House Price Crash Forum

Time To End The Notting Hill Carnival?

thecrashingisles

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28925915

Three men were stabbed and two police officers were injured in a series of violent clashes at the Notting Hill carnival on Monday evening.

The Metropolitan Police imposed Section 60 public order measures, giving officers powers to stop and search, in response to the stabbings.

The police officers were assaulted during an attempted arrest of a man suspected of drug dealing.

The Met said 261 arrests were made over the two-day street festival.

Of those, 157 were made on Monday and included eight people arrested for disorder at the corner of Colville Terrace and Colville Gardens, Notting Hill, in which a 29-year-old man received a serious stab wound. He was taken to hospital and remains stable.

In addition, a man was arrested over the stabbing of an 18-year-old man in Southam Street, Kensington, and six men were held on suspicion of attempted murder following another stabbing.

HOLA442

Unless this sort of thing will happen anyway on hot summer days (ok, I know that wasn't) and this means that it all happens at one time in one place when there are a lot of police around to step in.

I wouldn't ever go to it but I don't have a problem with it.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I am confused as to why it still takes place - isn't NH super wealthy but the carnival itself mostly dominated by the politically correct ethnic minorities who all seem to work in public sector arts type jobs?

It is like bankster capitalism meets outreach art therapy.

Do any of the people who take part in it actually live anywhere near NH?

HOLA4411

I am confused as to why it still takes place - isn't NH super wealthy but the carnival itself mostly dominated by the politically correct ethnic minorities who all seem to work in public sector arts type jobs?

It is like bankster capitalism meets outreach art therapy.

Do any of the people who take part in it actually live anywhere near NH?

London IME has exclusive streets of multi-million pound houses cheek-by-jowl with rough council estates. I suspect the same is true of NH but I never actually went there.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Very true. Having recently moved to London I thought I would take a trip down on Sunday and tick it of the list of things to see. First thing I noticed was that all shops and houses were boarded up and already all the boards were covered in graffiti.

After about 30 mins of watching the carnival I couldn't wait to leave. Ankle deep in rubbish, shocking music, pushing and shoving and a real tension in the air. I never seen so many with their jeans down around there backsides (don't they realise it gay jailhouse origins?). My friends that stayed longer said that as it got dark there were constant fights and it tended to gangs of black lads beating the sh** out of a single white guy.

But the best part of the day was watching an old biddy constantly throwing buckets of water from her 1st floor balcony over people pi**ing in her garden. So not all bad :D

It was probaby Champagne! :o

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest TheBlueCat

I went once back in the 80s and it was bloody scary quite frankly. My mate got mugged by a gang of steamers and I nearly had the crap kicked out of me by a pack of p1ssed up Irish guys wearing IRA themed t-shirts.

HOLA4419

After about 30 mins of watching the carnival I couldn't wait to leave. Ankle deep in rubbish, shocking music, pushing and shoving and a real tension in the air.

Exactly how I imagine it and exactly why I haven't been. Just an opportunity to voluntarily surround myself with the sort of obnoxious and antisocial people I despise. I've nothing against the parade itself BTW, if hanging about watching that sort of thing appeals to you (a fair few scantily dressed ladies I believe).

HOLA4420

Not an event that appeals to me, but the "youth" seem to think it's still worth attending - and it attracts huge numbers of tourists. We tolerate various football matches each week that also attract gangs of youths who want to kick each other.

If it were to die out of its own accord, it wouldn't sadden me in the slightest. But it's hardly at the top of the list for something to change.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Very true. Having recently moved to London I thought I would take a trip down on Sunday and tick it of the list of things to see. First thing I noticed was that all shops and houses were boarded up and already all the boards were covered in graffiti.

After about 30 mins of watching the carnival I couldn't wait to leave. Ankle deep in rubbish, shocking music, pushing and shoving and a real tension in the air. I never seen so many with their jeans down around there backsides (don't they realise it gay jailhouse origins?). My friends that stayed longer said that as it got dark there were constant fights and it tended to gangs of black lads beating the sh** out of a single white guy.

But the best part of the day was watching an old biddy constantly throwing buckets of water from her 1st floor balcony over people pi**ing in her garden. So not all bad :D

This was my experience of it the one time I went in the 1990s. It was totally pointless because the carnival parade couldn't move due to the people blocking the streets. Most of the 'floats' were just four-ton flatbed lorries with huge speakers, and crusty 'wiggers' dancing around on them drinking special brew.

What struck me most was a very young, very heavily (about 9 months) pregnant black woman sitting against a wall with a WPC with her, obviously about to go into labour. What on God's green earth was she doing there??

Any 'community feeling' it had is long gone. A (white) lady of my acquaintance who lives in the area used to volunteer at it in the old days (1970s) but said she gave up when it had obviously become a nuisance to the residents.

Most of the people don't live there but live further north west in places like Harlesden, Willesden etc, basically the descendants of the 1940s Windrush generation who gradually got pushed out of Notting Hill. BTW avoid using the tube all over West London in the evening on carnival nights. It's absolutely vile. Personally I'd move the whole thing to some park in west London like Gunnersbury (appropriate name) and have it properly supervised with airport security.

However I heard of some residents who were charging £1 a time for carnival goers to use their loo - I wouldn't fancy cleaning that up afterwards!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Not an event that appeals to me, but the "youth" seem to think it's still worth attending - and it attracts huge numbers of tourists. We tolerate various football matches each week that also attract gangs of youths who want to kick each other.

If it were to die out of its own accord, it wouldn't sadden me in the slightest. But it's hardly at the top of the list for something to change.

In my fairly limited experience of football that's the exception rather than the rule (although not so much of an exception as it should be) and most people are genuinely there for the match. The atmosphere isn't usually hostile (being Carlisle it's usually depressed but that's another story, and I've not bothered going for a couple of years anyway). Everything I've heard about the carnival suggests hostility is the norm; it holds no appeal whatsoever.

HOLA4425

In my fairly limited experience of football that's the exception rather than the rule (although not so much of an exception as it should be) and most people are genuinely there for the match. The atmosphere isn't usually hostile (being Carlisle it's usually depressed but that's another story, and I've not bothered going for a couple of years anyway). Everything I've heard about the carnival suggests hostility is the norm; it holds no appeal whatsoever.

I can recall the atmosphere of central London (and most large British towns) in the 1980s on match days. My feeling at the Notting Hill carnival was pretty similar - a sort of grim determination to have alcohol fuelled excitement, with an undercurrent of hostility - but on a much, much larger scale. I can't believe that tourists would regularly want to attend it. I think if they go, it's because they've been told it's something they should see by other tourists, like Covent Garden, or they've swallowed some propaganda about 'CAAARNIVAAAALLL' and that it's all amazing multicultural fun like in Rio de Janiero. If you come from Allwhitesville, Kansas, or suburban Germany you might think it's all very exciting at first but I doubt you'd want to go back.

People like this:

Archived