House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEW247

Smokeless Fuel

I'd be interested to know anyone's experience of burning smokeless fuels. I live in SE London and have a load of open Victorian fire places which I'm looking to burn smokeless fuel in. Two of them have gas burners and I have used them several times but they are hideously expensive to use.

I'm thinking of having the gas burners removed and bulk buying smokeless fuel and using this instead. The house we live in is big and we have an old and very inefficient boiler and it makes no sense to have the heating on all the time and therefore the plan is to burn the fuel when we are in the sitting room or dining room, and possibly in our bedroom.

Does anyone burn smokeless fuels, if so it would be great to hear your thoughts and also let me know what is the best type to use and anyone you may have used to bulk buy from.

Thanks!

If you get the right sort of stove, you can actually run a woodburner in a smoke control area.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/smoke-control-areas-clean-air-act.html

Not sure how financially sensible it would be to buy logs in London, though.

Probably not much help, but my (small, 1-bed) flat in Berlin has coal stove heating. It's much cheaper than the alternatives, but it is a bit of a faff acquiring the stuff, and keeping it alight. Costs €2,50 for 10 kg from the diy store, which lasts about a week, but I do like it quite cold.

Not sure how financially sensible it would be to buy logs in London, though.

My neighbour has a chainsaw, he goes around offering to cut down overly large trees for people

My neighbour has a chainsaw, he goes around offering to cut down overly large trees for people

Serial killer, I'll bet! :wacko:

I burn smokeless fuel in a stove which is really good. I don't know how it does in an open fire though.

A bit of advice I followed was to buy small bags to try as there are quite a few different types. then you can find the best one before shelling out for bulk quantities.

I'm slowly moving to getting a multi fuel burner installed, don't trust Putin and I suspect the UK will be short of gas this winter.

Luckily our govt built large gas storage facilities during the oil boom to see us through a winter....

Ive got some "smokeless" fuel from the internet! It gets a bit hot, and makes the Geiger counter go off a bit!! :blink:

I'm slowly moving to getting a multi fuel burner installed, don't trust Putin and I suspect the UK will be short of gas this winter.

Luckily our govt built large gas storage facilities during the oil boom to see us through a winter....

Yes, one of the aspects I like about the multi-fuel stove is that it gives me options on what I can burn for heat. Hardwood pallets, wood off cuts from building work, logs, peat or smokeless fuel.

All of which I can store myself!

It's nice to know that I'm going to be warm in the winter and any cost has been paid already.

Edited to add. I also have an Aga kettle and heat water on the stove. Another bonus is that I can cook on it too. It took a bit of practise but I can make soup, stews, boil rice/potatoes and steam veg. So that's even less money that utility companies get off me.