House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Independence Debate

Couldn't see a thread anywere

Anyone watching?

I'll think I'll give the rest of it a miss - but so far I'd say Alistair Darling has been quite badly beaten up by Salmond. It's certainly been feisty!

Even if there is a yes vote common sense will prevail in 10 - 20 years and the union will be back.

There should be two votes: Scotland choosing independence and England, Wales & NI deciding whether they would accept this. Both required to make it happen.

Darling torn a new one.

It's clear Scots are going to vote 'NO' in any event. One can only conclude they're spineless, gutless, lack imagination, courage, cojones and would rather be dominated by the English and Westminster like some pathetic fag end of Empire.

Darling torn a new one.

It's clear Scots are going to vote 'NO' in any event. One can only conclude they're spineless, gutless, lack imagination, courage, cojones and would rather be dominated by the English and Westminster like some pathetic fag end of Empire.

I hope you are proven wrong.

What's the point of voting Yes for so-called independence when the Scots haven't got the courage or ingenuity to even come up with their own currency? In what meaningful way is Independence going to result from such a ridiculous vote?

What's the point of voting Yes for so-called independence when the Scots haven't got the courage or ingenuity to even come up with their own currency? In what meaningful way is Independence going to result from such a ridiculous vote?

Careful, a blue-stained Mel Gibbons may rush up and start shouting "freedom" at.you.

I'm voting yes with the hope that it'll cause upset in UK politics. I don't give a shit about all the ins and outs of it.

For me voting No is just voting for more of the same.

I've no expectation that Scotland will become the land of milk and honey if Yes wins but it won't become that if No wins either.

Edited to add that I was born in England from Scottish parents and from aged 8 have lived in Scotland for the past 40+ years. I don't feel as if I'm Scottish, English or anything. I'm just me.

Darling torn a new one.

Not to mention being subjected to such contempt and disdain from the ruling elite (and the English generally, and this forum in particular, come to think of it) that any self respecting people would be rising up and bodily attacking us. It's catch-22. They are wholly and ineptly unsuited to independence. The only thing that can save them is independence.

p.s. What does "tearing a new one" mean? Who won?

Missed it I am afraid

Presumably both sides offering the Scots free heavy beer and pie supper in the sky as usual.

Good knows why people want to spend over an hour watching two politicians lying on the telly even on a wet Bank Holiday.

A lot of you guys seem to think this is some sort of anti English thing. It's not. It is an anti Westminster thing. Your childish insults are just making you sound like bigots.

As for the currency, I don't expect to be using the pound or the euro a few years after the vote assuming it is yes.

Unlike Alex Salmond, who fully expects to be using the pound for decades to come!

Even if there is a yes vote common sense will prevail in 10 - 20 years and the union will be back.

There should be two votes: Scotland choosing independence and England, Wales & NI deciding whether they would accept this. Both required to make it happen.

Why? Surely the principle of self-determination is a basic human right?

I don't have a horse in this race; I just found your comment rather bizarre.

Guest Jemmy Button

I am half Scottish (Dad was from Glasgow.) If I had the choice of a vote, I would vote a big YES for independence from London. I am praying that Scotland votes Yes and gives a big two fingers to Westminster. I only wish Cheshire could rid itself of that scumhole called London...

Guest Jemmy Button

A lot of you guys seem to think this is some sort of anti English thing. It's not. It is an anti Westminster thing. Your childish insults are just making you sound like bigots.

I agree with you.. I think even a lot of the regions of England would like to rid itself of London's crappy influence. And yes, there are a LOT of misguided bigots on this forum but, thankfully, most rational people can see straight through them.

You racist! !

Not at all. I think the sound was really bad. I tried to tune in but it just was all shouting gibberish. The only clip I saw on the news had the audience clapping for Darling.

Not at all. I think the sound was really bad. I tried to tune in but it just was all shouting gibberish. The only clip I saw on the news had the audience clapping for Darling.

It can become incomprehensible, I find strong Scots and Geordie accents the worst to understand and they are sometimes correctly subtitled on TV..

A colleague had a German boyfriend who spoke reasonable English but was entirely baffled by the barman down the local pub which he went to by himself, when she went down to check it out she discovered the barman had a thick as treacle Geordie accent that she struggled to follow.

I am not being racist against Mr XYY here :ph34r:

Anti Westminster or not if the Scots make the mistake of voting yes then they deserve everything which is coming to them.

Voting for such fundamental change should not be about what petty dislikes in where the seat of government is located.

Heard some idiot on R5 Live this morning bigging up a yes result and rejoicing in the fact they would be able to get rid of Trident and send all the defence work like shipbuilding South.

These planks don't realise how much of the Scottish economy is reliant on British government defence spending.

Did I also read on here somewhere previously that public sector jobs are disproportionally set in Scotland as opposed to the rUK?