House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geezer466

Housing Experts Call For Clampdown On Rogue Landlords

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28993899

Housing experts have called for minimum standards to be better enforced in the private rental market to stop landlords exploiting vulnerable tenants.

The Chartered Institute of Housing and the Resolution Foundation said rogue landlords must face stricter sanctions.

In a report, they also called for tax incentives for those performing well to encourage them to reinvest profits from rents in improving their properties.

Question is will there be any will within Government to crack down on the slumlords?

Tax incentives on repair and re-investment are of course conditional on whether the LL pays any in the first place. Plenty of noise HMRC is cracking down but there as yet doesn't seem to be a rush for the exit for the amateurs who forgot about the tax obligations.

Just watching BBC breakfast and there's a bloke on there from ARLA staying landlords renting out hovels should be given grants to improve them! BBC presenters lapping it up.

Lunacy

Just watching BBC breakfast and there's a bloke on there from ARLA staying landlords renting out hovels should be given grants to improve them! BBC presenters lapping it up.

Lunacy

You couldn't make it up. Besides, I wouldn't mind betting that many hovel-LLs are operating on a cash only basis, no paperwork or bank-statement trail, let alone diligently entering income on their tax returns. And particularly if the immigration status of the tenants is at all suspect, they will not exactly be in a hurry to report them.

I heard there are at least 1400 tenants that are known to have been abused by rogue landlords, but Authorities turn a blind eye.

It's been a regular news item "call for" since the days of Rachman and likely well beyond.

Funny how those days are coming back

Unbelievable! Tax incentives for landlords to do a normal job. I've totally given up. I just wait now for the day when my turd reaches the election officials in my postal vote envelope. That's all that's left.

Unbelievable! Tax incentives for landlords to do a normal job. I've totally given up. I just wait now for the day when my turd reaches the election officials in my postal vote envelope. That's all that's left.

Can we also expect tax incentives for Bakers to bake better bread? Windows cleaners to clean better? etc.

The BBC report was the usual crap. It implied that it was a landlords responsibilty to clean a rented property! Scum bag tenants living in a filthy house, nothing new there.

I just caught the tail end of a re-run.

Lost for words really. Would even this government seriously consider rewarding slum landlords with "financial incentives to better maintain their properties"? All in the interest of the poor tenants of course :rolleyes:.

I also wonder how many btl landlords have the money for repairs. I'm sure maintenance costs where never mentioned in the seminars.

If they don't have the money to maintain their properties to the local authority minimum standards, they should be taken to court and heavily fined. Net result, they get repossessed.

If they don't have the money to maintain their properties to the local authority minimum standards, they should be taken to court and heavily fined. Net result, they get repossessed.

Paying them a tax rebate is open to A: a tax fraud and B: still no work being done.

The only thing criminals understand, for that is what they are, is a kick in the happysack.

I totally agree you shouldn't be a landlord unless you can afford to maintain the property.

I'm guessing that all these btl seminars just talked about the initial renovation and then for the next 25 years all you do sit and the tax free profit rolls in. Properties need regular maintenance and servicing, something I'm guessing some landlords don't do.

However the key to BTL as we all know is the property increases and in an insane market even a dump can fetch a premium in the right area.

Guest Jemmy Button

The only way to really tackle the problem of rogue landlords is to, essentially, tax the hell out of BTL scumlords...

Many of them have no profits to tax. They piled in on the expectation of capital gains since the yields make no sense financially. Many must be losing money hand over fist, in fact. They ought to be forced to sell up if they cannot maintain or improve their properties to minimum standards.

Imagine going to a car rental place and paying market hire rates for a saloon car, to be presented with a 1985 Sierra.

People would find it absurd, but it's not unusual to see the equivalent proposition in housing.

The root of the problem is (as usual) prices.

Edited by Joan of The Tower