House Price Crash Forum
kjw

Eu To Ban High-Energy Hair Dryers, Smartphones And Kettles

First they came for our hoovers... <_<

Quote: 'The European Union is considering pulling the plug on high-wattage hair dryers, lawn mowers and electric kettles in a follow up to its controversial ban on powerful vacuum cleaners.

The power of hairdryers could be reduced by as much as 30 per cent in order to be more eco-friendly, a draft study commissioned by Brussels suggests, threatening many of the models favoured by hairdressers and consumers for speedy blow-dries.

New proposals are expected next spring to outlaw dozens of household electrical devices that European officials regard as using too much electricity, as part of plans to meet EU targets on energy efficiency.

Current EU legislation covers televisions, washing machines, refrigerators and vacuum cleaners but not most smaller electrical appliances.

A study ordered by the European Commission, currently in draft form, has identified up to 30 electrical appliances including lawn mowers, smart phones and kettles that could be covered by the EU's Ecodesign directive outlawing high-wattage devices.' [more at link]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11061538/EU-to-ban-high-energy-hair-dryers-smartphones-and-kettles.html

This is always the way. Draconian measures always creep. Some people say there is no problem limiting the power of hoovers. However, once they do it once, they will do it many more times.

I cannot see the point of reducing the power of hair dryers as people will use a lower powered model for longer?

Not sure how modern gaming PC power supplies, computer processors (overclocked) and gfx cards will fit into this new regime.

A 1000w power supply on a PC is considered very big. They've just limited Hoovers to what 1300w. So unlikely no problem. Ive not seen a power supply over 1200w and if they limit them then I'm sure you can just daisy chain several.

I sort of got the vacuum cleaner regs.

Companies have been lazily upping the wattage rather than improving how that's translated into actual vacuuming for years because consumers associate a higher number with better performance (happens with speakers as well).

It's very rarely true of course. (If anyone actually cares, the best vacuum I've ever used was a 1300W Sebo. Dead nice. Well... for a vacuum like).

Edited by byron78

This is always the way. Draconian measures always creep. Some people say there is no problem limiting the power of hoovers. However, once they do it once, they will do it many more times.

I cannot see the point of reducing the power of hair dryers as people will use a lower powered model for longer?

And also wasting extra minutes of their life they can never claim back.

Companies have been lazily upping the wattage rather than improving how that's translated into actual vacuuming for years because consumers associate a higher number with better performance (happens with speakers as well).

It's very rarely true of course. (If anyone actually cares, the best vacuum I've ever used was a 1300W Sebo. Dead nice. Well... for a vacuum like).

Yes I saw some point on vaccum cleaners but legislating about kettles seems barking since the amount of energy required to raise a certain amount of water to boiling point will pretty much always be the same Edited by stormymonday_2011

Its like an American sports car thats got a 6 litre engine, but only produces 200 bhp. As long as it doesn't effect performance, and If it makes electrical equipment more efficient, its not necessarily a bad thing. I just think a lot on here hate being told what to do by the EU.

If you times that by tens of millions of vacuums (or whatever), then they do have a point, to a certain degree..

Edited by Dave Beans

Yes I saw some point on vaccum cleaners but legislating about kettles seems barking since the amount if energy required to raise a certain amount of water to boiling point will pretty much always be the same

You're clearly not cut out to be a meddling bureaucrat. The process of boiling water has the potential for months of fruitful study by experts.

For example, how much excess water is boiled by the average person when they make a cup of tea? What would be the impact of regulation to control this 'tea deficit'? Could designs be retrofitted to existing kettles that prevented overloading? How many people would it take to inspect and destroy non-compliant kettles?

These are all questions to which no sane person would want to know the answer, but to the bureaucrat they are pressing issues.

Underpowering all helps to wear out equipment faster so they need replacing earlier.

There's plenty of scope for limiting electrical garden equipment as well - lawnmowers and hedge trimmers etc. Use them a couple of times and the motors burn out then you have to replace them.

It all helps the "GDP".

If it's imported Chinese etc stuff and it wears out due to a law limiting the power then it'll be blamed on poor quality Chinese products. Most people won't realise it's due to the law.

Then there's all the domestic DIY stuff that they could downgrade - as if most DIY stuff isn't already underpowered unless you pay a small fortune for it.

Edited by billybong

Someone driving around in a luxury saloon paid for by YOU, telling YOU what hairdryer to use, what lightbulbs to use, what vaccum cleaner to use.

Twelve commissioners use the €80,000 and €150,000 Mercedes S-class, three use 7-series BMWs and 10 use Audi A8s. Out of the 29 vehicles in the commission car pool, just one is a hybrid model

Who is to decide what is for the 'greater good'? And what gives them the power to do so?

If it ultimately cuts the amount of fossil fuels burnt or the amount of nuclear energy created, isn't that a good thing?

There are some cases where they do have a point, some of the electric kettles sold in the US have a 'constant boil' setting - instead of boiling the water and turning off, they boil and keep boiling until you are ready - presumably so that you have time to walk around your huge american McMansion looking for a tea cup.

But I don't have any confidence in the EU to make sensible decisions about these things, I've seen how unelected committees make decisions.

Even if its for the greater good?

A poor argument to restrict liberty which leads to cans of worms, if you follow it to it's logical conclusion.

And even aside from that, look at the sort of creature which inhabits the upper echelons of the European Union. Guy Verhofstadt. Barroso. Kinnockio. Schulz. Cathy Ashton. Patten. The low grade bank clerk. Mandeslime, for gawds sake, Mandelslime! No, I definitely don't accept that these scumbags are in a position, moral or intellectual, to tell me what I have to do for my own good or the greater good.

There are some cases where they do have a point, some of the electric kettles sold in the US have a 'constant boil' setting - instead of boiling the water and turning off, they boil and keep boiling until you are ready - presumably so that you have time to walk around your huge american McMansion looking for a tea cup.

But I don't have any confidence in the EU to make sensible decisions about these things, I've seen how unelected committees make decisions.

Having read the document the concern about kettles seems to be about their durability not the power they use in boiling water. I think the concern is that so many of the products imported from China etc fail early in their lifelife which has a negative ecological impact both in terms of old kettles ending up as waste and in the excess energy required to manufacture their replacement. Some of the other products appear to have been listed merely because they never have been subjected to energy efficiency ratings.

I am a bit concerned about electric mowers though because in my experience if they are underpowered they simply burn out when cutting longish grass.

Having read the document the concern about kettles seems to be about their durability not the power they use in boiling water. I think the concern is that so many of the products imported from China etc fail early in their lifelife which has a negative ecological impact both in terms of old kettles ending up as waste and in the excess energy required to manufacture their replacement. Some of the other products appear to have been listed merely because they never have been subjected to energy efficiency ratings.

I am a bit concerned about electric mowers though because in my experience if they are underpowered they simply burn out when cutting longish grass.

The point is, hasn't the EU got anything better to do than ban everything? vitamins, herbal remedies, vaccum cleaners . . . Come on.

use a strimmer!