House Price Crash Forum
wherebee

Back From Blighty

So - been back in Hong Kong a couple of days after an extended stay in the UK. No Ebola contracted from flights and airports (although the incubation period means....), but some interesting anecdotals:

i) I noticed just how dirty London was compared to Hong Kong. I paid a parking ticket at Gatwick from a machine with press button keys that had blatently not been cleaned in months. In Hong Kong, lift buttons, rails, etc are cleaned hourly in some spots. Ebola was on my mind as an African family were ahead of me in the queue....

ii) Talked to an estate agent down near Eastbourne - we stayed with a relative who was going to rent out their place whilst they moved elsewhere for work; he was saying how the market had gone mental in the past six months, with people from London paying (in his view) 20% on the 2007 highs. He volunteered it was madness and that 'fly by night' agents were quoting higher and higher despite MMR meaning he could not see the sustainability (his words, not mine). He seemed resigned to the madness though, and that the owners ('older ones selling up') just went for the pound signs. The phrase "they won't give it away - in their own minds' was uttered...

iii) London seems to have become more of a world of white enclaves (Canary Wharf, City bits of West London) surrounded by unwashed hordes of immigrants. I drove through tooting and the general mix that was there when I lived there 15 years ago has gone - now all i saw was somalians and pakistanis. A startling change. I was talking to someone that lived and worked in Canary Wharf and he said when the riots kicked off a few years ago, he had seen startled neighbours living in the Wharf with Ferrari's realsing there was no safe way out to the countryside....

iv) The rage around the major parties was palpable. ISIS killers with brit passports, taxation, etc, all came up in conversation with friends and strangers alike - and 'a plague of both their houses' seemed to be overall view of labour and conservative. That said, many said UKIP was a buch of 'nutters' so they will probably vote for Dave or Dave again.

v) countryside was lovely as ever. If we could neutron bomb the cities, the UK would be amazing.

So - glad to visit family, but extra glad I don't have to live there any more. Props to all of you who put up with it.

Edited by wherebee

So - been back in Hong Kong a couple of days after an extended stay in the UK. No Ebola contracted from flights and airports (although the incubation period means....), but some interesting anecdotals:

i) I noticed just how dirty London was compared to Hong Kong. I paid a parking ticket at Gatwick from a machine with press button keys that had blatently not been cleaned in months. In Hong Kong, lift buttons, rails, etc are cleaned hourly in some spots. Ebola was on my mind as an African family were ahead of me in the queue....

ii) Talked to an estate agent down near Eastbourne - we stayed with a relative who was going to rent out their place whilst they moved elsewhere for work; he was saying how the market had gone mental in the past six months, with people from London paying (in his view) 20% on the 2007 highs. He volunteered it was madness and that 'fly by night' agents were quoting higher and higher despite MMR meaning he could not see the sustainability (his words, not mine). He seemed resigned to the madness though, and that the owners ('older ones selling up') just went for the pound signs. The phrase "they won't give it away - in their own minds' was uttered...

iii) London seems to have become more of a world of white enclaves (Canary Wharf, City bits of West London) surrounded by unwashed hordes of immigrants. I drove through tooting and the general mix that was there when I lived there 15 years ago has gone - now all i saw was somalians and pakistanis. A startling change. I was talking to someone that lived and worked in Canary Wharf and he said when the riots kicked off a few years ago, he had seen startled neighbours living in the Wharf with Ferrari's realsing there was no safe way out to the countryside....

iv) The rage around the major parties was palpable. ISIS killers with brit passports, taxation, etc, all came up in conversation with friends and strangers alike - and 'a plague of both their houses' seemed to be overall view of labour and conservative. That said, many said UKIP was a buch of 'nutters' so they will probably vote for Dave or Dave again.

v) countryside was lovely as ever. If we could neutron bomb the cities, the UK would be amazing.

So - glad to visit family, but extra glad I don't have to live there any more. Props to all of you who put up with it.

As regards (i) How are you feeling? Ebola takes a few days or more to exhibit symptoms.

Pretty much what foreign friends who come over say. They like the countryside, villages and market towns. The large cities, not so much.

All the European friends I know (not just Spanish contacts) rave about London - its shopping, theatres, museums etc. Of course in many cases they only know the holiday London, but it still appears a great draw for people working here. I try and tell them about places they should visit eg the south-west, Yorkshire etc but they tend to stick to the beautiful places back home (often because their family have a holiday home already)

iii) ... I was talking to someone that lived and worked in Canary Wharf and he said when the riots kicked off a few years ago, he had seen startled neighbours living in the Wharf with Ferrari's realsing there was no safe way out to the countryside....

DLR to Greenwich, run up the hill and grab a minicab from Mad Mike's Cab's to New Cross, get on next train to T-Wells (or the secret villages to the south). Sorted. You'd have to leave the Ferrari behind, granted.

Pretty much what foreign friends who come over say. They like the countryside, villages and market towns. The large cities, not so much.

Especially ones hosting NATO summits.

I for one am 'extra glad' you don't live here anymore too.

Immigration policy in this country is flawed and has been for many years, left unchecked by both Tory and Labour governments. It does indeed add to pressure on housing and because of the sensitive nature of the topic is rarely mentioned by mainstream media.

However, your post clearly shows you up for nothing more than a common racist. Oh I know, someone on the internet calling someone else a racist... shock horror! I'll list my objections...

' Ebola was on my mind as an African family were ahead of me in the queue'

Oh please. Do you know which part of the continent they hailed from? Is Ebola even an issue there? Do you think they would have been allowed to travel if they were ill? Classic demonising of the other based on no facts, just a racial observation.

'London seems to have become more of a world of white enclaves (Canary Wharf, City bits of West London) surrounded by unwashed hordes of immigrants'

I don't suppose I have to explain what is so hateful about this comment do I? Unwashed hordes? By preceding this by describing 'white enclaves' your comment suggests that all the immigrants are of the non-white variety, which as we can see from various news reports today is most likely not the case as EU citizens accounted for two-thirds of the increase in net migration. EU citizens last I checked where in the majority, white. Your language dehumanises these 'immigrants', there is a direct connection between language being used in the public sphere and the legitimisation of racial hierarchy, subordination and violence.

' I drove through tooting and the general mix that was there when I lived there 15 years ago has gone - now all i saw was somalians and pakistanis. A startling change'

Laughable! The only startling change going on in Tooting at the moment is that of rapid gentrification! A 2 million pound refurb of the youngs pub 'The Castle'. An 'Antic' gastro pub, 'Honest Burger' (Hipster heaven! You can also find them in Soho, Camden & Portebello) and a 'Chicken Shop' (Note 'Chicken Shop' is owned by Soho House, we're not talking £1.99 chicken & chips specials & gangland stabbings here).

The truth is you don't just see Somalians and Pakistanis. In fact you're more likely to see white upper middle class 25-45 years olds discussing how much their 2 up 2 downs have appreciated over £12 cocktails.

I have lurked on this website for about a year now, it has been informative and opened my relatively young (28) non-homeowner eyes to the realities and risks present in today's housing market. However it is a shame that people like you do crop up from time to time, littering your posts with racist, ill-informed drivel. It is alienating, it is boring and it detracts from the main purpose of this sight.

Thank the lord you didn't have the back bone to stick around in this country, I only hope the residents of Hong Kong have a more accepting attitude to immigrants than you.

Immigration policy in this country is flawed and has been for many years, left unchecked by both Tory and Labour governments. It does indeed add to pressure on housing and because of the sensitive nature of the topic is rarely mentioned by mainstream media.

However, your post clearly shows you up for nothing more than a common racist. Oh I know, someone on the internet calling someone else a racist... shock horror! I'll list my objections...

Oh please. Do you know which part of the continent they hailed from? Is Ebola even an issue there? Do you think they would have been allowed to travel if they were ill? Classic demonising of the other based on no facts, just a racial observation.

'London seems to have become more of a world of white enclaves (Canary Wharf, City bits of West London) surrounded by unwashed hordes of immigrants'

I don't suppose I have to explain what is so hateful about this comment do I? Unwashed hordes? By preceding this by describing 'white enclaves' your comment suggests that all the immigrants are of the non-white variety, which as we can see from various news reports today is most likely not the case as EU citizens accounted for two-thirds of the increase in net migration. EU citizens last I checked where in the majority, white. Your language dehumanises these 'immigrants', there is a direct connection between language being used in the public sphere and the legitimisation of racial hierarchy, subordination and violence.

' I drove through tooting and the general mix that was there when I lived there 15 years ago has gone - now all i saw was somalians and pakistanis. A startling change'

Laughable! The only startling change going on in Tooting at the moment is that of rapid gentrification! A 2 million pound refurb of the youngs pub 'The Castle'. An 'Antic' gastro pub, 'Honest Burger' (Hipster heaven! You can also find them in Soho, Camden & Portebello) and a 'Chicken Shop' (Note 'Chicken Shop' is owned by Soho House, we're not talking £1.99 chicken & chips specials & gangland stabbings here).

The truth is you don't just see Somalians and Pakistanis. In fact you're more likely to see white upper middle class 25-45 years olds discussing how much their 2 up 2 downs have appreciated over £12 cocktails.

I have lurked on this website for about a year now, it has been informative and opened my relatively young (28) non-homeowner eyes to the realities and risks present in today's housing market. However it is a shame that people like you do crop up from time to time, littering your posts with racist, ill-informed drivel. It is alienating, it is boring and it detracts from the main purpose of this sight.

Thank the lord you didn't have the back bone to stick around in this country, I only hope the residents of Hong Kong have a more accepting attitude to immigrants than you.

Doubt its much of an issue there (or would be here) given a grand total of, ooh, about 2% of the population of HK are not of east Asian stock...wonder why that is?

Doubt its much of an issue there (or would be here) given a grand total of, ooh, about 2% of the population of HK are not of east Asian stock...wonder why that is?

An immigrant is an immigrant. When I was in Hong Kong it was funny to hear the natives laughing about the pungent 'milky' smell white westerners had. Quite unpleasant by all accounts...

That was one hell of a decloak!

Actually, it did make me laugh the other day when a black lady on London Tonight was complaining about gentrification in Hackney pushing out the 'people already here'.

There's some odd shifts going on in London.

I thought they were an African family as they were speaking a mix of Youruba and English. My cousin married a Nigerian, so I recognised the tonals. Probably not racist to deduct they were African, y'know.

Nigeria is a known Ebola locus. People are already leaving the country due to fear it will spread. Some may be carriers. You can catch it from sweat. A small chance is not no chance. It is not racist to make logical conclusions - and I was criticising the cleaning routines of Gatwick airports, not the family. Are you related to Millie Tant?

I was in Tooting Broadway. The street mix has clearly changed. Maybe you like political positions rather than reality? There were virtually no Somalias in TB when I was there. Somalians commit higher levels of crime than, say, French immigrants. The fact I saw a lot on the streets at mid afternoon on a weekday tells me something - what does it tell you?

Canary Wharf was hideously white. It stood out for me as a work in multi-ethnic offices around the world - was startling in it's contrast to offices in NY, Europe, and Asia. If you couldn't sense my criticism of that, take your double left lens glasses off.

Unwashed masses - you got me on that one. No cultural habits affecting hygine exist, do they?

I could have written your rant when I was 28, too. Excepting the spelling mistakes. Then I travelled the world and realised how the indoctrination in my school and Uni years had blinded me to many of the truths of what was wrong with the UK. I hope you wake up one day, probably just in time to be shouted at one the internet by a bold youth who knows all the answers....

And finally - one of the reasons I love Hong Kong is no PC bullshite. You have to prove you are worth letting in and staying. You commit an offence, you are out. What's not to love?

An immigrant is an immigrant. When I was in Hong Kong it was funny to hear the natives laughing about the pungent 'milky' smell white westerners had. Quite unpleasant by all accounts...

An immigrant is an immigrant.

Millions of immigrants are millions of immigrants.

See the difference.

I know Tooting very well. It is true that you see many people on the streets in shoppping and mosque hours of Pakistani and Somali and other African origins, less and less actually live around Tooting Broadway though, they come up for the shopping around the market and for the mosques. You see many covered women when out around there in the daytime. Meanwhile, go down into the tube between 7 and 9am and you see it jam packed with the commuters who work City etc.the majority are white, not necessarily British though, a lot of Antipodeans around there and EU nationalities - it does say something about the divisions in London for sure. Also, go into pubs such as the Tramshed, Antelope, restaurants such as Tota, Chicken Shop, Honest Burgers, Ricks' Caf, Meza and again it is a middle class, majority white clientele.

I thought they were an African family as they were speaking a mix of Youruba and English. My cousin married a Nigerian, so I recognised the tonals. Probably not racist to deduct they were African, y'know.

Nigeria is a known Ebola locus. People are already leaving the country due to fear it will spread. Some may be carriers. You can catch it from sweat. A small chance is not no chance. It is not racist to make logical conclusions - and I was criticising the cleaning routines of Gatwick airports, not the family. Are you related to Millie Tant?

I was in Tooting Broadway. The street mix has clearly changed. Maybe you like political positions rather than reality? There were virtually no Somalias in TB when I was there. Somalians commit higher levels of crime than, say, French immigrants. The fact I saw a lot on the streets at mid afternoon on a weekday tells me something - what does it tell you?

Canary Wharf was hideously white. It stood out for me as a work in multi-ethnic offices around the world - was startling in it's contrast to offices in NY, Europe, and Asia. If you couldn't sense my criticism of that, take your double left lens glasses off.

Unwashed masses - you got me on that one. No cultural habits affecting hygine exist, do they?

I could have written your rant when I was 28, too. Excepting the spelling mistakes. Then I travelled the world and realised how the indoctrination in my school and Uni years had blinded me to many of the truths of what was wrong with the UK. I hope you wake up one day, probably just in time to be shouted at one the internet by a bold youth who knows all the answers....

And finally - one of the reasons I love Hong Kong is no PC bullshite. You have to prove you are worth letting in and staying. You commit an offence, you are out. What's not to love?

You're quite right - It is not racist to deduce someones ethnicity based on facts. None of which you supplied in your original post. Perhaps because it would detract from the tone you wished to set? The implied meaning? ( It's Yorùbá by the way as I notice you've resorted to the old 'attack the spelling' line of defence later in your reply ...http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spelling+nazi )

I live in Tooting, have done (excluding university and travelling) since birth. The street mix has changed you are correct. Its far more white and far more middle class than it ever has been. That's the reality and unlike you I'm not stating this as a negative, just as a fact.

Please do feel free to post links to the hard data supporting your claim that Somalian immigrants commit more crime than French immigrants. Even if true, how is it relevant? Crime statistics are notoriously unreliable and you haven't even bothered to make up an anecdote to support your claim. Seeing someone or a group of people on the street, whatever the time of day tells me precisely sod all. It tells you precisely sod all too. Without stopping each individual and inquiring about their reason for being on a street in the middle of a weekday afternoon you can draw zero conclusions based in fact. Perhaps they work shifts? Perhaps they have a genuine disability that prevents them from working? Perhaps they don't have the legal right to work here yet? Perhaps their job prospects are diminished as their CV's are overlooked for more 'English' sounding names? Perhaps they're just lazy benefit layabouts. Point is, you don't know.

Sensing your critical tone is by the by. I clearly pointed out it was your juxtaposition which caused the problem. My political leanings don't mean I'm blinkered. To object to bare faced racism is not the preserve of the 'loony left'.

I'm not really sure how you think your link to the 'National Academy of Dentistry' proves, well, anything. You quite clearly talked about 'unwashed hordes' and then followed up by name checking 'Somalians and Pakistanis'. If you didn't mean to draw a direct link then you should be more careful with how you write.

ly

An attack on my age - oh the horror! According to your profile you're 45, you're younger than my parents sonny. I don't claim to have any answers and the only indicator your age suggests over mine is that you'll die sooner...

I've picked on your post really just as an example. I've noticed a few too many 'bloody foreigner' posts on this site and it is a massive shame. It detracts from the serious issue at hand, that of unaffordable housing and the slightly sinister government & big business interventions in the market. We need more not less discussion in the mainstream media and general populous about topics raised and discussed on this site but posts like yours undermine the position and allow HPC to be written off as nonsense written by unpleasant people.

As I've already said there is no harm in discussing and mentioning the problems associated with immigration but you are not doing that.

Enjoy Hong Kong, again you're right. Its not a massively PC place, I visited and have friends and family living there. You might say its a haven from PC 'bullshite' others might say that's because its still struggling with its own racist demons. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/navjot-singh/hong-kong-racism_b_2346577.html

I've noticed a few too many 'bloody foreigner' posts on this site and it is a massive shame. It detracts from the serious issue at hand, that of unaffordable housing and the slightly sinister government & big business interventions in the market.

All of the above are not independent issues, hence why people bring them up in this forum.

All of the above are not independent issues, hence why people bring them up in this forum.

Big difference between bringing them up in a relevant context and a racist diatribe.

It's twats like kray86 that make me happier living outside the UK. I'm happier being a foreigner ironically.

If often think the English will end up with the country they deserve.

Edited by honkydonkey

To be honest, Mr Newbiw, its people like you that are the bane of the interwebs. People that pick holes in things. Maybe he was being racist, maybe not. An intelligent person would weigh the balance. You just had to let rip. I know who i'd rather see less off.

It's twats like kray86 that make me happier living outside the UK. I'm happier being a foreigner ironically.

If often think the English will end up with the country they deserve.

I do sometimes wonder why people who obviously dislike the UK are on this site at all.

If you don't want to live here, why are you bothered about UK house prices?

To use this website you need to remember that every other post will be borderline or outright racist. That way you can filter them and not let it stress you.

It is however, I admit, a shame.

Is the OP a racist?

No, he was just describing some areas of London. You should go check it out sometime.

You can't go branding everybody racist when they're just describing what they see. As for 'unwashed hordes', you should try walking into some of the shops in tower hamlets.

It's too easy to brand people racists these days when they're nothing of the sort.

Edited by honkydonkey

Well, I was going to send Kray86 a private message expressing my support for him/her, but it seems that HPC doesn't allow unestablished members to use private messages (I can understand why). So I'll say this in public instead. It's certainly true that there is a lot of good, useful and insightful commentary on house prices and wider financial issues on this site - but when it comes to social issues, the general tone is revolting (as Kray86 says, the OP here is just one example). Just because casual racism is accepted here (and elsewhere), that doesn't make it ok, and it doesn't mean most Brits think it's ok. It isn't, and they don't.