House Price Crash Forum

Exploring The Uk

Steppenpig

HOLA441

This is probably all a bit vague, but say you'd been living abroad for a few years and planned to return to the uk, but you didn't have any particular links to any particular areas, how would you go about deciding where to settle? For some reason I find this much trickier when thinking about the UK, than about other countries. I think I'd like to spend a few weeks staying a few days here and there in the major cities, probably in Premier Inns, have a look round the town centres, maybe visit a few tourist attractions. I suppose I could produce a check list of things I like: libraries, swimming pools, cycling/skating facilities, cheap housing, good transport links etc, but I expect it would really come down to gut feeling or even hazard eventually.

Anyone got any experiences to share?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

You will have to spin that globe again and put your finger somewhere else.

Absolutely.

However if you decide to come home consider any of the villages between Tamworth and Lichfield. Property prices are reasonable, Commutable to many places of well paid work (brum, notts and Sheffield to think of a few), rolling accessible countryside nearby (national forest/peaks), outstanding primary schools, *beautiful women... in short paradise. Only thing we are missing is a beach.

*disclaimer:subjective

HOLA446

This is an interesting question for me even though I'm living in the UK.

Unlike a lot of people, my work isn't especially associated with the area in which I live, and hasn't been for quite a few years. In fact, the town I live in currently is just the location of my last PAYE employer. Other than through familiarity, I'm not especially tied to the area, and it's caused me to wonder from time to time, when I come to buy a house (which still seems to me to be a fairly likely eventuality) whether the choice of location would be a carte blanche.

Part of the difficulty would be finding out if anywhere else in the UK would actually be better than where I am now. Visiting somewhere for a few days doesn't feel like it would be anything like a thorough enough way to find out what other places would be like to live in.

In my case, I'll probably take the least-resistance route and stay more or less where I am... but the OP's question interests me nonetheless.

HOLA447

To the OP - a few suggestions. Try close to the central belt of Scotland - close to big centres like Glasgow and Edinburgh, but also great scenery and coastlines. Drawback is the climate - not a lot better in Yorkshire and lancs, but again close to major conurbations.

A bit further south and yes Staffs, or Derbys or Lincs can give you both access to vibrant cities as well as countryside...

Of course you can go further south, and places like the south west have fantastic scenery, but then the cost of living becomes higher... Thinking about it, yes there are plenty of beautiful areas in the UK. Shame it's all become prohibitively expensive to earn one's living in a honest way.

HOLA448

I think for most people it's probably decided primarily by their employment. After that, to be near family, friends, childhood hometown, university town, fantasy holiday destination remembered from childhood, somewhere hipster (Brighton, Cornwall, maybe Bristol) or with a similar draw, get a gig on Escape to the Country...

You will have to spin that globe again and put your finger somewhere else.

I know, it's embarrassing. And for all the usual embarrassing reasons.

HOLA449

Turns out there is already a similar recent thread over in the South East forum

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/200394-take-the-money-and-run-but-to-where-in-britain/#entry1102569046

I have some friends whose kids have flown the nest and are considering a change in pace of life. They have a fairly decent amount of equity in their house in the South East circa £500k and are in the early stages of considering selling up, and looking to buy a house outright for £250k, leaving the other half to be invested to provide an income drawdown for 20 years until they are pensioners and some modest work pensions kick in. They have mentioned Lincolnshire as a possible destination for no other reason than they can see how far their money stretches there.

It got me wondering how many HPC'ers have taken the money and ran or are considering doing it and what area of Britain could provide the best balance of climate, access to healthcare, shopping and entertainment, possible p/t work, scenery etc.

Can £250k provide you with £250 a week drawdown index linked for 20 years? With no mortgage and I suppose some chicks and veg patch etc is this enough to live modestly or will p/t work be necessary?

Any thoughts, comments, experiences to share welcome.....

HOLA4410

Absolutely.

However if you decide to come home consider any of the villages between Tamworth and Lichfield. Property prices are reasonable, Commutable to many places of well paid work (brum, notts and Sheffield to think of a few), rolling accessible countryside nearby (national forest/peaks), outstanding primary schools, *beautiful women... in short paradise. Only thing we are missing is a beach.

*disclaimer:subjective

Very subjective indeed ^_^

Tamworth is named obesity capital of Britain

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

For cheapish houses and a nice place in a nice area I like Weymouth. Slightly rough around the edges and an absence of decent jobs are the downsides.

I don't live there but am a regular visitor.

Is that a "knocking shop" Frank? :blink:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I went through this exercise last year and came up with Cheltenham, for what it's worth. (I had a bias to schools, culture and countryside.) I'm sure it has its negative points, but relatively I thought it stacked up well.

Decent call and vast numbers of office jobs in the area.

The only real downside for me (I lived up there for several years) is no sea / beaches. For some people that won't be an issue.

HOLA4417

Decent call and vast numbers of office jobs in the area.

The only real downside for me (I lived up there for several years) is no sea / beaches. For some people that won't be an issue.

I'm a crusty old sea dog Frank! I drove a wooden desk for the Royal Navy for a few years, but never a whiff of fish! :blink:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I considered Cheltenham but someone who was from there said that it was horribly snobbish.

Indeed! This is the town that didn't vote for their Tory candidate for once, because he was black, so they voted Liberal instead!

HOLA4420

Indeed! This is the town that didn't vote for their Tory candidate for once, because he was black, so they voted Liberal instead!

Aye, avoid them Cheltenham snobs and consider relocating to the cosmopolitan metropolis that is British West Hartlepool.

We voted in a monkey for mayor in 2002, and you all know what used to happen to them simian bastads around here in days of yore...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1965569.stm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger

;)

XYY

HOLA4421

Aye, avoid them Cheltenham snobs and consider relocating to the cosmopolitan metropolis that is British West Hartlepool.

We voted in a monkey for mayor in 2002, and you all know what used to happen to them simian bastads around here in days of yore...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1965569.stm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger

;)

XYY

It's shit up North! Why not come down West, and head the 50kg cheese into a pile of shit!

HOLA4422

I considered Cheltenham but someone who was from there said that it was horribly snobbish.

I've never even been to Cheltenham. On paper, from a distance, it looks like one of the best corners of England with a lot going for it. Snobbish is a subjective word. It could mean that they are trying to maintain standards and for example, don't want men walking through the streets without a shirt on. Or it could mean they judge you because you live on the wrong side of the tracks. It could mean almost anything!

HOLA4423

I've never even been to Cheltenham. On paper, from a distance, it looks like one of the best corners of England with a lot going for it. Snobbish is a subjective word. It could mean that they are trying to maintain standards and for example, don't want men walking through the streets without a shirt on. Or it could mean they judge you because you live on the wrong side of the tracks. It could mean almost anything!

And it also assumes that there is a single Cheltenham, I worked with one small quiet lad who moved from 'nam to the smaller quieter Cirencester because he never quite felt safe there.

There's a lot of crime and one big rough council estate. It's not Stockwell or anything and I'd happily live there but IME it's a regular town with a very nice centre, next door is Gloucester, a regular city with a not very nice centre.

HOLA4424

Yeah, I hear you. I didn't rule it out for the reasons you state. It would be a good commute for me and more choice of better houses than where I live at the moment.

However, my mate said that the decent parts were over gentified. Whatever that means.

HOLA4425

And it also assumes that there is a single Cheltenham, I worked with one small quiet lad who moved from 'nam to the smaller quieter Cirencester because he never quite felt safe there.

There's a lot of crime and one big rough council estate. It's not Stockwell or anything and I'd happily live there but IME it's a regular town with a very nice centre, next door is Gloucester, a regular city with a not very nice centre.

I dunno. I can't get over the serial killer associations of Gloucester.

Archived