House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Bomb Found In Penalty Area

Here's one for HPC's many fans of Dorset football trivia...

I happened to look at the history of Portland United F.C. (nr. Weymouth), and found the following....

Grove Corner (home ground) remains a relatively modest venue, albeit one that still seems older than one that was created as recently as 1994, when the club was provided with a new home a couple of hundred yards down the road when the Crown decided it needed the land for mineral extraction.

The club duly moved into its new home in June but that winter, demolition of the old ground was almost completed rather more quickly than anticipated when an unexploded wartime bomb was found underneath the penalty area, and the entire island had to be evacuated whilst it was defused.

The bomb had only been there for fifty years... :o

I'm too pissed to post a link juvo - but I can state as a fact that my home-town club Hartlepool United had their pitch bombed by a Zeppelin in 1916.

They even tried - unsuccessfully - to sue the German government for compensation...!

Unfortunately, the pitch made a full recovery...

;)

XYY

I'm too pissed to post a link juvo - but I can state as a fact that my home-town club Hartlepool United had their pitch bombed by a Zeppelin in 1916.

They even tried - unsuccessfully - to sue the German government for compensation...!

Unfortunately, the pitch made a full recovery...

;)

XYY

Is it Hartlepool or Hartlepools? Hanging a monkey for being a spy is surely a highlight..

Is it Hartlepool or Hartlepools? Hanging a monkey for being a spy is surely a highlight..

At the time, it was Hartlepools as the two separate towns of Hartlepool and West Hartlepool didn't amalgamate until around 1967.

Monkey hanging is the preferred halftime entertainment, though you'll have to settle for a pork pie and a cup of Bovril these days...

;)

XYY

They find them every couple of months in germany, and have to evacuate (parts of) towns and defuse or explode them. There was a big one in Munich a couple of years ago. The security services got quite a bit of criticism, because the tried to muffle it with bales of straw, and ended up setting quite a few buildings on fire.

(Big bang. Don't listen with headphones)