House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Al-Qaeda Officially Dead?

Watched BBC news this morning and they had a "security expert" on discussing the recent beheading and he said al-Qaeda is a shadow of it's former self and sort of indicating it's dead.

Al-Qaeda is dead long live IS?

Watched BBC news this morning and they had a "security expert" on discussing the recent beheading and he said al-Qaeda is a shadow of it's former self and sort of indicating it's dead.

Al-Qaeda is dead long live IS?

Yes - just like the SDP died and became the Lib Dems.

Very dangerous to think like this I think. This is after all the group who is primarily focused on pulling off mass casualty attacks in 'homeland' locations. Quite a different focus to that of IS - think back to the train bombings in Madrid and London Underground and consider whether we should make that assumption.

There is always a need for a bogey man to keep people on the right path - and grateful.

Watching the BBC News propaganda with its IS Organigram made brought a wry smile.

“Oceania was at war with Eurasia: therefore Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia.”

Confused, you are meant to be.

Branding eh ........maybe its a global marketing ploy

Like the marathon /Snickers thing

I do wish they would settle on a name ..Is/ Isis /isl ?

Devalues the brand by confusion

There is always a need for a bogey man to keep people on the right path - and grateful.

Watching the BBC News propaganda with its IS Organigram made brought a wry smile.

Oceania was at war with Eurasia: therefore Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia.

Confused, you are meant to be.

I think it's also a theme in 1984 but I'm sure it is a deliberate brainwashing technique to keep changing the spellings and proununciations of these 'terror' organisation chimeras. Al quaeda had a variety of BBC variations, Taliban was also Taleban and ISIS is seemingly already being shortened to IS.

It's certainly an enormous red flag to treat anything allegedly uttered by them, or about them, with a great deal of suspicion and scepticism.

Like others, I'm sceptical. As we've seen with other groups, some never really die - even once a peace process is underway. Whether they are any of consequence is another matter.

It might be that working towards something in a massive group with a high profile i.e. an Islamic state (whatever that is) is more appealing than hiding in the shadows, being basically unknown and only railing against stuff, it is more appealing to young radical Islam believer and their leaders. Really they don't seem very much different from the group that used to be in charge of Afghanistan.

The only oddity is why the US et al isn't bombing them to smithereens. Presumably they are waiting for them to get big enough so they can justify a proper war.

What did Robin Cook say before he went hill-walking? Ah, I remember -

Al Quaeda == "the toilet", or the database held by the US secret services, not an actual organisation.

What did Robin Cook say before he went hill-walking? Ah, I remember -

Al Quaeda == "the toilet", or the database held by the US secret services, not an actual organisation.

Staggeringly it's just over nine years since he wrote that article, entitled 'The struggle against terrorism cannot be won by military means'.

Now today we have half of Wales on lockdown so political leaders and NATO can discuss how to most effectively squander more lives on the same nonsense. Despite it being a near repeat with something this time called ISIS astonishingly there's morons on The Mail site baying for other people's lives to be destroyed in this exercise in futility.

Here's the database quote

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jul/08/july7.development

Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians.

Weird how the IRA went with a name that actually meant something rather than somehow uncovering what the obscure British intelligence file name was and randomly using that.

IRA ----> Provisional IRA ------> Real IRA -----> No, really, I mean it this time, IRA.

Anyway, if there's no videos of Al whatsisname being beheaded I don't believe he's dead.

These things tend to be a reverse Ronseal where they're exactly the opposite of what they say on the tin. Example, 'People's Democratic Republic of Wherever' equals totalitarian state.

My guess would be by the time it got to the 'Real IRA' the whole thing was a completely intelligence controlled puppet operation. It's well documented that lower down the pecking order you get undercover police/special branch infiltrating things like environmental protest movements and not only that it transpires they're ringleaders whipping everyone involved up into taking direct action.

If you get something like that with Greenpeace occupying a power station I can only imagine it gets worse as you graduate from activism to outright terrorist organisations.

Its because a man in a suit discovered "al-qaeda" means "dirty asshole" in arabic.

I heard ISIL yesterday in the House of Commons...Im sure these politicians just make it all up as they got along...one, uninterested, hears another get it wrong and thinks its right.

Soon enough,it will be IZAL.....medicated of course.

If you get something like that with Greenpeace occupying a power station I can only imagine it gets worse as you graduate from activism to outright terrorist organisations.

Or it shows that they go for the easy targets.