House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snafu

Impressively Sh*t Days In The Office

Imagine you've just spotted an error with a pitch for new business - and it was your previous manager who made the pitch. And that the total service will now be 54% more expensive as opposed to 54% cheaper vs the old service.

And then you're 4 weeks before launch for a process that's been going for 12 months.

I wonder where the blame will land, is there a particular game plan I should follow here? I'll be guilty by association and probably shot as the bearer of bad news?

Always on a Friday.

So the project the client thinks is costing £46 is now costing them £154 vs. what they had before for £100?

In general you shouldn't kick problems up the chain until you've got alternative solutions for them to decide between. It sounds like this should have been known sooner by more people, so some blame sharing is in order? But you can't finesse this one; full disclosure internally first.

Squeaky bum time.

So the project the client thinks is costing £46 is now costing them £154 vs. what they had before for £100?

In general you shouldn't kick problems up the chain until you've got alternative solutions for them to decide between. It sounds like this should have been known sooner by more people, so some blame sharing is in order? But you can't finesse this one; full disclosure internally first.

Squeaky bum time.

Exactly that. I'm raising in the working group first. Really not looking forward to this. Hahaha

Everything is just so not my problem! I have no problem in the office, and I ****** off at four, even if there is a meeting I am scheduled to be invited to invited to at 16:30!

I found similar one time very soon after joining one company. Checked and double-checked my figures and then went to have a quiet word with my boss.

He did a few checks and confirmed that I was right and then had a word with the MD.

Rapid action was taken to limit the damage and I gained a lot of credit for firstly identifying the problem and then doing something about it discreetly so as to cause minimum embarrassment. As long as you're not the cause of the problem you can come up smiling on Tuesday.

Dear me, a reasoned response. In some organisations your manager would have a discrete word about the poor work you had done and get you fired as he had seen the problem after he had diligently checked your figures. So make sure it is known, discretely of course, that YOU discovered the problem.

The alternative is just to charge the customer more ... sorry that's just the renting business model.

...and then come up with a new scheme to reduce costs by 35%. It may be remarkably like the original process so should be easy to implement.

I found similar one time very soon after joining one company. Checked and double-checked my figures and then went to have a quiet word with my boss.

He did a few checks and confirmed that I was right and then had a word with the MD.

Rapid action was taken to limit the damage and I gained a lot of credit for firstly identifying the problem and then doing something about it discreetly so as to cause minimum embarrassment. As long as you're not the cause of the problem you can come up smiling on Tuesday.

I quite like Monday off, as after the weekend, I am fugged!

I quite like Monday off, as after the weekend, I am fugged!

I'm sorry Mr Pin, I'm marking you down as an "E" on the Withnail and I quote recognition test.

I'm sorry Mr Pin, I'm marking you down as an "E" on the Withnail and I quote recognition test.

What use is the Country!

Imagine you've just spotted an error with a pitch for new business - and it was your previous manager who made the pitch. And that the total service will now be 54% more expensive as opposed to 54% cheaper vs the old service.

And then you're 4 weeks before launch for a process that's been going for 12 months.

I wonder where the blame will land, is there a particular game plan I should follow here? I'll be guilty by association and probably shot as the bearer of bad news?

Always on a Friday.

Why do you think they left.

My wife is in a new role (new company) and the previous incumbent has left leaving her in a world of shit. Purchase orders weren't raised to the tune of £200,000 and deadlines have been missed by a country mile so nothing will get put into catalogues or go on tv. FSDUs won't get delivered to store in time and ultimately the bottom line will take a hit. She only has to keep the plates spinning until Tuesday then she can start looking for a new job (too busy right now).

I don't take "Mad Drugs" Mr "four warning points". I like the World, exactly as disappointing as it is! :o

Athough my GF got me a "Withnail" coat once, and I had never seen the film, so I did not know what they were laughing at! It was me! :wacko:

You lack ambition Pin......

I managed a year and a half off!

When I came back it was just as bad so no worries.

Yes, ambition has done nothing for me!

I don't take "Mad Drugs" Mr "four warning points". I like the World, exactly as disappointing as it is! :o

Athough my GF got me a "Withnail" coat once, and I had never seen the film, so I did not know what they were laughing at! It was me! :wacko:

Oh wow :o there was a cinematic re-release about 1997/8 and to coincide with this ?Burberry issued a limited edition of the Withnail coat. I wondered at the time who would buy one as it was clearly selected to look as insane as the character actually was.

Now I know :wacko:

Grow a pair and tell your boss - in front of as many people as possible - what a complete bell-end he is.

Been doing it throughout my career, and it always works.

And I am being deadly serious, and not my usual piss-taking self here Snaffy...

XYY

Oh wow :o there was a cinematic re-release about 1997/8 and to coincide with this ?Burberry issued a limited edition of the Withnail coat. I wondered at the time who would buy one as it was clearly selected to look as insane as the character actually was.

Now I know :wacko:

Not quite as meant! I had to watch the "Withnail" film with some friends! I had a big brown overcoat from my GF at the time! My friends's wife was amazed that Mr Grant could be nearly as horrible as me! I got the joke in the end and the booze never ran out!

Do you have any muslim friends who could do you a favour and pop by and 'accidentally' leave their rucksack in reception on the day of any crucial meeting?

Grow a pair and tell your boss - in front of as many people as possible - what a complete bell-end he is.

Been doing it throughout my career, and it always works.

And I am being deadly serious, and not my usual piss-taking self here Snaffy...

XYY

I spoke my mind sometimes, and was left looking at my P45! :blink:

Well some of the issues have been solved by moving the cost to us but also changing the process a lot but we are now just cost neutral. Going there next week. The client still has no idea of course - how is this you wonder?