HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

What happens when a city is so ef-nic-ly mixed its not mixed anymore? Ie everyone is coffee coloured and so it just looks homogenous again?

That's what I don't get about ef-nic diversity. Its just a transitional stage and ultimately destroys itself. It must. Ironically segregation or separation are the only things that can maintain a global diversity of races. The so called 'rainbow nation' of south Africa is quickly going back to being 100% African.

HOLA4410

Paul Mason makes some decent points here - although I disagree about the being near the sea bit (imo it attracts too many tourists)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/25/10-things-a-perfect-city-needs

I would also (dis)agree with the finance bit.

Or rather write it as 'to prosper economically, cities must steal from elsewhere, as they stopped creating actual wealth circa 1950'

HOLA4411

Free flowing road network within city.

(Relatively) low building density.

Large parks with trees and lakes.

Buildings of historical interest open to public.

Good central market and shopping centre w/free parking.

Coastal with natural harbour and cheap swing moorings.

Dedicated beach for jet skis / powerboats.. another for sailing / swimming with free access to all.

Reasonable proximity /access to main arterial roads and centres.

Unspoilt surrounding villages with rolling countryside and lots of public footpaths.

Smallest / most remote local council possible.

HOLA4412

What happens when a city is so ef-nic-ly mixed its not mixed anymore? Ie everyone is coffee coloured and so it just looks homogenous again?

That's what I don't get about ef-nic diversity. Its just a transitional stage and ultimately destroys itself. It must. Ironically segregation or separation are the only things that can maintain a global diversity of races. The so called 'rainbow nation' of south Africa is quickly going back to being 100% African.

Well yes.

Mass immigration is supported by three main groups:

• Businesses who want cheap labour and weak unions
  • Upper / middle classes who want readily available cheap tradesmen (the Polish plumber)
  • Tony Blair-type globalists who see people as interchangeable numbers to be governed as a single mass

These are powerful groups so it keeps happening despite a bit of lip-service from the government to keep voters on-side.

HOLA4413

Dedicated beach for jet skis / powerboats.. another for sailing / swimming with free access to all.

Unspoilt surrounding villages with rolling countryside and lots of public footpaths.

Poole.....comes fairly close but not a city. ;)

HOLA4414

That would be Redcar then :)

HOLA4415

I would also (dis)agree with the finance bit.

Or rather write it as 'to prosper economically, cities must steal from elsewhere, as they stopped creating actual wealth circa 1950'

The scariest thing is, even the Guardian now believes that it is somehow a good thing, that 15 ~ 20% of the workforce is devoted to shuffling numbers around on computers until they are so confusing that the other 80% delude themselves into thinking that they are getting something out of it. Meanwhile the bankers have the highest salaries, shiniest offices, biggest cars, while all their customers somehow get poorer year by year.

HOLA4416

Well yes.

Mass immigration is supported by three main groups:

• Businesses who want cheap labour and weak unions
  • Upper / middle classes who want readily available cheap tradesmen (the Polish plumber)
  • Tony Blair-type globalists who see people as interchangeable numbers to be governed as a single mass

These are powerful groups so it keeps happening despite a bit of lip-service from the government to keep voters on-side.

Its just the irony that makes me scratch my head.

The supposed proponents of diversity don't like borders. But borders, be they natural (mountain ranges, deserts, seas/oceans and so on) or walls or fences are the only things that gave us what we've come to call diversity in the first place.

I think you mention the practicalities. I think there are two type's of people who on a mental level like the current human globalism.

Those who are too stupid to look forward more than a decade or so and don't see how 'diversity' actually destroys diversity.

Those ideologues who think when the racial construct is destroyed, we'll all get along - because 100% white ulster had no problems, and the 100% brown middle east is also known for its completely unified populace! The reality is humans fight. Most whites are killed by other whites, most blacks by other blacks.

HOLA4417

My criteria for an excellent city:

- great public transport infrastructure,

- great walking and cycling

- compact and dense

- shops, school, work, etc all close together

- in-town employment

- historic bits and new bits

- swimmable sea and beach

- easy bus access to/from countryside

- good rail connectivity

- thriving cultural life

- strong sense of defiant self.

I'm going to amaze you all and say that Portsmouth's not far off. Sure, it's not grand and expensive. But it knocks the socks off most cities as a place to actually live.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Re open borders: I believe borders should be fully open as I'm a libertarian.

Two questions, one on the current situation, given that we are not in any way a libertarian society or anywhere near...

Does it not worry you about the moral hazard of having a welfare state and open borders - as Friedman said "you can have open borders or a welfare state...choose one" and more importantly does it worry you that we have democracy rather than the rule of law...democracy by definition appealing to groups, and allowing larger groups to abuse and harm smaller groups via government force?

And two, a hypothetical one in the construction of a pure libertarian state.

Do you also believe people should have their right of freedom of association returned to them? So while national borders may not exist, de facto segregation in the form of private estates and communities could indeed occur. I certainly have no desire to be rudely awoken by the shrill schreech of the Islamic call to prayer at the crack of dawn so would likely choose to live in a zero-muslim (or even better an atheist) community.

For me the answer is yes to both. I'd take open borders. As soon as the rest of the state apparatus that force me to live alongside ideologies I don't much like is destroyed.

HOLA4421

Two questions, one on the current situation, given that we are not in any way a libertarian society or anywhere near...

Does it not worry you about the moral hazard of having a welfare state and open borders - as Friedman said "you can have open borders or a welfare state...choose one"

I agree entirely with Friedman on this. You have to choose one. And I choose open borders. Non-contributory welfare is damaging to the natives - with or without immigration. So I choose to campaign against benefits-culture, not open borders.

and more importantly does it worry you that we have democracy rather than the rule of law...democracy by definition appealing to groups, and allowing larger groups to abuse and harm smaller groups via government force?

Not sure what you're saying here?

And two, a hypothetical one in the construction of a pure libertarian state.

Do you also believe people should have their right of freedom of association returned to them? So while national borders may not exist, de facto segregation in the form of private estates and communities could indeed occur. I certainly have no desire to be rudely awoken by the shrill schreech of the Islamic call to prayer at the crack of dawn so would likely choose to live in a zero-muslim (or even better an atheist) community.

For me the answer is yes to both. I'd take open borders. As soon as the rest of the state apparatus that force me to live alongside ideologies I don't much like is destroyed.

In an ideal world, the state would not tell people what they can and can't chant at prayer time, or whether they can ring bells on churches or not.

HOLA4422

Poole.....comes fairly close but not a city. ;)

That would be Redcar then :)

Both good suggestions..

I didn't mention a weather criteria.. but if you could just arrange for Poole to be moved up to Redcar (weather and all), that would be great, I'll take it.. :D

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

My Aunt was a topiarist. She cut my uncle's hedges into the shape of giant willies and frightened the horses!

I know your aunt! She trimmed my pubes once!

HOLA4425

Archived