House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Plastic Rubbish Heaps At Sea Pose Bigger Threat To Earth Than Climate Change, Claims Ocean Expert

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/plastic-rubbish-heaps-at-sea-pose-bigger-threat-to-earth-than-climate-change-claims-ocean-expert-9692265.html

The world’s leading expert on the poisoning of the oceans said he was “utterly shocked” at the increase in plastic floating on the sea in the past five years and warned that it potentially posed a bigger threat to the planet than climate change.

Charles J Moore, a captain in the US merchant marine and founder of a leading Ocean research group, has just finished his first in-depth survey of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch – one of five major expanses of plastic drifting in the world’s oceans - since 2009.

“It’s choking our future in ways that most of us are barely aware,” said Captain Moore, who first caught sight of the patch in the North Pacific Ocean in 1997, while returning to southern California after the Los Angeles to Hawaii TransPacific yacht race.

He has since revisited the area with a team of scientists 10 times, noting an alarming increase in rubbish.

“Although it was my tenth voyage to the area, I was utterly shocked to see the enormous increase in the quantity of plastic waste since my last trip in 2009. Plastics of every description, from toothbrushes to tires to unidentifiable fragments too numerous to count floating for hundreds of miles without end,” Captain Moore wrote in a column in the New York Times.

“We even came upon a floating island bolstered by dozens of plastic buoys used in oyster aquaculture that had solid areas you could walk on,” he added.

Plastics are now one of the most common pollutants of ocean waters in the world. Pushed by winds, tides and currents, plastic particles form with other debris into large, swirling glue-like accumulation zones, known to oceanographers as "gyres", which comprise as much as 40 per cent of the planet’s ocean surface, said Captain Moore, who founded the Algalita Marine Research Institute in Long Beach, California.

Humans appear to be doing their best to feck up the planet and destroy the balance of the food chain.

It's obviously not a "good thing". but my turds are more dangerous! :o

It's obviously not a "good thing". but my turds are more dangerous! :o

So you go to all that trouble packing them up & posting them - and that renty blurk just flushes them down the bog...?

I always thought he shaped them into chess pieces, fired them in his poo-kiln and sold them in the Daily Mail classified section...

XYY

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/plastic-rubbish-heaps-at-sea-pose-bigger-threat-to-earth-than-climate-change-claims-ocean-expert-9692265.html

Humans appear to be doing their best to feck up the planet and destroy the balance of the food chain.

I think we've already fecked the planet and beyond repair.

All these man made chemicals aren't going to disappear. According to research by WWF we all have within us what's known as a body burden which is a mix of man made chemicals that our bodies can't get rid of.

Chemicals react. Maybe it depends on our own particular mix how we're affected by it?

Never mind the money's rolling in for the chemical industries. That's all that seems to matter.

Have you considered moving somewhere a bit sunnier?

No it's sunny enough here. We've had great weather for months. Plenty sunshine to get out in the countryside and just enough rain for the veg in the garden :)

List of mass die-offs for July and August 2014.

MASS ANIMAL DEATH LIST Event Summary for 2014 – 443 Known MASS Death Events in 66 Countries

24th August 2014 – 1,800 Penguins have washed up dead this year in Imbe, Brazil. Link

24th August 2014 – Massive fish kill in a reservoir in Toa Alta, Puerto Rico. Link

24th August 2014 – Hundreds of thousands of dead fish wash up again in Plymouth, England. Link

23th August 2014 – Thousands of dead fish appear in a river in Almeirim, Portugal. Link

21st August 2014 – Large fish kill found in a creek in Baltimore, America. Link

20th August 2014 – Astonishing numbers of dead Salmon washing up along Kobuk River, ‘never seen before’ in Alaska, America. Link

20th August 2014 – Hundreds of dead fish found floating on a lake in Arkansas, America. Link

20th August 2014 – Massive fish kill ‘due to manure spill’ affecting 20 MILES of river in Iowa, America. Link

19th August 2014 – 377 birds dead in wetland due to outbreak of disease in Gasteiz, Spain. Linkdead-birds-spain.jpg

19th August 2014 – Hundreds of dead fish appear at the mouth of Serpis River in Gandia, Spain. Link

18th August 2014 – Massive amount of dead fish wash ashore along the coast of Isle of Man. Link

16th August 2014 – Massive die off of Mussels is a ‘catastrophe’ in La Rochelle, France. Link

15th August 2014 – Thousands of dead fish blanketing Belle River in Canada. Link

15th August 2014 – 400+ Pelicans found dead along beaches in Huaura, Peru. Link

15th August 2014 – Thousands of fish wash up dead in Plymouth, England. Link

15th August 2014 – 30 TONS of fish have died in the lagoons of Alicante, Spain. Link

14th August 2014 – Large amount of dead fish found floating in a lake, worrying fishermen in Cienaga, Colombia. Link

14th August 2014 – Mass die off of fish occuring in the river Bakircay, Turkey. Link

14th August 2014 – Thousands of dead anchovies wash ashore in Foster City, California, America. Link

12th August 2014 – Thousands of poultry die suddenly due to avian flu in Martapura, Indonesia. Link

12th August 2014 – 400 TONS of fish die suddenly in Lake Maninjau, Indonesia. Link

12th August 2014 – 1000 dead fish found in a waterway in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Link

11th August 2014 – Hundreds of dead fish and crabs washing up at Jurien Bay, Australia. Link

11th August 2014 – Hundreds of dead fish show up in a lake in Minnesota, America. Link

9th August 2014 – 30 Turles found dead during past month on beaches in Salina Cruz, Mexico. Link

9th August 2014 – Thousands of fish have died in a lake in Northamptonshire, England. Link

9th August 2014 – Hundreds of chickens ‘die suddenly’ in Tanjung, Indonesia. Link

9th August 2014 – Large die off of fish found in a reservoir in Baisha, China. Link

9th August 2014 – 6 TONS of fish die in a pond in Diepenbeek, Belgium. Link

8th August 2014 – Mass Dolphin die off continues along east coast of America. Linkdolphin-die-off.jpg

8th August 2014 – Massive fish kill ‘due to algae’ in a lake in Kansas, America. Link

8th August 2014 – Thousands of dead fish wash up in Bursa, Turkey. Link

7th August 2014 – Thousands of dead fish found, ‘worst fish kill ever’ in a lagoon in Langley, Canada. Link

7th August 2014 – Thousands of fish killed ‘due to pollution’ in a river in Suffolk, England. Link

6th August 2014 – Large amount of dead fish found floating in a river in West Bangal, India. Link

6th August 2014 – Large fish kill found in the Kishwaukee River in Illinois, America. Link

6th August 2014 – Large die off of fish found off the coast of Taishan, China. Link

6th August 2014 – Thousands of dead fish found washed ashore is ‘a mystery’ in Miajadas, Spain. Link

6th August 2014 – Thousands of dead fish wash ashore in Puerto Rico, America. Link

4th August 2014 – UPDATE: 50,000 cattle dead due to drought in Colombia. Link

4th August 2014 – 126 Birds found dead on beaches in Lambayeque, Peru. Link

4th August 2014 – Hundreds of Spanish Sardines wash up dead along a beach in Alabama, America. Link

1st August 2014 – Hundreds of dead birds found in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, America. Link

1st August 2014 – Hundreds of Thousands of dead fish wash up in Santa Cruz harbor, California, America. Link

30th July 2014 – Tens of thousands of dead fish wash up along Necanicum River, Oregon, America. Linkdead-anchovies.jpg

29th July 2014 – Thousands of dead fish found floating in Chesapeake Bay, Virginia, America. Link

28th July 2014 – 650 TONS of farmed Salmon ‘suddenly die’ in Finnmark, Norway. Link

28th July 2014 – 42,000 ducks killed due to outbreak of Avian flu in South Jeolla, South Korea. Link

28th July 2014 – Thousands of Carp washing up dead in Horicon Marsh, Wisconsin, America. Link

28th July 2014 – Hundreds of dead fish removed from a reservoir in Singapore. Link

27th July 2014 – Thousands of fish, plus turtles and crabs dying due to red tide in the Gulf off Florida coast in America. Link

25th July 2014 – Thousands of dead fish found washed up on a beach in California, America. Link

24th July 2014 – 100 TONS of fish have died in the River Elbe, in Germany. Link

24th July 2014 – Mass fish deaths occuring along a river in Kastamonu, Turkey. Link

24th July 2014 – 1,400 dead fish found floating in a lake in Wimbledon, England. Link

23rd July 2014 – 15,000 cattle have died due to drought in various parts of Colombia. Link

23rd July 2014 – Millions of dead fish found floating on a lake in Texas, dead-cattle-colombia.jpgAmerica. Link

23rd July 2014 – TONS of fish dead from an oil spill along the Amazon River in Peru. Link

23rd July 2014 – Hundreds of fish and other marine life continue to wash up dead on beaches in Hawaii, America. Link

23rd July 2014 – Hundreds of dead fish found in a dock ‘is a mystery’, in Hull, England. Link

22nd July 2014 – 45 Cows killed by a single lightning strike in Montana, America. Link

22nd July 2014 – Dozens of water birds found dead in a lake in Manchester, England. Link

22nd July 2014 – 10,000 fish have died ‘due to drought’ in Giron, Colombia. Link

22nd July 2014 – Thousands of dead fish found in a river in the Jura Region, France. Link

19th July 2014 – 50 dead turtles found on a beach in Salinas del Marques, Mexico. Link

19th July 2014 – Thousands of dead fish wash up on a beach in California, America. Link

18th July 2014 – Large die off of fish found in a river in Oregon, America. Link

17th July 2014 – Thousands of dead fish wash up in a lake Wyndham Lake in Virginia, America. Link

17th July 2014 – Large die off of fish in a lake in Haikou, China. Link

16th July 2014 – 12 Turtles found dead, 59 Since November, ‘a mystery’ at Misery Bay, Canada. Link

15th July 2014 – 70 sharks found washed up dead along a beach in the Gower, Wales. Link

15th July 2014 – 10 TONS+ of farmed fish found dead in Danga Bay, Malaysia. Link

15th July 2014 – 1,000+ dead fish found in a creek in Taipei City, Taiwan. Link

14th July 2014 – Thousands of fish dying off in a ‘degrading river system’ in Durban, South Africa. Link

13th July 2014 – Hundreds of dead fish wash ashore along a river in Yaglidere, Turkey. Link

12th July 2014 – Dozens of Tons of dead fish appear along Jinsha river and Reservoir in Western China. Link

10th July 2014 – Masses of dead fish found along 2km of shoreline in Guangxi, China. Link

9th July 2014 – Thousands of dead fish wash ashore, ‘never seen before’ in Oahu, Hawaii, America. Link

8th July 2014 – Hundreds of thousands of fish killed by ‘new virus’ during past year along coast of Sweden. Link

8th July 2014 – Large amount of dead fish wash ashore along the coast of Surat, India. Linkdead-whales-ireland.jpg

8th July 2014 – 13 whales die after stranding on a beach in County Donegal, Ireland. Link

7th July 2014 – 90,000 Farmed atlantic salmon killed due to disease in Norland, Norway. Link

7th July 2014 – Thousands of dead fish wash up in a pond in Terzialan, Turkey. Link

4th July 2014 – Hundreds of birds dead from avian flu in Wonogiri, Indonesia. Link

4th July 2014 – Thousands of oysters and clams wash up dead on beaches in Karachi, Pakistan. Link

4th July 2014 – Hundreds of dead birds found on beach after storm at Lake Winnipeg in Canada. Link

4th July 2014 – Hundreds of dead fish wash up along a beach in Hawaii, America. Link

3rd July 2014 – 10,000 dead fish ‘is a mystery’ in a lake in Tyrone, Ireland. Link

1st July 2014 – Large number of dead fish wash up along miles of beach in Florida, America. Link

http://beforeitsnews.com/environment/2014/08/fukushima-more-mass-animal-death-list-so-far-for-2014-and-your-next-2507954.html

Proves nowt that list of yours like crashy.

I mean there's millions of people living and polluting in a massive place like Birmingham - and yet not one dead fish washed up there all year...!

;)

XYY

Proves nowt that list of yours like crashy.

I mean there's millions of people living and polluting in a massive place like Birmingham - and yet not one dead fish washed up there all year...!

;)

XYY

The proximity of the Sea might be an issue here!

The proximity of the Sea might be an issue here!

Pinny, you of all people.

It's in the Viz! letters page style man...!

I thought the smiley, winkie emoticon thing showed I was being piss-takey.

You need to move back up here for a refresher course mate...

XYY

I think that sea fish depend upon being within the proximity of the sea.

The Australian outback is only proximate to the sea if you are looking from the Moon.

I wish I'd never started this - these two'll argue all friggin' night...!

I'm off to bed lads, and if Birmingham isn't near the sea, why was the top prize on Central TV's 'Bullseye' a boat then...?

;)

XYY

So you go to all that trouble packing them up & posting them - and that renty blurk just flushes them down the bog...?

I always thought he shaped them into chess pieces, fired them in his poo-kiln and sold them in the Daily Mail classified section...

XYY

Only a Guardian reader would buy that! :blink:

I wish I'd never started this - these two'll argue all friggin' night...!

I'm off to bed lads, and if Birmingham isn't near the sea, why was the top prize on Central TV's 'Bullseye' a boat then...?

;)

XYY

I could never work out why two "BLURKS" mind! No innuendo there, at all! :wacko:

Were delighted in winning a boat, despite living three stories up, in Wolverhampton!

so we could house millions turning the plastic into Ubuntu Blox

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/200390-rebel-architecture-ubuntu-blox/?hl=ubuntu

Yes, I've thought for a while that the plastic should be used and find the recycling of it into homes interesting.

There's a local company that makes park benches, picnic tables etc out of recycled plastic. They're not cheap but you'd only have to buy one as they are really solid and robust and the ones I've been sitting on for years when out and about look as good as when they were new. Low to no maintenance.

I'm sure that there are lots of other items that can be made from recycling plastic instead of it floating in the ocean!