House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stainless Sam

Some Advice Please On Dual Agency

Looking at several properties which have dual agency.

1. If I take the first look at one with a particular EA, do I have any obligation whatsoever as a buyer to deal entirely with them, or can I also low ball the other one?
  2. What if I originally ask them both for a brochure before viewing?
  3. What if I first saw the house with one EA, but they've now swapped and the price has fallen low enough to be worth an offer? Does the original get a look in?
  4. Finally, I'm interested in a house that has swapped EAs several times. The latest has one photo, no brochure, the previous was a terrific brochure with lots of info. What if I ask the now dumped agent for a brochure from the shredder pile?

Many thanks.

As a buyer you would not normally have signed any contract or agreement with any EA, and thus would be free to view or make offers via any EA who is advertising the property. Even if there are half a dozen of them.

Personally I would have no hesitation in asking for brochures from any agency that has them. I do not see that it puts you under any obligation to that particular EA. They may ask you to register with them and give a few details e.g. name and address if you want to view, but this is not a contract and still does not oblige you to deal exclusively with them.

If you are selling it is of course a different matter - you will have signed a contract stipulating percentages and single vs multiple agency etc.

Edited by Mrs Bear