House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Diggers And Dreamers

http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk/index.php?one=mes&two=mes&sel=pnm

Interesting list of commune style living looking for more people...

It's actually a dream of a lady I know! Sell all the small houses and live in a big one together! Unfortunatley I'm a misereble barsteward and don't like people!

It's actually a dream of a lady I know! Sell all the small houses and live in a big one together! Unfortunatley I'm a misereble barsteward and don't like people!

Yeah.. sadly I too am after having no neighbours ..

Yeah.. sadly I too am after having no neighbours ..

How did you get rid of yours?

How did you get rid of yours?

Pretending they don't exist?

No, I still have neighbours but would love not to.

I want 20-30 acres wrapped around my house.

And a gun.

For rabbits.

Out of curiosity 4 or 5 years ago I arranged a visit to a place on the list of communities near here.

There was a main house, a few other small dwellings, woods, fields for animals, a huge veg plot and a shed with hot tub by a lake. The grounds were beautiful and peaceful and the place in general was neat and tidy.

They were self sufficient for heating and a lot of their food. I can't remember the monthly rent but is was low, something like £100-£200 per month.

The person I met who showed me around had lived in the community for 25+. Overall they liked it and was happy with life. However there were problems. Each member was committed to 3 days working for the community and this often caused problems with people doing their share. Also many of the members had part time paid jobs outwith the community which left them short on time for personal pursuits. They held a lot of events for raising money for the community which was extra work.

Having seen around and heard about community life I was able to cross that way of life off my list of possibilities.

Interesting day out though.

Out of curiosity 4 or 5 years ago I arranged a visit to a place on the list of communities near here.

There was a main house, a few other small dwellings, woods, fields for animals, a huge veg plot and a shed with hot tub by a lake. The grounds were beautiful and peaceful and the place in general was neat and tidy.

They were self sufficient for heating and a lot of their food. I can't remember the monthly rent but is was low, something like £100-£200 per month.

The person I met who showed me around had lived in the community for 25+. Overall they liked it and was happy with life. However there were problems. Each member was committed to 3 days working for the community and this often caused problems with people doing their share. Also many of the members had part time paid jobs outwith the community which left them short on time for personal pursuits. They held a lot of events for raising money for the community which was extra work.

Having seen around and heard about community life I was able to cross that way of life off my list of possibilities.

It works for some people!

Fascinating that in day and age with all of our progress and technology that a self sufficient community could end up with less free time than a medieval serf. Wouldn't be my idea of the good life either.

Fascinating that in day and age with all of our progress and technology that a self sufficient community could end up with less free time than a medieval serf. Wouldn't be my idea of the good life either.

*ahem* Citizen's income

Well, that's communism for you.

Still "dreamers" I think! It's a nice idea, but I don't think many people could hack it! There are economies of scale! You could have one giant fridge, rather than a little one each! You wouldn't need one car each! One TV license for those so disposed to watch the thing! Some people like gardening, others like cooking or DIY! There would probable be somebody in to accept parcels! Still I don't think it realistic for most people!