House Price Crash Forum

The Urban Bully Boys... Cyclists

crashmonitor

HOLA441

Stop trying to skip around it. You are wrong - whether they are your dogs or not doesn't matter. You were having a go at cyclists for telling people to get their dogs on a leash on a cycle path. They are in the right - you are not. I have quoted you below just in case you are in any doubt.

PS - the inability to admit when wrong - is a sign of weakness and insecurity.

Okay, okay. You were right and I was wrong. Feel more secure now?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Okay, okay. You were right and I was wrong. Feel more secure now?

No - can I have a hug please :)

Seriously though - any dog is better on a leash when there are lots of bikes about. Never mind the highway code. For their own good apart from anything.

There are some that literally run at a bike when they see it - not ideal for anyone involved !!

HOLA444

Seriously though - any dog is better on a leash when there are lots of bikes about. Never mind the highway code. For their own good apart from anything.

There are some that literally run at a bike when they see it - not ideal for anyone involved !!

Most dogs are just fine with bikes, provided noone acts too dumb. The usual caveat to that is that a dog's master will call out to the dog, whose attention is then split and distracted (confused) just at the moment they should be paying attention.

Leads are a nightmare. A string across one's path is a hazard, and one that can arise out of a dog very sensibly getting out of the way when attached to some stupid string.

HOLA445

Most dogs are just fine with bikes, provided noone acts too dumb. The usual caveat to that is that a dog's master will call out to the dog, whose attention is then split and distracted (confused) just at the moment they should be paying attention.

Leads are a nightmare. A string across one's path is a hazard, and one that can arise out of a dog very sensibly getting out of the way when attached to some stupid string.

Hence why on a shared path a dog should be 'held on a short leash' :)

HOLA446

Just a small point about where pavements are split between cycle lanes and pedestrian lanes.

Now an angry cyclist will give you a schizophrenic outburst and a nice one will give you the proverbial head shake if you are in the wrong lane.

Two points for the lycra clad schizoid to consider.

(1) there is no set layout...the cycle lane may be on the outside or the inside ..they vary from street to street.

(2) when you join a lane from a park etc. there may not be the painted man or painted cycle for at least four hundred yards to indicate which is which...often the man/cycle has been obliterated by road works or faded completed.

So what is the confused pedestrian supposed to do....and don't say wait for a bicycle because they have special dispensation for both sides of the white lane.

HOLA447
HOLA448

It's worth repeating Jon Snow's excellent advice for cyclists regarding motorists: 'Assume they haven't seen you, or if they have, that they want to kill you.'

My own mantra, although not so pithy, is: 'If something is within the laws of physics, no matter how unlikely, stupid, or dangerous, ASSUME ANOTHER ROAD USER WILL DO IT.'

BTW I always thought pedestrians had right of way on any British road except motorways, although they were not allowed to cause an obstruction. I knew an old boy once who claimed this as his right, and used to cross the road anywhere he liked simply by putting up his arm to the traffic, policeman style. Mind you this was in the 1980s, I can't see that working now - he'd be flattened and I doubt the driver would even bother to stop.

HOLA449

Just a small point about where pavements are split between cycle lanes and pedestrian lanes.

Now an angry cyclist will give you a schizophrenic outburst and a nice one will give you the proverbial head shake if you are in the wrong lane.

Two points for the lycra clad schizoid to consider.

(1) there is no set layout...the cycle lane may be on the outside or the inside ..they vary from street to street.

(2) when you join a lane from a park etc. there may not be the painted man or painted cycle for at least four hundred yards to indicate which is which...often the man/cycle has been obliterated by road works or faded completed.

So what is the confused pedestrian supposed to do....and don't say wait for a bicycle because they have special dispensation for both sides of the white lane.

A good point, as the shared path near me uses the same bike/pedestrian split sign in both directions so you could get the impression you should be on different sides depending on direction of travel (No formal lanes are marked out however).

The problem is seen with cars too. Everyone familiar with a particular junction knows which lane to be in, but if it's your first time using it then applying a best guess to which lane to use can leave you making few friends or taking the wrong exit.

People just have little patience, particularly in towns, whether on two wheels or four.

If it is a case where previous markings are no longer useful, it ought to be possible to get them redone.

HOLA4410

A good point, as the shared path near me uses the same bike/pedestrian split sign in both directions so you could get the impression you should be on different sides depending on direction of travel (No formal lanes are marked out however).

The problem is seen with cars too. Everyone familiar with a particular junction knows which lane to be in, but if it's your first time using it then applying a best guess to which lane to use can leave you making few friends or taking the wrong exit.

People just have little patience, particularly in towns, whether on two wheels or four.

If it is a case where previous markings are no longer useful, it ought to be possible to get them redone.

Yep don't you just hate it when cars are covering lane markings... the ad used to say 'read the road'..... no chance in a new city. Courtesy required from those that know the lane discipline because not everybody does...it could be their first time.

HOLA4411

When people suggest that cyclist should have compulsory insurance the the reply is usually of the form:

" Cyclist seldom do any worthwhile damage so don't really need it."

"Cyclist are covered by their home insurance and don't need any additional cover."

Here is a result of a cyclist on cyclist:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclist-crash-school-administrator-police-wont-pursue-case-broken-leg-knee-replacement-9691890.html

The other one that really annoys me is the cyclist who says that the car owner should claim on his/her insurance when the cyclist has done damage. Why should the car owner/driver lose their NCB?

HOLA4412

When people suggest that cyclist should have compulsory insurance the the reply is usually of the form:

" Cyclist seldom do any worthwhile damage so don't really need it."

"Cyclist are covered by their home insurance and don't need any additional cover."

Here is a result of a cyclist on cyclist:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclist-crash-school-administrator-police-wont-pursue-case-broken-leg-knee-replacement-9691890.html

The other one that really annoys me is the cyclist who says that the car owner should claim on his/her insurance when the cyclist has done damage. Why should the car owner/driver lose their NCB?

In Germany almost everyone takes out third-party personal insurance to cover accidental damage to others. I remember they paid out when my wife accidentally scratched the neighbour's car with her bicycle. I've often wondered why we don't have it in the UK; the Germans seem to regard it as virtually essential. What would happen, they say, if you (or your child or dog) were to accidentally step in front of a car, causing it to crash while avoiding you and causing injury to the driver? How would you pay for their damage / medical bills / injury compensation? I've never been quite clear on that.

HOLA4413

In Germany almost everyone takes out third-party personal insurance to cover accidental damage to others. I remember they paid out when my wife accidentally scratched the neighbour's car with her bicycle. I've often wondered why we don't have it in the UK; the Germans seem to regard it as virtually essential. What would happen, they say, if you (or your child or dog) were to accidentally step in front of a car, causing it to crash while avoiding you and causing injury to the driver? How would you pay for their damage / medical bills / injury compensation? I've never been quite clear on that.

Tbh I would really like to have an insurance policy to cover my insurance policies and any unforseen issues as above ...I guess it wouldn't cost a lot. The trouble with the policies I have such as professional indemnity is there are probably compliance issues. Basically if you muck up you invalidate your insurance so it would be nice to have a third man behind the wicket keeper to save the assets going up in smoke.

HOLA4414

I thought somebody might be vaguely disturbed by the Michelle Obama photo - guess I'll have to start an 'Is Michelle Obama a man?" thread now.

Looks a bit high up to be a rude part!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

When my zipper folds a certain way it looks like I have a boner.

You are sticking a pair of rolled up socks down your trousers! Don't laugh, but I new a bloke that did! :blink:

HOLA4417

I agree. I saw a motorbike, 2 up, cross a give way junction because it was being chased by a barking collie. It hit the bread van coming from its right, took off to a height of 15 feet. One dead, one paralysed for life.

As I said, my poor greyhounds are rarely off the lead and only in a fully enclosed field.

E-hug coming up. OOOOO :)

HOLA4418

I agree. I saw a motorbike, 2 up, cross a give way junction because it was being chased by a barking collie. It hit the bread van coming from its right, took off to a height of 15 feet. One dead, one paralysed for life.

As I said, my poor greyhounds are rarely off the lead and only in a fully enclosed field.

E-hug coming up. OOOOO :)

Careful! He "would" you now? :blink:

I'm not sure why a Collie would chase a motorbike, unless the riders dressed up like sheep! One for the slightly more Welsh here!

On a brighter note, I was driving the leafy lanes of Surrey behind a pack of dirty looking bikers! Suddenly they stopped, and turned the engines off, oh, I couldn't see why! It was young kids on horses tryng to get across the road, to the field opposite! Sometimes I am glad to be a member (of the Human race)! :unsure:

HOLA4419

I'm not sure why a Collie would chase a motorbike, unless the riders dressed up like sheep! One for the slightly more Welsh here!

On a brighter note, I was driving the leafy lanes of Surrey behind a pack of dirty looking bikers! Suddenly they stopped, and turned the engines off, oh, I couldn't see why! It was young kids on horses tryng to get across the road, to the field opposite! Sometimes I am glad to be a member (of the Human race)! :unsure:

Did you shout "GET A F****** MOVE ON, YOU C****S!!!"? I always find that bikers like a little bit of playful joshing like that.

HOLA4420

Did you shout "GET A F****** MOVE ON, YOU C****S!!!"? I always find that bikers like a little bit of playful joshing like that.

That's what I was thinking! However there were twenty hefty blokes in front of me! :blink:

HOLA4421

I wouldn't. :)

You're human? I thought you were an offtopic bot!!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I ride everywhere. It's liberating. No bother with officialdom wanting licences, paperwork, or sobriety.

Of course there are nutters astride the saddle - but I'd always rather they were on a bike than behind the wheel of a tonne or two or metal at 50 mph.

HOLA4425

I find, in London at least, that the most aggressive and self righteous cyclists are green types who think they're doing the whole world a massive favour by cycling instead of driving. Therefore they see no reason not to inconvenience car drivers, who they see as morally inferior to themselves. It doesn't seem to occur to them that a whole queue of traffic trundling along in second gear at 15mph behind them will actually result in a net increase in CO2 emissions. People who just want to get to and from work in a reasonable time while saving the cost of the train fare are more likely to just get on with it, unless they're straying into MAMIL territory and see every commute as a training run.

I'm not a particularly regular cyclist at the moment, though I do plan on getting out more, especially now I've got a working bike computer, and Strava, which makes everything a lot more fun! I also drive a car and ride a motorbike. In suburban London I'd say car drivers are the most likely to wind me up- though when I once had to rescue a bus from Stockwell and drive it along one of the cycle superhighways during rush hour I found it a thoroughly stressful experience thanks to the behaviour of a lot of cyclists. I suppose if I was still a bus driver and drove the route regularly I'd probably get used to it.

Archived