House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Looking For A Pair Of Waterproof Approach Type Shoes For The Winter

I am thinking of buying these:

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/footwear/walking-shoes/mens/lockton-waterproof-walking-shoe-p1877.aspx?cl=LIME#product-text

They don't look the most attractive things on the planet but they are apparently waterproof.

I had a pair of rockport waterproof boots last winter that were anything but waterproof - rubbish - and I have given up on buying merrells as the quality is rubbish now IMPO and so many reviews online complain about them not being at all waterproof.

I have some quality walking boots which are lovely and waterproof and, touch wood, will continue to be but I want a low-slung approach type walking shoe that is also waterproof.

I suppose yo have to sacrifice stye and weight to get a real waterproof pair but if anyone has any suggestions of a shoe that they own which is comfy and waterproof please let me know.

What the hell are "approach shoes" Mr Tulip...?

Unless informed otherwise, I am assuming that they are very soft shoes that allow you to effortlessly sneak up on sheep...!

;)

XYY

I don't bother with shoes, until it goes like minus 30!

Unless informed otherwise, I am assuming that they are very soft shoes that allow you to effortlessly sneak up on sheep...!

;)

XYY

Please be aware I'm shamelessly playing jazz here...

They're for use by mountaineers in the approach to a climb. They should be pretty weatherproof and good for walking, particularly with firmer than average soles to cope with hard, relativity uneven ground conditions.

;)

XYY

Stalking shoes.

I have no idea what approach shoes are. I look at trail shoes and approach shoes online and can't figure out the difference either. Just fancy names to charge more I guess. To me there are:

1. Shoes.

2. Boots.

3. Trainers.

4. Slippers.

5. Stilettos

If it means anything, the reviews on the page you linked seem pretty positive. Maybe if I was now looking for a replacement for my old, adored circa 2004 Merrells (like I was about a year or so ago), then I may even be considering these myself. (I still wear the Merrells incidentally--but only when it's dry.)

I ended up with some okay-to-so-so Karrimors for about twenty-odd quid from Sports Direct, and probably won't be able to bring myself to buy more till they're either worn out or seriously letting me down in the waterproof department.

Wow - stealth-shoes...!

You should get a pair of those Klingon branded ones - apparently you can you still fire your weapons while cloaked...

;)

XYY

If it means anything, the reviews on the page you linked seem pretty positive. Maybe if I was now looking for a replacement for my old, adored circa 2004 Merrells (like I was about a year or so ago), then I may even be considering these myself. (I still wear the Merrells incidentally--but only when it's dry.)

I ended up with some okay-to-so-so Karrimors for about twenty-odd quid from Sports Direct, and probably won't be able to bring myself to buy more till they're either worn out or seriously letting me down in the waterproof department.

Yep, the positive reviews - and so many of them - are the main reason why I am considering these.

I had a pair of Merrells from circa 2003 that lasted me years and were fantastic. But several recent pairs all fell apart within a month so no longer bothering with them now - they have quality prices seemingly without the quality these days.

Nothing worse than walking miles in wet shoes.

;)

XYY

Tulip has fessed up and shamed the nation! :o

Just what is this English obsession with sheep?

It's 'cos we want some hot sheep action too - but we can't chat them up as we don't speak Welsh...!

;)

XYY

I challenge Mr XYY to a naked clog fight, like they do in Lancashire! Then we can have a few pints!

Is anything "suede" really waterproof?

It's got to be shiny IMO. When you spit on it in the shop, it's got to run down the side, not soak in.

If someone were to cover a pair of Wellingtons with suede, would they still be waterproof? :P

I challenge Mr XYY to a naked clog fight, like they do in Lancashire! Then we can have a few pints!

Can't we dispense with the nude cloggery and just have LOTS of pints instead...?

:)

XYY

Can't we dispense with the nude cloggery and just have LOTS of pints instead...?

:)

XYY

OK then, not much of a clog fighter meself either! :blink: I'm from wrong side o't Pennines! -_-