger country can get away with this to a far better extent. Now that isn't very fair - but its the truth.

What I am saying is I wouldn't trust either to look after 5p i gave them.

The difference is a larger country can get away with this to a far better extent. Now that isn't very fair - but its the truth.

So it is better for the UK to continue getting more and more into debt to maintain our standard of living than it is for Scotland to go it's own way, take on it's responsibilities and stand on our own two feet, richer or poorer.

Sounds to me it is you who would rather remain on the teat of Westminster.

Who pays for that? Genuine question.