House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Clothing Error Causes Offence

theblaze.com: Clothing Retailer Yanks Shirt That Resembles Holocaust Prison Uniform.

Spanish clothing retailer Zara pulled a children’s T-shirt following a torrent of complaints that it looked strikingly similar to the striped prison uniforms Jewish concentration camp prisoners were forced to wear during the Holocaust... Several news sites reported that the shirt, which was also sold in Israel, was manufactured in Turkey, prompting the Jewish Press to interpret its sale as politically motivated. "To survivors of the Holocaust and their relatives and friends in Israel, that message is crystal clear."

Also, the BBC: Zara's 'Holocaust uniform' and other clothing errors.

So... justifiable offence taken due to insensitivity?

Read about that before. It doesn't remotely resemble holocaust prison uniforms - unless you are so easily offended your small brain can't tell the difference between horizontal and vertical stripes.

A link on from the BBC's article: time.com: Urban Outfitters Under Fire over ‘Holocaust T-Shirt’.

Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters is facing outcry from Jewish groups over a t-shirt critics say is an offensive reference to the Holocaust.
The yellow shirt features an embroidered, six-pointed star over the breast pocket, and bears unfortunate overtones of the yellow badge Jewish people were forced to wear under the Nazi regime.
Jewish people were forced to wear a yellow six-pointed star by the nazis; the garment bears a blue six-pointed star (I don't think it's relevant that the t-shirt is some shade of yellow, despite the article mentioning that). The photo is too small to see the detail, but does this mean that, in principle, any garment bearing a six-pointed star should be considered as potentially offensive to Jews?

A link on from the BBC's article: time.com: Urban Outfitters Under Fire over ‘Holocaust T-Shirt’.

Jewish people were forced to wear a yellow six-pointed star by the nazis; the garment bears a blue six-pointed star (I don't think it's relevant that the t-shirt is some shade of yellow, despite the article mentioning that). The photo is too small to see the detail, but does this mean that, in principle, any garment bearing a six-pointed star should be considered as potentially offensive to Jews?

from the retailers point of view, it is irrelevent.

Clearly they have some free advertising from this, but backlash could mean it loses many clients. They have little choice but to withdraw.

from the retailers point of view, it is irrelevent.

Clearly they have some free advertising from this, but backlash could mean it loses many clients. They have little choice but to withdraw.

They could sell loads in Gaza.

So... justifiable offence taken due to insensitivity?

No intent to offend, certainly not the first thing that would spring to mind upon seeing it for most people, so anyone who gets offended needs to bloody well sort themselves out. I've no time whatsoever for anyone who gets "offended" when there was clearly no intention to.

They could sell loads in Gaza.

that would be for the football team...the Gaza Strip?

This has been streaming down my facebook since last night. All sorts of normally normal people are outraged by it. I think it's quite nice and would probably buy it if I had someone small enough for it to fit.

I wonder how many of the 'offended' people buy their clothes from Hugo Boss.

Or take Aspirin or own an AEG washing machine.

Anyway despite the fact the clothing looks more like a matelots outfit than a concentration camp uniform and the branding is only vaguely similar to a Star of David I am sure the usual people will be queueing to board the outrage bus.