House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Peroni Inflation

It seems that 12 bottles of Peroni in a case has now become 10 in the local supermarket.

Not sure over the price maybe the are charging less.

More hidden inflation. Still at least my house will be worth more. I'll cut a brick out and drink that.

Peroni is vastly overrated IMO one of the nicer lagers I'll agree but there's not a huge difference between the worst and the best so you might as well drink the cheap french stuff instead or go for a cask ale at two-thirds the cost.

I rather like Peroni.

But then, as has been pointed out a number of times, In various threads, I am no beer connoseuier.

As I rather like Budweiser and apparently that's a no-no.

Sainsbury had 18 big cans of that for £15 just recently.

Works for me since the bottle crate fills quickly and the dustbin men are only supposed to take the crate and not several piles of loose bottles too.

Well I like it but there isn't the range of flavour within lager that you have with real ale so I'm not prepared to pay a premium for it.

I find the Aldi / Lidl decent own brand lager (not the ultra cheapie stuff) as good a lager as any.

I find the Aldi / Lidl decent own brand lager (not the ultra cheapie stuff) as good a lager as any.

I bought a can of Lidl's own brand lager yesterday in a can to give it a try.

I don't normally buy beer in a can as I prefer the taste from a glass bottle but, for 87p or so, it was surprisingly good. Not brilliant but hard now to justify paying double or more for something else. I am told that they used to sell it in bottles but stopped.

Peroni is £4.15 a pint in one of my locals. And this is in the North East.

I was going to say, lots of beer price inflation in the pubs. Seeing lots of £4.50 or even £5 pints which is ridiculous compared to the supermarkets. I like it when people say, 'Ah, but pubs have wages, building costs, etc'. That's true to a point but buildings are sunk costs and minimum wages are low (utilities costs may be a fair argument). I ascribe it mainly to price gouging from the breweries.

The raw ingredients and shipping haven't gone up, but then you have the following:

SABMiller Director bonus

SABMiller Shareholders

Retail chain profits - shareholders (Tesco?)

Distributors profits

Glass bottle

Advertising

Packaging

Alcohol tax

VAT

Business rates

When you look into it each bottle of lager would have hundreds of people taking a cut. Even if the ingredients were free the beer would still cost almost as much!

I make a decent larger from a kit - costs around 55p per 500ml bottle. I prefer to make it as i'm not paying so much tax, just the VAT on the kit - the little man gets a much larger slice of the pie.

Well I like it but there isn't the range of flavour within lager that you have with real ale so I'm not prepared to pay a premium for it.

Is it German? I am reluctant to buy lager with "Brewed under licence in the UK" written on it!

Peroni is vastly overrated IMO one of the nicer lagers I'll agree but there's not a huge difference between the worst and the best so you might as well drink the cheap french stuff instead or go for a cask ale at two-thirds the cost.

I rather like it. I generally purchase a box of the 330ml bottles in my monthly Costco shop. I did once buy the larger size bottles by mistake, my head was more muzzy in the mornings after a couple of those than when I drank the smaller ones.

Peroni is fizzy piss.

That just about sums up my description of Peroni. My mate likes it and will order it wherever it is sold.

I just stick to real ale these days. :) Although if it has to be lager then I prefer Carlsberg or Budweiser.

That just about sums up my description of Peroni. My mate likes it and will order it wherever it is sold.

I just stick to real ale these days. :) Although if it has to be lager then I prefer Carlsberg or Budweiser.

Probably you don't really like lager! I prefer ale, but do like some lagers.

I see Peroni as the Stella of the 2010's! I guess it tastes ok, but it seems to be a lot more style over substance. Also that expensive beer could easily be screwed up by the pipes in the pub not being cleaned properly, to me there is quite a range of tastes between pubs. Personally I would rather drink out of a can / bottle for lager.

£4.15 in the North East is a bit expensive, how expensive are the other beers in that pub?

One cheap suggestion from me is GraffenWalder Pils from Lidl (something like 89p a can). It is at least as good as other premium lagers, and brewed in Germany not under license in the UK.

I see Peroni as the Stella of the 2010's! I guess it tastes ok, but it seems to be a lot more style over substance. Also that expensive beer could easily be screwed up by the pipes in the pub not being cleaned properly, to me there is quite a range of tastes between pubs. Personally I would rather drink out of a can / bottle for lager.

£4.15 in the North East is a bit expensive, how expensive are the other beers in that pub?

One cheap suggestion from me is GraffenWalder Pils from Lidl (something like 89p a can). It is at least as good as other premium lagers, and brewed in Germany not under license in the UK.

Fantastic! I should venture to Lidl! :blink:

I rather like it. I generally purchase a box of the 330ml bottles in my monthly Costco shop. I did once buy the larger size bottles by mistake, my head was more muzzy in the mornings after a couple of those than when I drank the smaller ones.

I liked it when Peroni cost £2.99 for four 330ml bottles. As the price ratcheted up I switched over to Aldi's 10x250ml stubs. Along with the theme of their adverts I liked this one but like that one too.

I see Peroni as the Stella of the 2010's!

I was down there tonight for the quiz (came second, again) and I paid 3.70 for a pint of some German lager they had on. It was shit.

Can't beat a bit of Graffenwalder! German lagers are usually a safe bet; Beck's is my go-to but you normally see only Vier on draught. The purity law helps with the hangover too.

Can't remember the taste of Peroni too much but it's drinkable. San Miguel seems a popular pub pint round my way, although I can't stand it. Perhaps the Mediterranean lagers are bang on trend, the sexy adverts probably don't hurt.