House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Repeated Problems With Google

Keeps trying to go to secure connection (which I'm not requesting) and then secure connection fails.

Couldn't even use google maps.

On Firefox (noscript, pop-up blocker, adblocker) but not been a problem before. Might be my new machine and the add-ons that came with it but checking whether it's actually a problem with google.

I'm not getting this with other sites, just google.

Anybody else?

Keeps trying to go to secure connection (which I'm not requesting) and then secure connection fails.

On Firefox (noscript, pop-up blocker, adblocker) but not been a problem before. Might be my new machine and the add-ons that came with it but checking whether it's actually a problem with google.

Anybody else?

Why use google? Startpage doesn't stoe your data.

Why use google? Startpage doesn't stoe your data.

I would say "nothing to hide" but it's more that I can't see how my internet use and google searches would be of interest to anybody.

Google forces you to use a secure connection so that ISP's cannot snoop on the search queries and returned sites and sell that date to Google competitors.

In years gone by Bing was using data collected from IE users which included search term and the site the user clicked through too. These results then ended up in bing - a sneaky way of directly copying Google's search results.

Google forces you to use a secure connection so that ISP's cannot snoop on the search queries and returned sites and sell that date to Google competitors.

In years gone by Bing was using data collected from IE users which included search term and the site the user clicked through too. These results then ended up in bing - a sneaky way of directly copying Google's search results.

Ah, that may be getting to it.

I have somehow got a Bing search bar which is presumably interfering with it so will attempt to take it off.

I would say "nothing to hide" but it's more that I can't see how my internet use and google searches would be of interest to anybody.

Well, that's the case with me on the whole.

But imagine that out of interest you googled 'Nato meeting Celtic Manor,' and then subsequently something bad happened at the Summit, your internet search would become relevant. You might end up being rendered to some country by the US and waterboarded.

Extreme case perhaps, but innocent acts can in the light of certain events be seen as suspicious.

Well, that's the case with me on the whole.

But imagine that out of interest you googled 'Nato meeting Celtic Manor,' and then subsequently something bad happened at the Summit, your internet search would become relevant. You might end up being rendered to some country by the US and waterboarded.

Extreme case perhaps, but innocent acts can in the light of certain events be seen as suspicious.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise!

But if any intelligence agency is tracking me then they will be tracking everybody and what a colossal waste of time and resources that would be.

I know Honecker's East Germany did it and so presumably does North Korea, but those are batsh1t mental rogue states that were happy to steadily to revert back to the stone age under the banner of communism.

Google is now working fine, thank you Fergus, I mean Wurzel :)

I wasn't suggesting otherwise!

But if any intelligence agency is tracking me then they will be tracking everybody and what a colossal waste of time and resources that would be.

I know Honecker's East Germany did it and so presumably does North Korea, but those are batsh1t mental rogue states that were happy to steadily to revert back to the stone age under the banner of communism.

Google is now working fine, thank you Fergus, I mean Wurzel :)

Last year IIRC - after the Boston false flag bombings - the FBI called at a house where a family had googled 'backpacks'. The FBI have real time access to Google, apparently.

The US and UK already fall into the category of worse than Honecker's Germany.

Last year IIRC - after the Boston false flag bombings - the FBI called at a house where a family had googled 'backpacks'. The FBI have real time access to Google, apparently.

The US and UK already fall into the category of worse than Honecker's Germany.

Not by my definition!

1 in 60 worked for the Stasi and higher than 1 in 4 were Stasi informers. People were grabbed off the streets and imprisoned for their views.

I think Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, and David Cameron are all useless if not dangerous idiots. Try saying / typing that about Honecker when he was in power.

They are tracking you and they are tracking you HTTPS or not.

Not by my definition!

1 in 60 worked for the Stasi and higher than 1 in 4 were Stasi informers. People were grabbed off the streets and imprisoned for their views.

all that tells us is the Stasi were very inefficient compared to GCHQ.

Anybody else?

I've never noticed it before, but yes, it does redirect to/load as https as do search results and maps.

It's all working here on PC, phone and iPad, haven't noticed any problems with it today but then I've not been using it constantly.

If the new machine has Norton AV software on it then it may not be surprising to find that nothing works properly.

Also, early editions of Internet Explorer 11 were useless, even now it's still fairly poor and crashes frequently but you could try updating the machine to pick up any hotfixes for that and then trying with that to see if the problem persists (points to problems with secure sites) or goes away (points to problems with Firefox).

Duck Duck Go.

Yes, I use that one! Begone pair of aquatic water fowl!!

Not by my definition!

I think Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, and David Cameron are all useless if not dangerous idiots. Try saying / typing that about Honecker when he was in power.

In my 20's I visited Romania with my new wife on a ski-ing trip high in the Carpathian mountains. Was well before the fall of the Berlin wall and the revolution which brought change across Eastern Europe.

There was an old cathode ray TV in the hotel room which I could never get to work. Baffled me as to why it was there in the first place. Clearly a back and white set it resembled something from the 1950's which overall was not surprising given the infrastructure of the Country was seriously lacking. Even the local draft beer was dispensed from the taps cloudy and warm forcing tourists to the front desk where they could purchase cans of Western beer with sterling notes or $.

Imagine my new wifes horror when a few years later it turned out Ciacesco (or whatever his name was) has placed covert listening/video recording devices in the TV sets in the Countries hotels!!

In my 20's I visited Romania with my new wife on a ski-ing trip high in the Carpathian mountains. Was well before the fall of the Berlin wall and the revolution which brought change across Eastern Europe.

There was an old cathode ray TV in the hotel room which I could never get to work. Baffled me as to why it was there in the first place. Clearly a back and white set it resembled something from the 1950's which overall was not surprising given the infrastructure of the Country was seriously lacking. Even the local draft beer was dispensed from the taps cloudy and warm forcing tourists to the front desk where they could purchase cans of Western beer with sterling notes or $.

Imagine my new wifes horror when a few years later it turned out Ciacesco (or whatever his name was) has placed covert listening/video recording devices in the TV sets in the Countries hotels!!

You mean you could already be internet stars!

Yes, precisely. Comments saying we live in a police state are ridiculous. We just don't.

You mean you could already be internet stars!

Yes, precisely. Comments saying we live in a police state are ridiculous. We just don't.

I was in the army at the the time so had to get permission to go (and undergo a debrief on return but that is another story).

We were only allowed to venture beyond the ski resort on organised coach trips with the official minder (and tour guide). Most of the time he sat there and kept stum but I noticed where we had paid for a meal on a night out he got a free one (obviously built into the cost we paid).

I took a snap of some soldiers with their AK47's stood around hands in pocket smoking. One of them saw the flash and boarded the coach. After much gesticulating and intervention by the bi lingual tour guide it transpired he wanted the camera, when the rifle came off his shoulder I decided the time for prevarication was over. I ended up palming the camera and giving him an unused cartridge of instamatic film so I was able to keep the shots. Still have them somewhere in a box in the loft.

For the next few days I was the hero of the coach trip and we had an automatic ice breaker when we all sat down to dinner....