House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

New Freeview P V R - Looking For Advice

We currently have an LCD TV that I'm pretty sure is just a TV (i.e., no Freeview capability or hard disk) and a ten-year-old Freeview receiver/PVR box that, as of this morning, seems like it may be dying.

So here I am, someone who knows nothin' about nothin' and probably in need of a new PVR.

Does anyone here have any advice about buying a replacement for the old Freeview PVR?

We currently have an LCD TV that I'm pretty sure is just a TV (i.e., no Freeview capability or hard disk) and a ten-year-old Freeview receiver/PVR box that, as of this morning, seems like it may be dying.

So here I am, someone who knows nothin' about nothin' and probably in need of a new PVR.

Does anyone here have any advice about buying a replacement for the old Freeview PVR?

Yes try Free cycle first. I've just given one away. People chop them in when they change TV providers and get a new box from the new provider. Not my case. Getting rid of mum's unwanted on now she's moved in with my sister.

Freesat version - http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/Humax_HDR-1000S_500GB?sh=12940bc0-d3b6-444b-885a-857a89f6ccd4

Freeview version - http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/Humax_HDR-2000T_500GB?sh=82ea2034-738a-47b6-91dd-238feb387bd2

I suppose it all depends on whether you currently have an aerial or a satellite dish on your house.

These come with a USB 2.0 and ethernet so you could, if you were so inclined connect them up to the internet via cable or wireless and then use them to access services such as iplayer, youtube. Not sure if Netflix is on them but they have Sky on there.

If you wished you could also then buy a Raspberry Pi media player and connect it up to it also I suspect.

Here is a review of one Humax model:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pvrs/1299979/humax-dtr-t1010/page/0/1

Freesat version - http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/Humax_HDR-1000S_500GB?sh=12940bc0-d3b6-444b-885a-857a89f6ccd4

Freeview version - http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/Humax_HDR-2000T_500GB?sh=82ea2034-738a-47b6-91dd-238feb387bd2

I suppose it all depends on whether you currently have an aerial or a satellite dish on your house.

These come with a USB 2.0 and ethernet so you could, if you were so inclined connect them up to the internet via cable or wireless and then use them to access services such as iplayer, youtube. Not sure if Netflix is on them but they have Sky on there.

If you wished you could also then buy a Raspberry Pi media player and connect it up to it also I suspect.

Humax are good. I've got a couple of Humax Freesat recording boxes, which I use at different locations and my daughter has a Humax Freeview recording box. All have been in use for a few years and have, so far, proved reliable.

Is this the one you're recommending (except 1TB)?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/digital-tv-services/freeview/humax-hdr-2000t-freeview-hd-recorder-1-tb-10022642-pdt.html

Excellent price. Better model all round - much bigger hard drive, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, twin tuners so you can record two programmes simultaneously or record one whilst watching another.

Oh, it also says that it has Netflix already built into it now as part of their Smart TV - i.e. BBC iplayer, Youtube, etc.

A few months ago people were complaining that Netflix was not part of this model yet so you know that this is a very up to date model and not some old stock.

That is very tempting indeed. You can buy that and then decide if you want to sign up to someone like Sky or Netflix or whatever the Amazon one is called this week. You also get BBC iplayer on there. I am tempted myself.

Don't forget though - this is a freeview box so it will only work with an aerial.

Oh, it also says that it has Netflix already built into it now as part of their Smart TV - i.e. BBC iplayer, Youtube, etc.

A few months ago people were complaining that Netflix was not part of this model yet so you know that this is a very up to date model and not some old stock.

That is very tempting indeed. You can buy that and then decide if you want to sign up to someone like Sky or Netflix or whatever the Amazon one is called this week. You also get BBC iplayer on there. I am tempted myself.

Don't forget though - this is a freeview box so it will only work with an aerial.

So basically... is that a 'yes'...? I'm such a dummy. :)

I just plug a coaxial style aerial wire into my existing PVR, so that's okay, right?

Also, this device looks like it can connect to a wireless router, although there are mixed messages about whether the dongle required for this is included or not. The Curry's 'view product details' seems to suggest it might be ('connects to the internet via the supplied WiFi adapter'), but one of the reviews says: 'No Humax WLNA stick included' by which I assumed 'Human WLAN' is meant.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: Something like this perhaps: http://www.satbuyer.co.uk/humax-usb-wlan-adapter-p195.html

Further edit: the Curry's info definitely says: 'Box contents' included 'WiFi adapter'. Is that the dongle?

I've been mulling this for a while too. Just been clearing out my old Freeview kit.

As far as i'm aware, only certain hardware manufacturers have ongoing deals with 4od etc. Samsung possibly?

I have a Sony Blue Ray that hooks up online with a Homeplug, and i can't get 4od on the bloody thing.

Annoying as I'm trying to catch up on the Inbetweeners at the moment.

I'd be looking for any new box to basically behave as a Smart TV now.

Saves buying a new telly for a start.

I just plug a coaxial style aerial wire into my existing PVR, so that's okay, right?

Also, this device looks like it can connect to a wireless router, although there are mixed messages about whether the dongle required for this is included or not. The Curry's 'view product details' seems to suggest it might be ('connects to the internet via the supplied WiFi adapter'), but one of the reviews says: 'No Humax WLNA stick included' by which I assumed 'Human WLAN' is meant.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: Something like this perhaps: http://www.satbuyer.co.uk/humax-usb-wlan-adapter-p195.html

Yes, go for it. I have not seen that spec so cheap before.

Yep, you just plug your aerial cable into the back of the box.

The specifications on the Currys page says that it comes with:

1. Wi Fi adapter - so, yes, it is in the box.

2. HDMI cable

3. CAT 5 Ethernet cable.

Bargain. The likes of Sony used to charge - not sure if they still do - silly sums for a USB Wi FI adapter to work with their boxes.

Thoughts?

Further edit: the Curry's info definitely says: 'Box contents' included 'WiFi adapter'. Is that the dongle?

I'd go for it, excellent spec and price. Currys say that a WiFi adaptor is included with the model they are offering.

I've been mulling this for a while too. Just been clearing out my old Freeview kit.

As far as i'm aware, only certain hardware manufacturers have ongoing deals with 4od etc. Samsung possibly?

I have a Sony Blue Ray that hooks up online with a Homeplug, and i can't get 4od on the bloody thing.

Sony have a lousy reputation of no longer supporting models after about 12 months old. I know numerous people who have bought PVRs from them or internet enabled TVs or Blu-Ray DVD players that came with certain VOD players such as BBC iplayer... and after a year Sony will simply refuse to update the VOD players...

So I know a chap who has an out of date BBC iplayer on his Blu-Ray and Sony will simply not update it. Ditto getting new VOD player services such as Netflix, etc.

It really is cr*p from Sony - they just don't seem to get it. Perhaps they have changed in the past year but I no longer check on their kit. They screwed me years ago also with a Vaio laptop that I bought - it came with a Nvidia card but Sony wrote its own bespoke driver for it, stopped supporting it after 12 months and the standard Nvidia driver would not install on it.

Samsung WERE the only manufacturer that "had it all"...Now TV has all the catchup, as does Panasonic, through Freetime...

Yes, go for it. I have not seen that spec so cheap before.

Yep, you just plug your aerial cable into the back of the box.

The specifications on the Currys page says that it comes with:

1. Wi Fi adapter - so, yes, it is in the box.

2. HDMI cable

3. CAT 5 Ethernet cable.

Bargain. The likes of Sony used to charge - not sure if they still do - silly sums for a USB Wi FI adapter to work with their boxes.

Hmm...I thought they DIDN'T come with it...

Hmm...I thought they DIDN'T come with it...

Nope, you get everything - from the Currys webpage:

Box contents - Humax HDR-2000T Freeview+ HD Recorder

- WiFi adapter

- Remote control

- Quick set up guide

- User manual

- Ethernet cable

- HDMI cable

- AAA batteries x 2

- Warranty registration

When you take into account how much you would pay for a wi fi dongle separately, CAT 5 cable, HDMI cable and how much a 1TB drive costs this thing is a bargain at the current price.

Currys clearly state that it does so they'll either have to issue a refund or supply one if it's missing.

I'd prefer Homeplugs / CAT 5 anyway...It would offer a much more stable connection.. I've got a Samsung Smart Wifi Blu Ray player, and its constantly dropping out..

I'd prefer Homeplugs / CAT 5 anyway...It would offer a much more stable connection.. I've got a Samsung Smart Wifi Blu Ray player, and its constantly dropping out..

Yes, if I was going to connect such a PVR to my router I would try and use a cable instead of wi-fi. However, if your PVR is too far away from your router at least you have option :)

I agree, but WiFi is convenient if it works reliably. I use an ethernet switch to connect my TV, BD player and PVR to the router via CAT 5.

Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to check the specs etc. It's jolly decent of you! :)

I've just ordered that PVR from Curry's to be collected from a local store tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've just connected my old PVR to my PC using USB to see if I can get any of the recorded programmes off it in order to watch them. (The sense in which the PVR has stopped worked is that, as of this morning, it's not responding to the remote at all, and it's only responding to the front panel--which offers a subset of what the remote offers in the way of functionality--once is about every 20 button presses. However, it does seem that the hard disk inside is intact and the transfer is working at painfully slow USB 2 speeds...)